Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Great call on Hornick, but he'll probably just have for the Islanders. I'm actually looking for the W/L for players in/out of their lineups for all teams in the NHL. If you see that let me know.

We actually had a great record with Boychuk that carried over into this season but he deteriorated

We had a similar type of record with Andrew MacDonald in the early 2010's he would always break bones and be out for 4-6 weeks and we would fall back in the standings... this is before he became bad towards the end of his tenure

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Day of reflection, and future decisions. This may be a controversial statement. But I think Pelech is the Isles most valuable D man. He showed it when he was out, and IMO he has been the Isles best D man in the entire playoffs. He is still under contract, but IMO he is one player the Isles should not let get away from them.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Day of reflection, and future decisions. This may be a controversial statement. But I think Pelech is the Isles most valuable D man. He showed it when he was out, and IMO he has been the Isles best D man in the entire playoffs. He is still under contract, but IMO he is one player the Isles should not let get away from them.
Totally agree. He will be the backbone partner of a very offensive-minded scoring D.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Both he and Pulock are inarguably our top 2 defenseman. In trade value, id give the edge to Pulock, but either way you hold onto both of them.

Hopefully Dobson can take a big step next year and we can move either Toewa/Mayfield for help up front.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010

Nah, here’s a controversial statement:

Pelech is our most valuable player.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Not controversial at all. Pelech provides what no one else on our defense can. And he is far more consistent of a player overall than Pulock and Leddy, who I’d argue is still our present number 3 despite the trade talk.

Alas, the defensive defensemen breed tends to wear down faster than other players. But we can enjoy his prime years right now and he’ll have earned whatever his next contract is. Salivating at the prospect of Pelech and Dobson playing together once Dobson is fully up to speed with the NHL game. I think they are an even better fit for eachother than the Pelech-Pulock duo. Hopefully Dobson can get there sooner rather than later, and the Islanders will have an incredible first pairing for the next 5 years.

If we are able to retain Leddy and clear money from other routes, he and Pulock will be a nice second pair. IIRC they played well together as our pseudo top pairing, but it’s been a while. Allows Mayfield to slot in where he belongs on the 3rd pair, ditto for Toews although I don’t think they are a good fit for eachother and Toews may well be a more interesting trade chip to upgrade at RW.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Not controversial at all. Pelech provides what no one else on our defense can. And he is far more consistent of a player overall than Pulock and Leddy, who I’d argue is still our present number 3 despite the trade talk.

Alas, the defensive defensemen breed tends to wear down faster than other players. But we can enjoy his prime years right now and he’ll have earned whatever his next contract is. Salivating at the prospect of Pelech and Dobson playing together once Dobson is fully up to speed with the NHL game. I think they are an even better fit for eachother than the Pelech-Pulock duo. Hopefully Dobson can get there sooner rather than later, and the Islanders will have an incredible first pairing for the next 5 years.

If we are able to retain Leddy and clear money from other routes, he and Pulock will be a nice second pair. IIRC they played well together as our pseudo top pairing, but it’s been a while. Allows Mayfield to slot in where he belongs on the 3rd pair, ditto for Toews although I don’t think they are a good fit for eachother and Toews may well be a more interesting trade chip to upgrade at RW.
They didn't, they weren't very good together. I thought this too because the first game they played together went really well. Someone gave me a link to their pairing and all the associated fancy stats and they were awful. Colored me surprised it did.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He played somewhere over 25 minute in game 5 with the broken wrist. A warrior.
A warrior hoped up on meds to not feel the pain. He didn't play that raw. That's ok, but let's not act like he was feeling it while he was playing.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
We actually had a great record with Boychuk that carried over into this season but he deteriorated

We had a similar type of record with Andrew MacDonald in the early 2010's he would always break bones and be out for 4-6 weeks and we would fall back in the standings... this is before he became bad towards the end of his tenure
Andrew Macdonald will always be a guy I look back on with unfortunate disappointment. Poor Flyer fans watched their GM pay the price for reputation rather than post injury performance. How he unlearned how to close a gap is beyond me. He was so good, I think he played like 40 games with Streit in his first stint and they were so good. Ah well.

Reactions: bigtim1988

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He sucks, trade him for Shea Weber! (Disgruntled Islander fan comment circa 2014)
I’d take a healthy Shea Weber any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially the 2014 version.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Pretty good recognition here

was expecting to see Pelech rise up the ratings, but not this much. is very cool.

and yikes! another 5 mil contract. as long as he can stay healthy, i think. but better to have too many of those, than not enough.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This one is going to be interesting next summer. 26 year old, one year away from UFA status. Isles will have the hammer when his contract ends. Still a RFA. Cizikas comes off the books. Other RFA's to consider will need new contracts, Sorokin and Beauvillier. There is no doubt, Pelech is a valuable Islander.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A great read on Pelech on 31 thoughts. I recommend.

21. Before the Vegas expansion draft, then-New York Islanders GM Garth Snow protected Adam Pelech. At the time, he took a ton of heat, as Pelech had played just 53 NHL games. But Snow knew Golden Knights architect George McPhee — previously an Islanders consultant — liked Pelech. As we’ve learned, there’s a lot to like. Quietly, he’s become one the NHL’s top defenders, a critical piece on the East-leading Islanders.

Pelech laughed when I told him I heard the key to success is his older brothers. One source: “Adam is tough because his brothers beat the crap out of him and made him do crazy stuff growing up.” Matt, 33, was drafted 26th overall by Calgary in 2005, played 13 NHL games and retired only when COVID ended last season (he was in Belfast). Mike, 31, was taken 156th by Los Angeles in 2009, and is in his 12th year as a pro with the ECHL’s Indy Fuel.

“My dad used to build a rink in our backyard, and the story my mother (Patricia) likes to tell is that when I was three, she looked out the window and saw my brothers had put me in the goalie pads,” Adam, 26, said. “She ran outside and freaked out.”

When did they first admit you were the best Pelech?

“If you ask them, I’m sure they’d say they realized it before I did. They are always the first to pump my tires.”

22. Watching Pelech and Ryan Pulock in the bubble was a real revelation; they’re a truly under-appreciated pair. Pelech’s first coach at OHL Erie was Robbie Ftorek — “Such a good teacher,” said Pelech — who got him on the road to the NHL.

“He loved guys using the backhand at practice,” Pelech said. “He would always say, ‘Stay between your man and the puck, between your man and the net, see both the man and the puck.’”

Do you still follow those rules? “It’s tough, but I try,” he said, laughing.

What does Barry Trotz come at you with? “Being more firm — making firm plays. Especially in front of the net, winning those battles all of the time.”

23. One part of the conversation I particularly enjoyed was about expectations. Pelech didn’t want to hear about expectations not being high for the Islanders at times. “For us they are,” he interrupted. “Since day one.”
He’s a big part of that identity, and is one year away from unrestricted free agency.

“I love it here. I see myself as an Islander.”

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

21. Before the Vegas expansion draft, then-New York Islanders GM Garth Snow protected Adam Pelech. At the time, he took a ton of heat, as Pelech had played just 53 NHL games. But Snow knew Golden Knights architect George McPhee — previously an Islanders consultant — liked Pelech. As we’ve learned, there’s a lot to like. Quietly, he’s become one the NHL’s top defenders, a critical piece on the East-leading Islanders.

Pelech laughed when I told him I heard the key to success is his older brothers. One source: “Adam is tough because his brothers beat the crap out of him and made him do crazy stuff growing up.” Matt, 33, was drafted 26th overall by Calgary in 2005, played 13 NHL games and retired only when COVID ended last season (he was in Belfast). Mike, 31, was taken 156th by Los Angeles in 2009, and is in his 12th year as a pro with the ECHL’s Indy Fuel.

“My dad used to build a rink in our backyard, and the story my mother (Patricia) likes to tell is that when I was three, she looked out the window and saw my brothers had put me in the goalie pads,” Adam, 26, said. “She ran outside and freaked out.”

“If you ask them, I’m sure they’d say they realized it before I did. They are always the first to pump my tires.”

22. Watching Pelech and Ryan Pulock in the bubble was a real revelation; they’re a truly under-appreciated pair. Pelech’s first coach at OHL Erie was Robbie Ftorek — “Such a good teacher,” said Pelech — who got him on the road to the NHL.

“He loved guys using the backhand at practice,” Pelech said. “He would always say, ‘Stay between your man and the puck, between your man and the net, see both the man and the puck.’”

What does Barry Trotz come at you with? “Being more firm — making firm plays. Especially in front of the net, winning those battles all of the time.”

23. One part of the conversation I particularly enjoyed was about expectations. Pelech didn’t want to hear about expectations not being high for the Islanders at times. “For us they are,” he interrupted. “Since day one.”
He’s a big part of that identity, and is one year away from unrestricted free agency.

The feeling is mutual Adam

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I knew it! I always suspected that this is why he was protected.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
1423F5BB-A135-42AC-AB94-C9C50AC80AC6.jpeg

Elite.

Reactions: PWJunior and buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad