Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's earned a core 4 rating with me. Really missed him when he was out earlier this season. In today's cap world, it is best to identify 4 key D men, and pay them to stay. Unfortunately you can't do this for all 6 or 7.

There will be tough decisions moving fwd. But Pelech to me is a key guy, especially with Pulock on the top pairing.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He's earned a core 4 rating with me. Really missed him when he was out earlier this season. In today's cap world, it is best to identify 4 key D men, and pay them to stay. Unfortunately you can't do this for all 6 or 7.

There will be tough decisions moving fwd. But Pelech to me is a key guy, especially with Pulock on the top pairing.

It's going to be tough to keep them all for sure. However Mayfield's contract will make it much easier. Still think Leddy makes decent trade bait but Lou's waiting until he has to move him (which is understandable).

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It's going to be tough to keep them all for sure. However Mayfield's contract will make it much easier. Still think Leddy makes decent trade bait but Lou's waiting until he has to move him (which is understandable).

That will probably be this offseason with the raises that are coming due. We’re already missing our first 2 picks so Leddy for futures makes sense.

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He is the new Vlasic.

Since I never studied Vlassic's game I can't say yes or no, but feels like people thought Vlassic was very good at D. Maybe Pelech needs a few more years and the whole league will know.*

*I'll bet they pay attention once he gets his next contract in 2022.

Reactions: Quicklime

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Pulock and Pelech are MUST keeps. Everyone else is tradable.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Pulock and Pelech are MUST keeps. Everyone else is tradable.

Let's add Dobson to that list as well, given his unique talent, potential AND since he is on an ELC.

Otherwise, I am fine with any other defenseman potentially being moved, in the right deal of course, if it allows the Isles to retain core players and/or helps bring in a missing piece either directly or by allowing for more cap room.

In a perfect world I would also want to hang on to Toews next.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Kinda funny to think that Pelech has basically become exactly what Griffin Reinhart was expected to be.

EDIT: Lol, just read through some of this threads earlier postings... seems others share the view that Pelech has supplanted the player Reinhart was expected to become.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hogan Shannon

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I know what happened with Reinhart but Pokka is the one that surprised as a complete bust. He put together 2 good seasons at Rockford but never seemed part of the Hawks plans.

Pelech has been unreal. I was skeptical at first but he was terrific in the playoffs last year. He and Pulock are a legit top pairing.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Its going to come down to moving Boychuk and Leddy's contracts at some point. Pulock and Pelech will get paid, Toews a bit less, Mayfield is on an affordable contract, and Dobson still on his ELC, so you should be able to keep those 5 locked in.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Kinda funny to think that Pelech has basically become exactly what Griffin Reinhart was expected to be.

EDIT: Lol, just read through some of this threads earlier postings... seems others share the view that Pelech has supplanted the player Reinhart was expected to become.
I have to give Snow a lot of credit. Isles had quite a few quality, blueline prospects in the pipeline and I wasn't happy seeing the isles tie up 2 roster spots with longterm deals for the unproven Pelech & Mayfield.
Now, both team friendly contracts are among the best bang for the buck, in the nhl.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Nearly everyone here thought Pelech was not going to make the NHL. When I said 4 years ago that Pelech is our future #2, people laughed and these were the same people that bitched at Snow for keeping him during the Vegas expansion draft.

Pelech does remind me a bit of Mark Howe..very tough and strong. I can't wait to see what his prime looks like.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Nearly everyone here thought Pelech was not going to make the NHL. When I said 4 years ago that Pelech is our future #2, people laughed and these were the same people that bitched at Snow for keeping him during the Vegas expansion draft.

Pelech does remind me a bit of Mark Howe..very tough and strong. I can't wait to see what his prime looks like.
Pelech didn't get off to a good start in this regular season. He was a healthy scratch for a game in November, IIRC. Then after that it seemed like the light bulb went on over his head and he became our most solid defenseman until his injury. Glad to see he came back as solid as before he got hurt.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Not everyone, some of us defended him. But I agree with your general premise, some people are way too impatient with younger players. Especially when it comes to defenseman.

When you got a guy like Pelech, with a good physical skill set ( big, rangy with a decent set of wheels) all the while touted as defensive defenseman... then I don't want to hear how he's a bust until after he's played close to 300 games. A number given by Dennis Potvin when suggesting the amount of games it takes a defenseman to just feel acclimated.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Isles' 2019/20 record with Pelech reg season and playoffs is 31-11-3

True that Czikas and a few others missed games during the slide as well but it's obvious that Pelech has a big influence on stabilizing this strong D group.

His work against the Caps top line has been impressive so far.

Anyone know where to filter stats for any NHL player's team record with them in/out of the lineup?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have to give Snow a lot of credit. Isles had quite a few quality, blueline prospects in the pipeline and I wasn't happy seeing the isles tie up 2 roster spots with longterm deals for the unproven Pelech & Mayfield.
Now, both team friendly contracts are among the best bang for the buck, in the nhl.

You really don't.

Again most NHL GMs only focus on the top prospects and rarely if ever see those guys drafted after the 1st round. The credit for unearthing the Pelech's and Mayfield's of the world lays solely on the shoulders of the scouts who travel the country and world throughout the year to some seriously cold and remote places to see teenagers play hockey.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You really don't.

Again most NHL GMs only focus on the top prospects and rarely if ever see those guys drafted after the 1st round. The credit for unearthing the Pelech's and Mayfield's of the world lays solely on the shoulders of the scouts who travel the country and world throughout the year to some seriously cold and remote places to see teenagers play hockey.
So good job here by Snow and his scouts. Snow made the final decision to offer long-term deals.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well, Snow drafted talent well, but developed it poorly. So he signed the raw material cheap, but I think Trotz' development of them is what has made their deals look fantastic.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Its going to come down to moving Boychuk and Leddy's contracts at some point. Pulock and Pelech will get paid, Toews a bit less, Mayfield is on an affordable contract, and Dobson still on his ELC, so you should be able to keep those 5 locked in.
Hi Beacon, I have Pulock, Pelech, and Dobson as core D men. I agree on Toews, Mayfield is super nice to have since his cap hit is so low, and he is a perfect 3rd pairing D man on the upper side. If anything, I would like to find a partner for Dobson. A left handed Partner, I know he can play either side, but I am a proponent of righty and lefty pairings. Regardless, Isles are nicely stocked on D. Hoping for big things from Bolduc down the line.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Hi Beacon, I have Pulock, Pelech, and Dobson as core D men. I agree on Toews, Mayfield is super nice to have since his cap hit is so low, and he is a perfect 3rd pairing D man on the upper side. If anything, I would like to find a partner for Dobson. A left handed Partner, I know he can play either side, but I am a proponent of righty and lefty pairings. Regardless, Isles are nicely stocked on D. Hoping for big things from Bolduc down the line.

Ideally, at some point you can have Pelech-Pulock, Toews-Dobson, Aho/Bolduc-Mayfield, three L/R pairings.

Next year, if you can move Leddy, you can have Pelech-Pulock, Toews-Mayfield, Greene-Dobson and Boychuk.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
And we are also forgetting Aho who was ready to play like 2 years ago. Not to mention Wotherspoon and Vande Sompel who are also ready now. Then we have Hickey who would be a fine as a bottom pair that can play top 4 minutes if needed..These are the ones that can actually play at the NHL level...not to mention the Wilde, Bolduc, Graham, Krygier etc of the world.

We are pretty deep on the backend...we should draft a goalie though..maybe 2 or 3.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
You really don't.

And what about making the wildly unpopular decision of protecting Pelech in the expansion draft? Who knows if McPhee would have taken that deal, maybe he LOVED Pelech back then

Islanders Protection List: Pelech, Pelech, Pelech, Pelech, Pelech...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad