Value of: Adam McQuaid to Toronto

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
It's a nice attempt to boost McQuaid's value, but no dice.

history has shown that at the deadline contending teams will pay a premium for a physical veteran defender. I almost never agree with Berns on principle but I don't think he is too far off suggesting McQuaid fetches a 2nd there. I could see it happening.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He got injured last night. Not sure how serious or how long. But we can probably kill this until he returns.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah right. Me might adopt him legally.

McQuaid

For

Ozhiganov
Bracco
Why would the Leafs trade two younger and at this point better defensemen, for one older less skilled blue-liner who would be on our third pair? This dosn't make any sense.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
McQuaid Skjei + Buchnevich + 2nd for Nylander

Fixed that. If the Leafs are going to trade Nylander for a blue-liner, it has to be a guy who is actually a top-4 player. A team isn't going to get him for scarp parts. If that is all the Rangers are willing to give, they an go ahead and offer-sheet Nylander the $8million contract he wants, Toronto will happily take your Hughes lottery pick (and your 2nd and 3rd) as compensation.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Clearly, yes.

IMO there were much better players available on the waiver wire a week ago. McQuaid is a 32 yo, vastly overpaid, slow, turnover machine, who usually sits out 20-50 games per season. Only GM's stuck in 1998 would trade assets for him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
IMO there were much better players available on the waiver wire a week ago. McQuaid is a 32 yo, vastly overpaid, slow, turnover machine, who usually sits out 20-50 games per season. Only GM's stuck in 1998 would trade assets for him.
Such as? Which players?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
history has shown that at the deadline contending teams will pay a premium for a physical veteran defender. I almost never agree with Berns on principle but I don't think he is too far off suggesting McQuaid fetches a 2nd there. I could see it happening.

I agree, McQuaid will fetch more than what the Rangers paid, as long as McQuaid is actually healthy. McQuaid's a warrior, but his durability shouldn't be relied upon.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Leafs would be better served pursuing Kampfer, the better of the 2 D involved in the recent trade

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
As I've seen a few times... 3rd rd pick in either 19 or 20 draft. I think NYR take that small positive move after getting him 4th and conditional 7th. I doubt TO would cringe at the price. Make it a 2nd and I'd throw Spooner or Namestnikov in there too, for some wing depth.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If I were a rival GM, I'd say "You paid a 3rd and 7th for McQuaid last summer and he looks worse and older this year. I would give you a 4th and call it a day."

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As I've seen a few times... 3rd rd pick in either 19 or 20 draft. I think NYR take that small positive move after getting him 4th and conditional 7th. I doubt TO would cringe at the price. Make it a 2nd and I'd throw Spooner or Namestnikov in there too, for some wing depth.
A third I think I'd be okay with. The Leafs dont need any wingers though, the depth is already there. Johnsson has been sitting in the press box, put it that way. He hasn't been great but it goes to show the depth the Leafs have that they can afford to do that. I realise most of my fellow leafs fans don't want Mcquaid but come playoff time, I think he'd be useful.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If I were a rival GM, I'd say "You paid a 3rd and 7th for McQuaid last summer and he looks worse and older this year. I would give you a 4th and call it a day."

No, if you were a rival GM who needed that kind of player to bolster your roster for a cup run, you pay the price or you look for a different player.........PERIOD!

I'm sure you wouldn't make many deals reminding GM's what they paid for the player during the off season during a rebuild and how that translates to your price in your time of need.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Leafs would be better served pursuing Kampfer, the better of the 2 D involved in the recent trade

I'm not saying McQuaid is a better player but he does bring things to the table Kamf's didn't.......are you sure you've seen Kampfer play? He is relatively terrible. Like Nick Holden bad.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No, if you were a rival GM who needed that kind of player to bolster your roster for a cup run, you pay the price or you look for a different player.........PERIOD!

I'm sure you wouldn't make many deals reminding GM's what they paid for the player during the off season during a rebuild and how that translates to your price in your time of need.

Adam McQuaid isn't exactly like a rare commodity and there's plenty of bad teams that sell every year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
nope.
your statement would apply, I agree, if all things were =.
That is a false assumption in this case.

Bruins made him available b'c they had a surplus and needed the cap space, that's the bottom line.
They sent him to NY, not to punish him, but b'c they didn't want to send him to a contender, esp in conference, but he may not have wanted to go west, so they compromised with NY.

The above means it was not an open market, which again, has real fact that there is league wide shortage of quality RDs, and esp more so as to availability.
Plus, yeah, this is a rental this year only, but that also means no long term commitments. Sometimes you prefer term, sometimes not, depending on the player and circumstances.

2nd is doable and somebody will pay
ESPECIALLY if there is injury, and there usually is
further exacerbating supply and demand

You might believe this (but then again, you might just want it to be true). But you are right about supply and demand. Back when the Bs traded him there was less of a supply of available RD. Free agency was over and teams were trying to have the best roster they could. Nobody was "out of it" yet and nobody was selling. Like you said, BOS had a surplus, but nobody else did.

Thus, the supply was really low.

But now teams are falling out of it and there are more sellers. As we move on, that will only be more true. Yes, contenders may want to improve, but improving their 7th D really isn't going to drive up the price on McQuaid when there will also be other D available.

Finally, McQuaid will get hurt. He will. Count on it. What's his value going to be when he misses 20 games because of his annual injury?

I've seen your trade posts before and your value of what you think is coming back to NYR is just about always inflated. I suggest that you are doing it again.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You might believe this (but then again, you might just want it to be true). But you are right about supply and demand. Back when the Bs traded him there was less of a supply of available RD. Free agency was over and teams were trying to have the best roster they could. Nobody was "out of it" yet and nobody was selling. Like you said, BOS had a surplus, but nobody else did.

Thus, the supply was really low.

But now teams are falling out of it and there are more sellers. As we move on, that will only be more true. Yes, contenders may want to improve, but improving their 7th D really isn't going to drive up the price on McQuaid when there will also be other D available.

Finally, McQuaid will get hurt. He will. Count on it. What's his value going to be when he misses 20 games because of his annual injury?

I've seen your trade posts before and your value of what you think is coming back to NYR is just about always inflated. I suggest that you are doing it again.

Funny thing, he is already hurt.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Adam McQuaid isn't exactly like a rare commodity and there's plenty of bad teams that sell every year.

Agreed but that is not what we are debating here and what I said holds true about how you said you as a GM would dictate the cost based on what Gorts paid for him......that was pure nonsense.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Funny thing, he is already hurt.

He misses 20-50 games per season consistently.

Such a scrub, I can't believe people see value here. He'd be like 10-11th defender on a decent team like the Jets. At $2.7M ... what a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad