Value of: Adam Lowry's next contract - who would be interested?

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
And then the Jackets would get outbid by the Canucks...

Wait a minute... you don't have that much spare cap.

Oh we can get Cap..........we will have it, if we need it

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jets fans need to remember that even if Seattle doesn't pick Lowry, they still have exclusive negotiation rights with him. So even if the Jets and Lowry verbally agree to a 3.5 x 4 mil contract (for example) - if Seattle offers him a 4.5 x 5 mil contract, that may be enough to persuade Lowry to sign with Seattle or explore free agency. On one hand the Jets get another expansion spot, but it all depends on whether that's worth potentially losing Lowry over.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Jets fans need to remember that even if Seattle doesn't pick Lowry, they still have exclusive negotiation rights with him. So even if the Jets and Lowry verbally agree to a 3.5 x 4 mil contract (for example) - if Seattle offers him a 4.5 x 5 mil contract, that may be enough to persuade Lowry to sign with Seattle or explore free agency. On one hand the Jets get another expansion spot, but it all depends on whether that's worth potentially losing Lowry over.
I think the jets are fine with paying him 4.5 mil. So in order to outbid us a team has to go crazy and offer 5.5-6 so sure if a team wants to go nuts.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think the jets are fine with paying him 4.5 mil. So in order to outbid us a team has to go crazy and offer 5.5-6 so sure if a team wants to go nuts.

I agree. Was thinking the Jets would offer 4 by $4 (maybe $4.5 if he has another great playoff) and he would come back.

Much like Tanev I wouldn't blame him for taking the extra $1-$2M per year and extra term if it's offered though.

I'm sure the Jets will have made their offer and let him know it will still be there come the first day of free agency because they can't protect him in the expansion draft. He can poke around the market quickly and then decide if he wants to come back. Someone throws crazy money at him and he's got to take it.

Based on my calculations we'll have $25M in capspace with 17 players on the roster and Copp and Pionk as the only big ticket RFAs to sign. Assume they take $10Mish to sign and we still have $15M to fill 3 roster spots, with one of those spots being Lowry's new deal.

Whatever number he gets, we can afford to match or beat, it's just a question of if we should.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I could see contenders offering him 5 years/4mill. I think this guy will only get better and see Dave Bolland type potential in him.

I would be shocked if anyone but Buffalo offered him that term. His shoulders are a mess and have been a significant part of his offense/physicality drying up almost every season as he ends up playing dinged up but still able to control play positionally. I don't see him playing into his mid-30's.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary might have a chance to get him, but hard to see him leaving with his dad as assistant coach.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Calgary might have a chance to get him, but hard to see him leaving with his dad as assistant coach.
Yep Calgary is where he’s from but I imagine with his dad working for jets it’s like having his immediate family move to where he is.

Reactions: Deen

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets see Lowry and Copp as second tier "core" players, especially since Copp's offensive game has picked up. My guess is that they'll offer both of them something in the $4M range for 5-6 years. As a floor, they are big and effective defensive forwards that can match up against top lines and excel in the PK, and they have shown signs that they can add some offense with skilled linemates.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, the Flames look like a muddled franchise right now that might need an overhaul. The Jets have the foundation to be a contender for a few more seasons.

Reactions: Deen

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
But why? Blue jackets were just saying Savard would try to come back to Columbus right away if traded because he has roots there. While Lowry has roots in wpg and an added bonus his dad works for organization so if the money is similar even if a little less in wpg he has every reason to resign here.
That's your opinion. We'll find out this summer if Adam agrees.
Among all the NHL cities, Winnipeg is quantifiably the least desirable home for players. Some players wouldn't sign a UFA contract with Winnipeg even if the Jets were the highest bidder.
Disclaimer - I live in Winnipeg because I like it.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And if the Jets get busted, expect a penalty similar to what Arizona got for trying to cheat on the draft process. It cost them a 2nd last year and possibly a top 10 pick this year.
Busted for what? What exactly is wrong with a team saying here is your contract if you wait until after the expansion?

Is there also something wrong with a player telling a team he won't sign until July 1?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's your opinion. We'll find out this summer if Adam agrees.
Among all the NHL cities, Winnipeg is quantifiably the least desirable home for players. Some players wouldn't sign a UFA contract with Winnipeg even if the Jets were the highest bidder.
Disclaimer - I live in Winnipeg because I like it.
And that’s your opinion. Most organizations don’t have someone’s dad working for them. So Lowry is not most ufa. IMO

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well, I am a Canuck fan, and we want him...............6 years @ 4.5

We will structure it as ..........

1st year 6 Million
2nd year 6 million
3rd year 6 million
4th year 4 million
5th year 3 million
6th year 2 million

We think Adam Lowry is a fantastic 3rd line center, and will add exactly what we need for years to come.
I think he would like the 4.5m but would say no because escrow will eat so much of his front end. If you back end load it that would be hard for him to say no.

Reactions: zcaptain

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
"Exclusive negotiation rights"? In a league where you're not allowed to negotiate with UFAs until free agency opens on July 1 but UFA contracts magically get negotiated and signed 30 seconds after free agency starts. It's not worth a whole lot especially when the Jets legally are allowed to negotiate for a year before.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In the old days (not SO old) of UFAdom, a guy like Lowry would land some kind of Martin Hanzal-esque massive overpayment, because he's such a unique style of asset. Probably NHL GMs have learned their lesson on that front now... probably... ??? :dunno:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
"Exclusive negotiation rights"? In a league where you're not allowed to negotiate with UFAs until free agency opens on July 1 but UFA contracts magically get negotiated and signed 30 seconds after free agency starts. It's not worth a whole lot especially when the Jets legally are allowed to negotiate for a year before.

Teams can talk to agents, and those agents are able to talk to their clients. So in that sense, yes they can negotiate to an extent.

But that is still a lot different than talking to the player directly, selling them on the team, vision, and asking what needs to happen to get that player to sign with them.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ummm, the Jets have had exclusive negotiation rights with him all along, and continue to do so. Im guessing that the only reason he hasn't signed an extension yet it to allow the Jets to protect another player. If he's planning on being here long term, it would be in his interest to do so. Chances are that guy is either copp or Appleton, his current linemates.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ummm, the Jets have had exclusive negotiation rights with him all along, and continue to do so. Im guessing that the only reason he hasn't signed an extension yet it to allow the Jets to protect another player. If he's planning on being here long term, it would be in his interest to do so. Chances are that guy is either copp or Appleton, his current linemates.

Seattle has a 2 week period where they can negotiate with pending UFAs before the rest of the teams (outside of their current team). If Lowry is offered an extra $10 mil guaranteed over a 5 year period, that may make him reconsider how much he wants to stay in Winnipeg.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Seattle has a 2 week period where they can negotiate with pending UFAs before the rest of the teams (outside of their current team). If Lowry is offered an extra $10 mil guaranteed over a 5 year period, that may make him reconsider how much he wants to stay in Winnipeg.

Who is going to pay a 3rd liner an extra 2 million per year for 5 years over market value? That would be a huge negative deal for any team.

PS: I’m not saying he’s a lock to resign in Winnipeg, just saying no one is going pay any 3rd liner 2 million per year over market value for 5 years.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Ehlers / Lowry for Marner/ Engvall or Kerfoot. Just spit ballin. Balances the Leaf lineup a bit. Quality 3 slot center and a first line LW.
I will get lynched here but what the hell.

Reactions: jetsforever

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure, but he can also wait until after July 1 and go back to the Jets and see if they can give him a contract he likes well enough to stay.

I really don't know why there's so much discussion about what the Jets can and can't do. There is nothing wrong with them negotiating with Lowry over the past several months and agreeing in principle to a long-term deal, which they would sign when he's eligible to be signed after the expansion draft. Sure, Seattle could try to sweeten their offer sufficiently to try to persuade him not to re-sign with Winnipeg, but there's not even any obligation for Lowry to negotiate with Seattle at all if he's already determined to re-sign with Winnipeg.

Reactions: JetsJets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure, if the Kraken want to overpay massively, they can probably sign a bunch of UFAs. But I doubt that the Jets are going to alter their approach with the expectation that the Kraken will be unwise in terms of their cap decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad