Value of: Adam Lowry's next contract - who would be interested?

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
IF he goes to FA I think the Rangers might be interested. They will have cap space this offseason too, unless he asks for crazy money (not gonna be available in this capstrapped multi year cap ceiling freeeze environment anyways?). 4 x 4 - or a little more maybe?
NYR are severely lacking this kind of "veteran", hard-nosed presence in their top 9. Fits the timeline for a first run well too. Replacement for Strome that is dealt for pick(s) at TDL?

I agree, especially if Strome finds himself elsewhere this TDL/offseason. Rangers need a good veteran bottom 6 C that can play good shutdown/PK minutes.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
don't need to protect him, Seattle won't take someone that will go to free agency. we can make a deal with him and sign him after the expansion draft
And if the Jets get busted, expect a penalty similar to what Arizona got for trying to cheat on the draft process. It cost them a 2nd last year and possibly a top 10 pick this year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I reckon if he stays with the Jets he will take a bit less...but if he's determined to hit the marketplace, he's going to be a hot commodity. Lord knows he'd be a great third line center for the Avs. He's only 27 and the kind of players GM's go crazy for. He's going to get paid...it's going to be a much bigger and longer number than simply isolating his point totals would suggest he get.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
And if the Jets get busted, expect a penalty similar to what Arizona got for trying to cheat on the draft process. It cost them a 2nd last year and possibly a top 10 pick this year.

The odds of this happening are pretty much nil. The expansion draft is July 21st, Free Agency starts July 28th. Even if Lowry has no intention of leaving, going into July 28th as a UFA is totally logical. Chevy & Co. are very sharp and would never let it slip that they had any intention to tamper - all they have to do is say "we wanted to explore all options before re-signing Lowry" on UFA day and it's case closed.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There's nothing to get busted over. No rule says when you have to extend an UFA

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016

Arizona was illegally tampering, the Jets and Lowry wouldn't be breaking any rules or tampering. I can't remember the players involved, but I sort of remember multiple teams and players taking this approach in the Vegas draft.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
A fair deal is likely 4 years and $14 million. If he hits the open market, I see someone offering him 4 million a year. He's a very good 3C.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Arizona was illegally tampering, the Jets and Lowry wouldn't be breaking any rules or tampering. I can't remember the players involved, but I sort of remember multiple teams and players taking this approach in the Vegas draft.
What? If the Jets and Lowry agree to terms to on a contract before the draft and then sign it after the expansion draft to avoid having to protect Lowry, that is absolutely breaking the rules.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
What? If the Jets and Lowry agree to terms to on a contract before the draft and then sign it after the expansion draft to avoid having to protect Lowry, that is absolutely breaking the rules.

What rule? You'd have to have a citation to quantify that.
Contracts are verbally agreed upon in every facet of life, sometimes weeks before being officially signed. I do that on multiple occasions every year. It's good business.
Besides that, why would Lowry want to sign before his UFA status comes about? How many UFAs have signed before their respective UFA periods begin? It's just bad business for the player to sign early.

:Edit: I did a little digging. By being a pending UFA, Lowry is not exempt from the expansion draft. The rules are the same as they were for Vegas and I have this quote:
"They can select a player left unprotected by his current team, including a player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. If they pick a pending UFA, they could sign him before July 1 or let him become a free agent." The wording of that indicates that picking a pending UFA is just not a good idea for the expansion team.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think he might test the market and leaves the Jets if overpaid, which I can see a team doing.
But why? Blue jackets were just saying Savard would try to come back to Columbus right away if traded because he has roots there. While Lowry has roots in wpg and an added bonus his dad works for organization so if the money is similar even if a little less in wpg he has every reason to resign here.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They don’t need to have an agreement in place. Just let him know if he doesn’t want to sign in Seattle they are amiable to having him come back. Then let him decide where he wants to play. Where he’s comfortable has a life gets to work with his dad or another city where he has to start over.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Well, I am a Canuck fan, and we want him...............6 years @ 4.5

We will structure it as ..........

1st year 6 Million
2nd year 6 million
3rd year 6 million
4th year 4 million
5th year 3 million
6th year 2 million

We think Adam Lowry is a fantastic 3rd line center, and will add exactly what we need for years to come.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Lowry is so valuable because of his intangibles and what he brings to the ice. You win with guys like him. I could see him as a 2nd line C if he leaves and gets put on a weaker team that wants to give him more offensive minutes. If Craig Conroy can make it as a #1 center, I don't see why Lowry can't be a decent #2 if he has very strong wingers. He's not your ideal #2 but on some clubs he would be right now.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

1st year 6 Million
2nd year 6 million
3rd year 6 million
4th year 4 million
5th year 3 million
6th year 2 million

We think Adam Lowry is a fantastic 3rd line center, and will add exactly what we need for years to come.
That’s a very reasonable deal and jets can offer him that and a chance to stay in the same city, same organization and work with his father everyday why would he want to uproot for similar money?
You’d have to offer 5.5 or 6 mil to make it financially worthwhile that jets are like ya we can’t match.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He absolutely stays this summer, re-signing after expansion so that he doesn't get picked or take up a protection slot. Chevy has been making bigbrain moves to keep valuable young centers by hiring their dads (Lowry and PLD). Lowry retires a Jet I think and we can't afford to lose what he brings, he will definitely get a raise. Probably 4x3.25 or so, which is just fine for a big, physical shutdown 3C that can PK.

I think if he wants to stay that is one thing, but if he does hit the market, I'm assuming some teams will offer ~a million more per season, maybe even more in that $4.5+ range, as he is a rare type of player in today's game, not to mention that some desperate GM will offer him 5 or 6 years potentially.

I have a hard time seeing his cap hit stay that low.

Reactions: pictman

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A fair deal is likely 4 years and $14 million. If he hits the open market, I see someone offering him 4 million a year. He's a very good 3C.

Pretty much, I think the Jackets would throw $4m x 5 at him. They need to get that size and strength back up the middle.

1st year 6 Million
2nd year 6 million
3rd year 6 million
4th year 4 million
5th year 3 million
6th year 2 million

And then the Jackets would get outbit by the Canucks...

Wait a minute... you don't have that much spare cap.

But why? Blue jackets were just saying Savard would try to come back to Columbus right away if traded because he has roots there. While Lowry has roots in wpg and an added bonus his dad works for organization so if the money is similar even if a little less in wpg he has every reason to resign here.

A little less, sure. $3.75m might not be a little less.

Savard by the way is likely moving on long term from the Jackets, it is more likely they find a way to bring Foligno back.

They don’t need to have an agreement in place. Just let him know if he doesn’t want to sign in Seattle they are amiable to having him come back. Then let him decide where he wants to play. Where he’s comfortable has a life gets to work with his dad or another city where he has to start over.

Right, this is very different from "an agreement" on a contract. It is UFA where the Jets hope that some other amenities make up for the fact that they will likely get outbid. In other words, UFA.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I love Adam Lowry and his game, but he goes through stretches where his offense completely dries up.

I could see the Jets moving on.

Don't need offence when you're the best defensive (and physical) forward on the team
I'm pretty sure the Jets like him (especially one of their assistant coaches)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad