Player Discussion Adam Larsson Part II - The Right Hand (Mod Warning Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hemsky had elite acceleration, average to slightly above average top speed. Average might be the poor word for it, he was faster top end than the average NHL player, but compared to his top 6 peers, I would certainly call average an apt word.

If he had a strong top speed he would have had more break-aways in his prime, and he wouldn't have lost fasted skater competitions to guys like Horcoff or Stoll who were in no means speedsters. He never really blew by kids with shear speed, more of a come in slow and change gears faster than they can. Thats not really speed, it is more is acceleration. Hemsky got from A to B faster than most players, but if you gave most players enough time they'd overtake him.

But, we are talking about a guy I havn't really watched play in years, so i could be mis-remembering.

And agreed, Larsson's lateral movement is beautiful.
Horcoff won the fastest skater at the all star game hahaha. I don't remember the last skills comp hemsky even went to he always missed them. Hemsky could fly tho

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Exactly. Nikita Fayne was wishful thinking they could handle regular top four duties with their history but it was "possible" so we hoped.

Realistically these guys shouldn't disappoint in roles they have already shown success.

nikita fayne is miles away from klefbom larsson. you guys have learned your lesson, and (at least comparing the two ex devils), the comparison isn't even close between fayne and lars. it'll be nice to see your team be a lot more balanced/stable w the back end - i expect good work out of your team this season

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
nikita fayne is miles away from klefbom larsson. you guys have learned your lesson, and (at least comparing the two ex devils), the comparison isn't even close between fayne and lars. it'll be nice to see your team be a lot more balanced/stable w the back end - i expect good work out of your team this season

The Fayne issue is so largely overblown by EDM fans too. He has played some really tough minutes in Edmonton with a lack of team structure and preety poor D partners. By eye hes been ok and good against secondary comp. By analytics hes been ok against top comp. He shouldnt be in same breathe as Nikitin

Larsson is a solid player, and still has big potential. The biggest plus from getting him is the culture change. Dealing your 2nd best player for a huge position of needs screams to the rest of team its time to get serious. No excuses now

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
The Fayne issue is so largely overblown by EDM fans too. He has played some really tough minutes in Edmonton with a lack of team structure and preety poor D partners. By eye hes been ok and good against secondary comp. By analytics hes been ok against top comp. He shouldnt be in same breathe as Nikitin

Larsson is a solid player, and still has big potential. The biggest plus from getting him is the culture change. Dealing your 2nd best player for a huge position of needs screams to the rest of team its time to get serious. No excuses now

Fayne is actually a very good #5.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fayne is actually a very good #5.

Thatd be a perfect spot for him. Hes calm and collected. Hed be a perfect partner for Nurse next year actually to help show him the ropes

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse-Fayne

Is how I see D pairings next year.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Thatd be a perfect spot for him. Hes calm and collected. Hed be a perfect partner for Nurse next year actually to help show him the ropes

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse-Fayne

I like the idea of

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Davidson-Fayne

Assuming Nurse learns how to rush the puck and generate a cycle out of it...or at least a shot.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse-Fayne

I'd still like for Nurse to have this year in the AHL as "the guy". Put a letter on his chest and ask him to step up and be a leader. Play him 26-30 mins/game in all situations.

Alas, what's ideal isn't always what's practical. I wouldn't mind giving Oesterle a look at the #5/6 and 2nd unit PP Dman. He's a good puck mover and confident with the puck on his stick. Biggest knock is he's undersized.

Really pumped to see what Larsson can bring, I think he could be key to allowing Klefbom to develop into a true #1.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
I'd still like for Nurse to have this year in the AHL as "the guy". Put a letter on his chest and ask him to step up and be a leader. Play him 26-30 mins/game in all situations.

Alas, what's ideal isn't always what's practical. I wouldn't mind giving Oesterle a look at the #5/6 and 2nd unit PP Dman. He's a good puck mover and confident with the puck on his stick. Biggest knock is he's undersized.

Really pumped to see what Larsson can bring, I think he could be key to allowing Klefbom to develop into a true #1.

Overplaying that much is not always the best, and don't just hand him those minutes if he's in the AHL, make him outplay the others already down there.

Everyone always says just play him 25-30 minutes a game, where that can also have negative effects such as fatigue, which causes errors, which can ruin confidence.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Overplaying that much is not always the best, and don't just hand him those minutes if he's in the AHL, make him outplay the others already down there.

Everyone always says just play him 25-30 minutes a game, where that can also have negative effects such as fatigue, which causes errors, which can ruin confidence.

Fair enough, but Nurse has beastly conditioning. He thrived playing regularly over 30 mins or close to a game for Sault St. Marie all over the ice. He seemed to play well getting heavy minutes, he's got very good conditioning. In the playoffs his final season it seemed like he never left the ice!

But, of course, that's junior and not professional hockey.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Fair enough, but Nurse has beastly conditioning. He thrived playing regularly over 30 mins or close to a game for Sault St. Marie all over the ice. He seemed to play well getting heavy minutes, he's got very good conditioning. In the playoffs his final season it seemed like he never left the ice!

But, of course, that's junior and not professional hockey.

I agree he does have really good conditioning but it's a whole difference beast playing professionally, and I just don't want to see him handed it all, I'd like to see him earn it, which I know he has the work ethic to do so.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree he does have really good conditioning but it's a whole difference beast playing professionally, and I just don't want to see him handed it all, I'd like to see him earn it, which I know he has the work ethic to do so.

Yeah for sure. I agree with you there, professional hockey also carries with it far more system play and controlled positioning. Darnell can't get by purely on his athleticism and speed anymore.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

With Nurse I want to see what he can do at camp. The NHL is just such a new beast for rookies, especially D. So hopefully this offseason he has time to digest what he saw in NHL and hes able to train to improve accorindgly. I think well see a noticeable improvement. If that happens, then there is no better place to learn then in NHL. The game is just different from AHL. But if he comes to camp with only a so-so improvement and still unable to keep head above water in NHL then 100% put in AHL.

Hard to make a call on him. For instance a guy like Davidson struggled a bit in NHL 2 years ago, has a great offseason digesting the NHL game, then comes to camp and explodes this year. Offseason is like the summer of Grade 10. Sometimes the so-so girl comes to school in September after summer and blows everyone away

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse-Fayne

I could definitely get behind that idea. Davidson looks comfortable on either side, as does Sekera. If McDavidson can continue where he left off last year, I could see that being a real solid 2nd pair.

I also think Fayne is an ideal partner for Nurse.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
With Nurse I want to see what he can do at camp. The NHL is just such a new beast for rookies, especially D. So hopefully this offseason he has time to digest what he saw in NHL and hes able to train to improve accorindgly. I think well see a noticeable improvement. If that happens, then there is no better place to learn then in NHL. The game is just different from AHL. But if he comes to camp with only a so-so improvement and still unable to keep head above water in NHL then 100% put in AHL.

Hard to make a call on him. For instance a guy like Davidson struggled a bit in NHL 2 years ago, has a great offseason digesting the NHL game, then comes to camp and explodes this year. Offseason is like the summer of Grade 10. Sometimes the so-so girl comes to school in September after summer and blows everyone away

:laugh:

Good analogy. I mean if Darnell shows up with added muscle, confidence and clearly shows he belongs, then keep him up.

It would just be nice to go into the season knowing we don't have to force Darnell onto the 3rd pairing out of necessity. He's got a long term future with us and will be a very important part of this team for many years. Can you imagine when he's 25? Look out NHL :yo:.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
With Fayne you have to look at what was around him in NJ:

Salvador - Volchenkov = Shutdown Defensive pair and main PKers
Zidlicky - Tallinder = Main offensive d-men and PPQBs
Greene = All around defensman at the time.
Larsson = 18 year old Rookie

If I remember right, we ran with this in 2011/2012:

Salvador - Zidlicky
Greene - Fayne
Volchenkov - Tallinder
Larsson

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I like the idea of

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Davidson-Fayne

Assuming Nurse learns how to rush the puck and generate a cycle out of it...or at least a shot.

Maybe some day. But I can see Larsson playing 25-28 minutes a game...Nurse isn't ready for that yet let alone playing against top comp.

Klef - Lars is the ideal top pairing IMO.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Maybe some day. But I can see Larsson playing 25-28 minutes a game...Nurse isn't ready for that yet let alone playing against top comp.

All depends on if Klefbom is looking good in camp. Keep in mind he has missed a lot of time. If Davidson comes into camp playing how he did to end the season, then he will be looking better than Klefbom ever has.

The potential is definitely there from Klefbom, but I have never seen him play the way Davidson did in his last 20 games here last season.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Well ya. But if I can just pretend nurse takes the same jump he did in junior it sounds cooler.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All depends on if Klefbom is looking good in camp. Keep in mind he has missed a lot of time. If Davidson comes into camp playing how he did to end the season, then he will be looking better than Klefbom ever has.

The potential is definitely there from Klefbom, but I have never seen him play the way Davidson did in his last 20 games here last season.

Not even close. Klefbom at the top of his game is the best that we've seen in Oilers blue since Whitney first came over from Anaheim. Davidson looked good prior to his injury but let's tone down the expectations for him a bit. IMO he'll be our 4th best D this season unless Reinhart or Nurse take a big step forward. I have all of Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera ahead of Davidson.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
With Fayne you have to look at what was around him in NJ:

Salvador - Volchenkov = Shutdown Defensive pair and main PKers
Zidlicky - Tallinder = Main offensive d-men and PPQBs
Greene = All around defensman at the time.
Larsson = 18 year old Rookie

If I remember right, we ran with this in 2011/2012:

Salvador - Zidlicky
Greene - Fayne
Volchenkov - Tallinder
Larsson

Not just who was around him, but Greene wasn't tethered to Fayne all game. He played over 2 minutes a night ES without Fayne. Plus he averaged more PP and SH time. So having those other defenders allowed Greene to step into other pairings when needed (or take Fayne off the Greene pair, however you want to look at it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad