Player Discussion Adam Larsson Part II - The Right Hand (Mod Warning Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think the only thing Klefa has on Larsson right now is his shot. Larsson's passing is miles better from everything I've seen, his play in the offensive zone is more dynamic, his skating is just as good, and overall he's better offensively. Defensively, it's not close. And I love Klefbom.

Klef is a much better skater. Larsson is kinda sloppy. Hopefully an off season with Peltier will help

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Davidson-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera

I have this strange feeling that Klefbom and Sekera will be a pairing. Better to spread our two good defencemen out in my opinion.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Code:
Davidson-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera

I have this strange feeling that Klefbom and Sekera will be a pairing. Better to spread our two good defencemen out in my opinion.

Davidson is not a top pairing player. He wasn't last year yet you really seem to think he was. He played extremely well no doubt, but he had sheltered minutes.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Code:

Davidson is not a top pairing player. He wasn't last year yet you really seem to think he was. He played extremely well no doubt, but he had sheltered minutes.

Here is a picture of his ice time in his last 20 games of the year. He played top pairing minutes most nights. The games in which he played the most minutes (Anaheim, NYI, Philly) were all away games where you can't really shelter your guy.

He played 27 minutes against the Anaheim Ducks on the road in an OT loss. I remember the game perfectly and he was exceptional. If he plays how he was to end his season next year, he is definitely capable of playing hardest QoC for the Oilers with Larsson to do the heavy lifting.

Davidson showed through every metric that he is capable defensively of handling the opponents best while playing big minutes.

6564ad.png

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Klefbom and Larsson are both fantastic technical skaters.

Larsson, unfortunately, likely doesn't have the genetics to be as explosive as Klefbom. It's like someone being as good a swimmer technically as Michael Phelps...but if you don't have the Phelps body, you just won't be as fast.

As for Davidson, we need to see what he looks like after the scouting report is out on him. I think he has the tools to adjust and the mentality to succeed under pressure, but we need to see him reach those heights again before we proclaim him a bonafide top four player.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Klef is a much better skater. Larsson is kinda sloppy. Hopefully an off season with Peltier will help

That goes against everything I've ever seen. Both from my first hand experience watching him skate and what I've heard others say about his skating.

He's a phenomenal skater. Great edge work, great along the blueline, pivots well, fantastic positioning, doesn't get beat wide in the d-zone, can keep up with the fastest oppositions, terrific back skating. He's just not overly explosive like, say, Nurse.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Larsson can get beat in races. The reason why it's rare for him to get beat out wide by someone like Kessel is because he has excellent positioning, not because he's as fast.

Larsson's speed is average. His technical skating is superb.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Larsson can get beat in races. The reason why it's rare for him to get beat out wide by someone like Kessel is because he has excellent positioning, not because he's as fast.

Larsson's speed is average. His technical skating is superb.

I am a "scout" right now for a team in the OJHL and I talked to quite a few people about Adam Larsson as a player. One guy mentioned he might have the best gap control in the NHL.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Any news on Larsson-Klefbom connection? Has either been asked about communcation with the other?
Klefbom was reportedly hoping the Oilers landed Brodin. Not sure about his relationship with Larsson..

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Any news on Larsson-Klefbom connection? Has either been asked about communcation with the other?
Klefbom was reportedly hoping the Oilers landed Brodin. Not sure about his relationship with Larsson..

Both have been asked about it, both have expressed interest and excitement in the other guy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Apparently we were looking at Brodin but the ask was too high. Quite frankly Larsson is better for us in every way so I am glad we overpaid to get him. Klefbom seems happy to have Larsson on the team. We cant bend over backwards for anyone except McDavid anyway. Its good to bring friends with established chemistry together but there's a limit to it.

Although to this day I think we should have paid the price to getGardiner for Schultz's sake. Thats over now though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Agreed. Klefbom is a far better, smoother skater than Larsson right now although Larsson improved his skating from 2 seasons ago. Klef has better offensive zone instincts as well while Larsson has a better outlet pass.
Larsson is a far more polished defensive player. In fact, I'd rate him as a top 10 defensive player right now. His shutdown ability is top notch. Fantastic positioning and stickwork, he added a physical dimension last season as his confidence grew.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Agreed. Klefbom is a far better, smoother skater than Larsson right now although Larsson improved his skating from 2 seasons ago. Klef has better offensive zone instincts as well while Larsson has a better outlet pass.
Larsson is a far more polished defensive player. In fact, I'd rate him as a top 10 defensive player right now. His shutdown ability is top notch. Fantastic positioning and stickwork, he added a physical dimension last season as his confidence grew.

I don't think so, the only thing Klefbom will be better at in the offensive zone, is he has a better shot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That goes against everything I've ever seen. Both from my first hand experience watching him skate and what I've heard others say about his skating.

He's a phenomenal skater. Great edge work, great along the blueline, pivots well, fantastic positioning, doesn't get beat wide in the d-zone, can keep up with the fastest oppositions, terrific back skating. He's just not overly explosive like, say, Nurse.

Ya, I definitely wouldn't call him a bad skater. He's our 3rd or 4th best skating dman, but that really isn't an insult when you consider how good of skaters Nurse and Klefa are.

Klefa is definitely better offensively. He reads the game better offensively, rushes the puck better, has a better shot, etc. Larsson is the better dman overall. He won't put up huge points (I'm hoping 25-30), but he's efficient with the puck, and a rock defensively

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ya, I definitely wouldn't call him a bad skater. He's our 3rd or 4th best skating dman, but that really isn't an insult when you consider how good of skaters Nurse is and Klefa was

lets see how klefbom looks after his injury, new restrictive skates, and damage done to his foot.... feet (unsurprisingly) are important for skating, and klefbom has one bad foot, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see his skating severely regress this year

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think so, the only thing Klefbom will be better at in the offensive zone, is he has a better shot.

I disagree. Klefbom has a knack for knowing when to jump up in the play and he has vastly improved his ability to move the puck side to side. Larsson simply hasn't had the opportunity to show off his offensive instincts with the heavy defensive push. I do think that Larsson is better at hitting the forwards in stride transitioning from defense to offense.

We'll see more of an offensive push from him this season as Mclellan loves to deploy his D in an aggressive offensive manner. It's partly why I expect from growing pains from him due to being placed in a more offensive role. It's one of the big reasons why Fayne struggled so much in the first half.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
lets see how klefbom looks after his injury, new restrictive skates, and damage done to his foot.... feet (unsurprisingly) are important for skating, and klefbom has one bad foot, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see his skating severely regress this year

I really hope you're wrong. If his skating regresses severely, the Oilers are ****ed. Skating was one of Klefbom's greatest assets.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Is he going to be wearing restrictive skates going forward? Does he have permanent damage on his foot? I haven't heard anything to suggest that.

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton

There's been no mention of a "restrictive skate" - just a skate that won't rub the certain affected area or any structural damage to his foot - it was tissue (skin) that was affected. This isn't a Whitney or Forsberg situation who had structural issues with their feet.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is he going to be wearing restrictive skates going forward? Does he have permanent damage on his foot? I haven't heard anything to suggest that.

From the sound of it, he's going to be wearing his new skate forever. But McKidAnger is right that it's not restrictive. For Klefbom, it's actually the opposite of restrictive since it will fit his foot better and won't cause unnecessary rubbing. I don't know about his condition specifically but it sounds to me like he's got a weird shaped foot or something. Or maybe he does a weird thing with that one foot during his skating stride. Either way, the new skate is only a good thing and we should expect even more from him if anything, since his skate won't rub his skin all the time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
what kind of player is #77? what can you tell me about him. I'm trying to get an idea on who Larsson will be playing with.

Excellent skater, good puck mover in all 3 zones. Solid hockey sense but prone to gaffes in D zone at times (being a young D). More of a two way D as he doesnt have killer offensive instincts in offensive zone but will still jump in on the rush and can handle the puck. Also not a rock defensively, but can more than handle himself defensively

For notable comparables- Id used Ryan McDonaugh for play style

I think theyll be a great fit because they are both smart, mobile D. Larsson will be able to jump in offensively as Klefbom has played the defensive role when paired with Schultz. Klefbom will be also be more engaged as Larsson is a rock defensively and cover him there. I actually think they are pretty similar D (Larsson has had leash on offensively so tough to compare there)

The pair might have some shy offensive numbers tho. Cant see either posting over 30-35. But theyll be more than good in transitioning puck and from D side of things.

I am giddy thinking about this pairing tho

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Here is a picture of his ice time in his last 20 games of the year. He played top pairing minutes most nights. The games in which he played the most minutes (Anaheim, NYI, Philly) were all away games where you can't really shelter your guy.

He played 27 minutes against the Anaheim Ducks on the road in an OT loss. I remember the game perfectly and he was exceptional. If he plays how he was to end his season next year, he is definitely capable of playing hardest QoC for the Oilers with Larsson to do the heavy lifting.

Davidson showed through every metric that he is capable defensively of handling the opponents best while playing big minutes.

6564ad.png

And there's why you shouldn't be penciling Davidson into the top pairing.

Marincin did the exact same thing for 1/2 a season rememer.

And to be clear, I love me some Davidson, but to expect anything more than 3rd pairing minutes from him would be a mistake. If he shows well, than fantastic, move him up; but before that no.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If your take is true then he'll be a 35-40 point guy for us next season if he stays healthy. Personally I think that Klefbom is faster and better on offense while Larsson is better positionally and defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad