Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting take on Larsson by his coach: Edmonton Oilers defenceman Adam Larsson back to rugged self

“I have a great appreciation for defencemen like that because I played with Ulf Samuelsson in my Hartford days before he went to Pittsburgh,” said Oilers coach Dave Tippett. “Those guys are so valuable to a team, so hard to play against and they have some puck-skills. They compete in the trenches and lots of times that’s where hockey games are won and lost.”
He is definitely rugged, and can be hard to play against. The puck skills part? I heavily disagree with him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
And it wasn't close. Really great to see. Hopefully he's past his physical and mental issues and can now continue on this path. Would be great, since Bear is now sinking like a rock.

Saving money on those Nurse/Bear contracts!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Great to see him getting better and better. If he can get back to 2016-2017 levels we will have a much better chance of making the playoffs.

The Turtle

Feb 6, 2021
Larsson was been a historically slow starter. Anyone claiming he's trash or has been for a solid X amount of years hasn't been watching. You'll also never win anything with 6x Tyson Barries so hating on the guy because he's not a puck mover is ridiculous. D-men play in pairs for a reason.

Reactions: barry halls

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Re-sign him after the expansion draft if the price is right, depending on what happens in the expansion draft and with Barrie.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
3yr 10M (3.33 per) deal would be the highest I would go unless he returns to his top pairing Dman form.
He would easily get 2x2 as UFA so somewhere between 2.5x2 to 3.3x3 depending on Bouchard, Bear and Barrie.

Reactions: Smartguy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bumping this - Larsson's looked very good the past few games. Brings an element on the back-end that we sorely need.

I chuckled a little at the thread title. which kind of evokes how little this thread has come up. I've liked the re-vigor in Larssons game. I think its helped that Nurse moved into stud territory, and that we now have Barrie, and Bouchard coming into prominence.

My take on Larsson was that it was always going to be hard for him to be the guy, longterm, on D. I think he's better as a 2-3 D, or 3-4, can excel in that kind of assignment but overmatched QOC and workload can get to him at times as it can for most non elite D.

I think he's playing within his role more now, the team is using him within his capability now, and that this is do to Barrie, and our D development and riches at that spot now.

I always thought that the guy, the model, in NJ was Andy Greene, a solid veteran that offered so much to younger D like Larsson. It was always going to hurt that we didn't have that guy here, and I think it impacted Larssons development. It will be interesting now to see how much Adam can lay track in resurrecting components of his game. As I mention regularly in GDTs he really is showing more offensive sparkle, and just recently looking to have fun on the ice again

McD laughing with Larsson after a goal on saturday was precious. Its so critical that Adam has fun playing this NHL game again. For while it seemed that wasn't the case.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I see this a lot, but then I see Larsson make one or two beauty passes every game or two and I wonder why he never developed any offensive game.

Edit: just realized I quoted a two year old post. My bad.

In the national team, they let him go more on offensive raids!

Its strange because big rinks shouldnt suit his offensive game as it do.

Paired alot with Klefbom who often went away on drives, he was the security net for him.

We havent any real 1 D, the closest one is gone for the season, think that has messed up our D, someone must take those hard minutes.

Nurse has stepped up recently but we also need Larsson to leading out there with a tough game lead the way for our rookie D.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I chuckled a little at the thread title. which kind of evokes how little this thread has come up. I've liked the re-vigor in Larssons game. I think its helped that Nurse moved into stud territory, and that we now have Barrie, and Bouchard coming into prominence.

My take on Larsson was that it was always going to be hard for him to be the guy, longterm, on D. I think he's better as a 2-3 D, or 3-4, can excel in that kind of assignment but overmatched QOC and workload can get to him at times as it can for most non elite D.

I think he's playing within his role more now, the team is using him within his capability now, and that this is do to Barrie, and our D development and riches at that spot now.

I always thought that the guy, the model, in NJ was Andy Greene, a solid veteran that offered so much to younger D like Larsson. It was always going to hurt that we didn't have that guy here, and I think it impacted Larssons development. It will be interesting now to see how much Adam can lay track in resurrecting components of his game. As I mention regularly in GDTs he really is showing more offensive sparkle, and just recently looking to have fun on the ice again

McD laughing with Larsson after a goal on saturday was precious. Its so critical that Adam has fun playing this NHL game again. For while it seemed that wasn't the case.

I think three things have to jive for Larsson to play up to capacity. He needs to be healthy enough for it to not impact his mobility because if he's too slow to play an aggressive game he just hangs around in the middle of the D-zone trying to protect the front of the net which seriously impacts his defensive efficiency. He needs to be be invested enough to be a mean sob because mean Larsson is a beautiful thing and a nightmare for the opposing forwards.
And he needs to be enjoying himself enough to be relaxed with the puck because when he's not he just throws it away.

I think the last few seasons all three has been lacking for stretches due to back issues and the loss of his father but the Larsson of late looks like he might be finding his mojo both wrt health and a better place emotionally. Go Larsson!

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think three things have to jive for Larsson to play up to capacity. He needs to be healthy enough for it to not impact his mobility because if he's too slow to play an aggressive game he just hangs around in the middle of the D-zone trying to protect the front of the net which seriously impacts his defensive efficiency. He needs to be be invested enough to be a mean sob because mean Larsson is a beautiful thing and a nightmare for the opposing forwards.
And he needs to be enjoying himself enough to be relaxed with the puck because when he's not he just throws it away.

I think the last few seasons all three has been lacking for stretches due to back issues and the loss of his father but the Larsson of late looks like he might be finding his mojo both wrt health and a better place emotionally. Go Larsson!

If it was the right contract, would you resign?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
still has more goals than Hallsy LOL
I watched the Isles/Buffalo game today. Hall was all over the ice. Flat out dominant in several shifts. Six shots on goal, including one that went straight through Varlamov’s five hole, hit the post on the other side and bounced out.

I wasn’t aware that Hall’s lone goal this season was the first goal of the season for Buffalo. Not going to lie, he looked pretty frustrated out there today.

edit - just noticed the thread title. We aren’t supposed to be talking about Hall. It’s @DecadeofDarkness fault, he brought it up first.

Reactions: LaGu

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Props to Larsson for playing some very good hockey of late. He’s been really laying the lumber on people and even freelancing a bit when in the neutral and O zone. Barrie rubbing off a bit? Lol. Hopefully his back stays healthy and we keep seeing the aggressive SOB that punishes in the slot and helps keeps guy on the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad