Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry haters..but Larsson is back
Another great game by him
I'd say great is a bit of a hyperbole. But he was good tonight.

No one's a hater or a Larsson hater. He had been playing like shit for 2 years straight. It'll take more than 3 above average to good games to change that.

Reactions: Aerchon

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Sorry haters..but Larsson is back
Another great game by him
Can you explain why he refuses to win a race to the puck in our own zone. He will have a step on the guy and the angle and he lets them get the puck first every damn time. We get hemmed in our end non-stop when he's out there. It seems like he loves to give the body but scared to take a hit. He's been doing this for the past couple seasons too and theres no benefit since he doesn't break up the cycle when he finishes the hit, they just gain possession and he pads his hit total.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Can you explain why he refuses to win a race to the puck in our own zone. He will have a step on the guy and the angle and he lets them get the puck first every damn time. We get hemmed in our end non-stop when he's out there. It seems like he loves to give the body but scared to take a hit. He's been doing this for the past couple seasons too and theres no benefit since he doesn't break up the cycle when he finishes the hit, they just gain possession and he pads his hit total.
Did you see the game tonight?
How many mistakes did he make?
Can't ask for more from a Dman who gets minimal PP time and most D zone starts.
He played more than his part in Oilers winning the game tonight.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Did you see the game tonight?
How many mistakes did he make?
Can't ask for more from a Dman who gets minimal PP time and most D zone starts.
He played more than his part in Oilers winning the game tonight.
1 game. He hasn't been moving his feet for years when we know full well his skating is just fine. He is low IQ and it shows.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Textbook road win in a very tough rink. Five years ago this team would have been run over by more physical teams. Tonight was a full team effort in their own zone and Klefbom/Larssen played a strong, heavy game with big minutes against Dallas' top line.
A healthy and ready to play Larsson is a very important piece of our puzzle. People wanting to give him away for peanuts are lost. I’m not sure why our boards has this stupid mentally where we want to trade players when their value is at an all-time low. Moronic. Glad none of us are GM.

Reactions: MikeFLB

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
A healthy and ready to play Larsson is a very important piece of our puzzle. People wanting to give him away for peanuts are lost. I’m not sure why our boards has this stupid mentally where we want to trade players when their value is at an all-time low. Moronic. Glad none of us are GM.

He's trash and shouldn't be on the ice if the oilers are going to make the playoffs

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Solid game from him today, not sure if it's just me but his movement looked a lot more fluid than it does when he typically struggles.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Solid game from him today, not sure if it's just me but his movement looked a lot more fluid than it does when he typically struggles.
He definitely looks more mobile to me as well, like he's found another gear.

It's almost a guarantee that if we trade him he will finally put it all together and haunt us for years, may as well keep him and at the very least try to increase his value before trading him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd say great is a bit of a hyperbole. But he was good tonight.

No one's a hater or a Larsson hater. He had been playing like **** for 2 years straight. It'll take more than 3 above average to good games to change that.

He was their best dman in that game. You can quibble over the adjective though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Larsson played well enough last night, but nothing exceptional, and as GK noted Koskinen had himself quite a game robbing the Stars at least half a dozen times.

STILL way too many team turnovers between blue lines, really a shocking amount and the amount of times players were picked clean from behind when they had time to move the puck was driving me batty.

The Oilers will wax this one up as a solid D game, and there were aspects of it, but far too many turnovers and not respecting the puck. But there was also strong cycle work when we did get established. Not a hell of a lot of open ice in this game and I like the way the Stars play. Game was very enjoyable to watch, teams were engaged. Lots of intensity in this one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was their best dman in that game. You can quibble over the adjective though.

For the Oilers, yes. But Heiskanen is very clearly the best D on the ice almost any game he plays and at the shocking age of 20. This guy is the real deal and reminiscent of Bobby Orr. What a stud young D. Dallas really got a good one here. Sky is the limit for this kid. If he becomes the best D on the planet it wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Tippett: "I thought that pair was really strong, that's a big heavy game for them and they performed very well."

By the way, let's not start to move the goal posts here. IMO this thread came back to life a short while ago because Larsson was being trashed and some posters starting pushing back. Now the trashing has kind of stopped for obvious reasons, at least among reasonable posters. But no one has said he's the MVP or that he is exceptional, we're saying that he is playing a good game right now. That he is starting to look like he did in 16/17. That is not an opinion, it's a fact. Nothing more nothing less.

I for one will enjoy it while it lasts, because it is good for the team if he plays well.

Last edited:

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
You can tell he is over that back injury. He has played at a level above anyone else on our d core has reached. Hopefully he gets back to that level of play.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
We already have an unimpressive top 4 of Nurse, Klefbom, now Bear and Larsson. Would need to replace that spot if Larsson is moved as there is no internal replacement at this time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For the Oilers, yes. But Heiskanen is very clearly the best D on the ice almost any game he plays and at the shocking age of 20. This guy is the real deal and reminiscent of Bobby Orr. What a stud young D. Dallas really got a good one here. Sky is the limit for this kid. If he becomes the best D on the planet it wouldn't surprise me.
I'd say him Lindell and Klingberg are all great and better than anything we have. Lucky team

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Interesting take on Larsson by his coach: Edmonton Oilers defenceman Adam Larsson back to rugged self

“I have a great appreciation for defencemen like that because I played with Ulf Samuelsson in my Hartford days before he went to Pittsburgh,” said Oilers coach Dave Tippett. “Those guys are so valuable to a team, so hard to play against and they have some puck-skills. They compete in the trenches and lots of times that’s where hockey games are won and lost.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad