Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'll give him a few more games before passing judgement on him; he's shown glimmers of returning to form, so hopefully he can positively trend from here on out

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll give him a few more games before passing judgement on him; he's shown glimmers of returning to form, so hopefully he can positively trend from here on out
He showed "glimpses" last year. For the past 3 seasons he has been mostly a shittastic defender who bleeds chances against and all around drags his teammates down on the ice. Not a good skater, not a good passser. His defensive reads and physicality were his only redeeming factors and he doesn't use his brain or physicality anymore. No more chances for him, cut ties, Bennings better.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He showed "glimpses" last year. For the past 3 seasons he has been mostly a ****tastic defender who bleeds chances against and all around drags his teammates down on the ice. Not a good skater, not a good passser. His defensive reads and physicality were his only redeeming factors and he doesn't use his brain or physicality anymore. No more chances for him, cut ties, Bennings better.

Benning just as good. I will go that far.
When Russell plays right side also as good.
Jones getting close and has way more offensive/puck moving upside.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Between him and Russell, I don't think I have ever seen 2 more offensively inept capable players. And we have both of them at the same time on our team!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Still don't get the hate this guy gets. I guess people are still upset about "the thing that will result in a thread ban," but honestly Larsson is a solid shutdown guy. Useful, under appreciated player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Still don't get the hate this guy gets. I guess people are still upset about "the thing that will result in a thread ban," but honestly Larsson is a solid shutdown guy. Useful, under appreciated player.
Would be nice if he can start to do that again. Would go a long way.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

He was his first year with the team. He was absolutely solid.
He hasnt been that player for a while now. I hope he gets there again.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Russell is the one to go. We need Larsson.
Caleb Jones is good enough to replace Russell after this year. In all honesty though, the way this is shaking...
We need the bouch bomb.

Reactions: GOilers88

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I'm a huge fan of his but...

As others have mentioned he has really fallen off from even being that the last 2 years.

Injuries? Concusion? Personal issues? Who knows but he has been far more bad than good for a long time.

He was typically a decent passers-by but it's like he has blinders on. His passes are as easy to read as a children's book. He is not fast or agile. His physicality is greatly diminished.

Russell at the moment, anchoring the bottom pairing, looks better than Larsson this year.

Hope he can turn it around. We could use a defenseman like he was prior to the 2017 season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What I don't get is how could this guy shows basically no offensive chops at all? I remember when he was at the WJC's in the season before his draft and he showed abilities with the puck.

Reactions: dawunderboy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What I don't get is how could this guy shows basically no offensive chops at all? I remember when he was at the WJC's in the season before his draft and he showed abilities with the puck.

He has had flashes as an Oiler. I have seen him execute sublime stretch passes and also activate at exactly the right time in the O zone.
Its almost like a confidence thing for him because he just doesnt do it very often.
Might just be a matter of how he was developed. New Jersey set the stage for the Larsson we see now.
They were very thorough in making sure that they drilled "you are a defenisve Dman" into his brain.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm a huge fan of his but...

As others have mentioned he has really fallen off from even being that the last 2 years.

Injuries? Concusion? Personal issues? Who knows but he has been far more bad than good for a long time.

He was typically a decent passers-by but it's like he has blinders on. His passes are as easy to read as a children's book. He is not fast or agile. His physicality is greatly diminished.

Russell at the moment, anchoring the bottom pairing, looks better than Larsson this year.

Hope he can turn it around. We could use a defenseman like he was prior to the 2017 season.

I mean I've been mightily impressed with his past 3 games. Especially last game - great defence and great passing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I mean I've been mightily impressed with his past 3 games. Especially last game - great defence and great passing.

I've noticed he has been better but honestly few if anyone has been great. I've really checked out the last few games and a player would need to have an incredible game for me to notice.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who the hell has Adam Larsson shut down in the last 3 years?

This player has been utter garbage for about a 2 years now.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like Larsson more than most here.

I imagine a fractured fibia in the first period of the first regular season game, the rehab and recovery, to be inserted into back into the line-up being something equivalent to being stationary trying to jump onto a moving train. He's been quite erratic as he catches up physically and mentally to game pace. We see the bad side of this in big minute games likely not helped by having a veteran right handed defender Benning out with injury.

Last thing I would do personally is trade this player for nickels on the dollar - an Oilers tradition that has helped keep them as a brutal franchise for more than a decade. Larsson is still early in peak years performance as a defender with a tough, physical game tailor made for playoff hockey. I bet on him recovering the pedigree we saw in his first year here, nicked up the last couple of years by injury and a pretty devastating circumstances of family loss. Frustrating stretch for the Oilers but it is a systemic setback including bad goaltending, return of weak own zone play and cheating for offence, it is bigger than one player's deficiencies.

Reactions: ujju2

space321

May 11, 2011
I like Larsson more than most here.

I imagine a fractured fibia in the first period of the first regular season game, the rehab and recovery, to be inserted into back into the line-up being something equivalent to being stationary trying to jump onto a moving train. He's been quite erratic as he catches up physically and mentally to game pace. We see the bad side of this in big minute games likely not helped by having a veteran right handed defender Benning out with injury.

Last thing I would do personally is trade this player for nickels on the dollar - an Oilers tradition that has helped keep them as a brutal franchise for more than a decade. Larsson is still early in peak years performance as a defender with a tough, physical game tailor made for playoff hockey. I bet on him recovering the pedigree we saw in his first year here, nicked up the last couple of years by injury and a pretty devastating circumstances of family loss. Frustrating stretch for the Oilers but it is a systemic setback including bad goaltending, return of weak own zone play and cheating for offence, it is bigger than one player's deficiencies.

There's endless excuses for this guy it seems. Bottom line is he's not as good as advertised, never has been and never will.

Reactions: dawunderboy

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Such an odd time to complain about Larsson. Out of the last 5 games he has played three very good games, one good and one average.

Speaking of excuses, he's one of few players right now who doesn't need them. Despite that for every loss there seems to be a game on hfoil of finding ways to attribute the loss to Larsson...

Right now he is looking solid, playing the way he should be and eating 20+ mins of the toughest opposition. He has had a couple of good chances as well and of course the A on Haas's goal last game. Not sure why this is the time to go after him...

Reactions: belair and ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Such an odd time to complain about Larsson. Out of the last 5 games he has played three very good games, one good and one average.

Speaking of excuses, he's one of few players right now who doesn't need them. Despite that for every loss there seems to be a game on hfoil of finding ways to attribute the loss to Larsson...

Right now he is looking solid, playing the way he should be and eating 20+ mins of the toughest opposition. He has had a couple of good chances as well and of course the A on Haas's goal last game. Not sure why this is the time to go after him...
"Right now". He played good last night, that was his first good game this year. Outside of that he has been one of our worst defenders.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have to thank Adam Larsson for something. Last night he made a play that perfectly encapsulates the Oilers of the past month.

Late in the third and trailing by a pair of goals, Larsson receives a pass in the slot.... And proceeds to immediately pass it into a low percentage scoring area. Unsurprisingly, no goal was scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad