Tribute Adam Larsson Appreciation Thread

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Are people not allowed to critique actual game play now?

I guarantee you Oilers players are not going to be immune to this even ones who are with a new team.

This is the new society we live in. Be positive or else you get called out.

Contrary opinions are no longer acceptable unless they correlate with the majority viewpoint.

Do whatever you want. I personally don't think it's a very good look to critique an ex-Oiler after 1 game with a new team, it's like you guys couldn't wait to get your shots in and jumped at the first presentable opportunity to criticize Lars. Says more about you than him or his play.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Do whatever you want. I personally don't think it's a very good look to critique an ex-Oiler after 1 game with a new team, it's like you guys couldn't wait to get your shots in and jumped at the first presentable opportunity to criticize Lars. Says more about you than him or his play.

Actually no it doesn’t.

This board is about discussing hockey.

Adam Larsson used to be an Oilers player so obviously there would be interest in how he’s doing.

He played his first game with his new team and people commented on how he looked in that first game.

He had an uneven game. Did you want people to pretty it up just because?

This criticism was warranted based on his play. You calling people out for doing nothing wrong really says loads about you.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Actually no it doesn’t.

Adam Larsson used to be an Oilers player so obviously there would be interest in how he’s doing.

He played his first game with his new team and people commented on how he looked in that first game.

This criticism was warranted based on his play. You calling people out for doing nothing wrong really says loads about you.

He has a point. Maybe take unbiased stance and try understand where he is coming from.
I don't remember any other ex-oiler that posters seem so hellbent to "critique" on their new team.
There is some bitterness being shown and it is definitely not a good look, especially on a player that one of the reasons he left because of fan vitrol on a trade that he had no control over.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He has a point. Maybe take unbiased stance and try understand where he is coming from.
I don't remember any other ex-oiler that posters seem so hellbent to "critique" on their new team.
There is some bitterness being shown and it is definitely not a good look, especially on a player that one of the reasons he left because of fan vitrol on a trade that he had no control over.
They booed Gretzky when he returned. People are too soft nowadays.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Actually no it doesn’t.

There are different ways you can criticize someone you realize that right? The way those posts were worded made them sound rather petty. It's of course possible that they weren't posted with that intention and I misinterpreted them but considering it was literally his first game with a new team and people around these parts are generally not very forgiving of players who leave Edmonton I think my assumption is fair, which leads us back to the lack of class in that type of behavior.

I mean, go back and look at the Puljujärvi thread after he went back to Finland. It was some of the worst things I've ever read on HF as a whole in all my years here. Some of the people on HFOil can be really nasty when a player leaves. Maybe you think that's classy and has a place here but I sure don't and would rather not read that type of garbage again, so I would hope that a thread that is a about 'appreciation' for Larsson doesn't devolve into toxicity if he's having a bad season on another team, but I wouldn't put it past this board.

North

Jun 25, 2009

This is just not true.

Often times people check in on former players. Did people give a free pass to Lucic when he started with Calgary?

I’d wager Bear is going to get the same treatment.

This is just criticizing posters for the sake of it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
There are different ways you can criticize someone you realize that right? The way those posts were worded made them sound rather petty. It's of course possible that they weren't posted with that intention and I misinterpreted them but considering it was literally his first game with a new team and people around these parts are generally not very forgiving of players who leave Edmonton I think my assumption is fair, which leads us back to the lack of class in that type of behavior.

I mean, go back and look at the Puljujärvi thread after he went back to Finland. It was some of the worst things I've ever read on HF as a whole in all my years here. Some of the people on HFOil can be really nasty when a player leaves. Maybe you think that's classy and has a place here but I sure don't and would rather not read that type of garbage again, so I would hope that a thread that is a about 'appreciation' for Larsson doesn't devolve into toxicity if he's having a bad season on another team, but I wouldn't put it past this board.

Like you said it’s your assumption.

Which is the problem.

Reactions: frag2 and Barrsy

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
Same people saying we should be nice about Larsson use any opportunity to diss Keith and Ceci, so it only makes sense to show them that Larsson just isn't that good.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Same people saying we should be nice about Larsson use any opportunity to diss Keith and Ceci, so it only makes sense to show them that Larsson just isn't that good.

It’s just when should people justifiably comment on a performance. Is there some magic number out there.

He had a tough game and people noticed. It’s not that deep.

Reactions: gordonhught

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
This is just not true.

Often times people check in on former players. Did people give a free pass to Lucic when he started with Calgary?

I’d wager Bear is going to get the same treatment.

This is just criticizing posters for the sake of it.

I disagree, Lucic and Bear were traded. Larsson walked, which some posters have taken personally, which their comments have been deleted from this thread to make it readable.

If your just talking about legitimate player critique, then yes, obviously, that shouldn't be a problem. But toxic comments based on player under the guise of player "critique" shouldn't be tolerated. That was the point.

If you can't see that, it is your problem.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I disagree, Lucic and Bear were traded. Larsson walked, which some posters have taken personally, which their comments have been deleted from this thread to make it readable.

If your just talking about legitimate player critique, then yes, obviously, that shouldn't be a problem. But toxic comments based on player under the guise of player "critique" shouldn't be tolerated. That was the point.

If you can't see that, it is your problem.

What was toxic?

So now you can criticize people who were traded but not those who chose to leave?

What other random rules would you like to make up so you can complain about people’s posts?

This is you policing people making valid observations about Larsson’s play in his first game with Seattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barrsy

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
What was toxic?

So now you can criticize people who were traded but not those who chose to leave?

What other random rules would you like to make up do you can complain about people’s posts?

This is you policing people making valid observations about Larsson’s play in his first game with Seattle.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pointteen

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lars had a rough 1st gane, but you can tell how much it pissed him off that he gave that giveaway. As per usual, he’ll adjust and probably never make an egregious giveaway like that all season.

Looked decent last night. Still overly cautious and without the instincts to be a good outlet passer though. Showed some flair in the o-zone that he’s shown at sometimes while in Edmonton. He probably ends up being the same as he was with the Oilers for them…. But who am I kidding, since we’re the Oilers he probably hits his pre-draft offensive potential finally :(

Reactions: Pointteen

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
What was toxic?

What other random rules would you like to make up so you can complain about people’s posts?

With more time and thought, and with disclosed discussion with another poster. I want to give a reasonable reply, and apologize in my dismissive response in not giving a proper thought to your reply.

About the toxicity, it was not based on your initial critiques of Larsson, but more a generalized observation, that has been clouded by past responses on this thread, and is unfair to group valid observations with toxic responses to the player.

Everyone is not above criticism, I was just stating that those that choose to leave seem to garner much more vitrol compared to someone who wanted to stay but traded. I just think it's unfair to critique a player if your in that state of negative emotion, leaving you with a biased opinion that could lead to a more negative critique based on that emotion and not in place of reason. I think that is valid criticism. Not saying you responded this way. But that critique may be distorted to the actually play.

Whatever rules written or unwritten on the conduct of posters is really not my place, obviously it will be the posters that will either report said response and the moderators discretion to remove any inappropriate posts.

I just come from a place, where I have seen players run out of town, and understanding the controversy with Larsson, I can understand the quick critique could be misinterpreted as being petty on the player who just recently left for another organization. It's my own fault in forgetting the depth that oiler fans can get into with players, and it's my problem to able to discern between valid criticisms and inappropriate flaming.
But as fanbase, I think it's important for us to be able to ask the hard questions, and I thank you for calling me out on mine.
As Edmonton being such a hard destination to attract talent, and being probably some the hardest posters to critique their players. I think we can unfair with our critique sometimes, and being able to respond to those critiques is just as important. Finding a middle ground and understanding each other is important in any argument.
But I also may have jumped the gun in this conversation, and will try be a little more tactful in my responses.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Lars had a rough 1st gane, but you can tell how much it pissed him off that he gave that giveaway. As per usual, he’ll adjust and probably never make an egregious giveaway like that all season.

Looked decent last night. Still overly cautious and without the instincts to be a good outlet passer though. Showed some flair in the o-zone that he’s shown at sometimes while in Edmonton. He probably ends up being the same as he was with the Oilers for them…. But who am I kidding, since we’re the Oilers he probably hits his pre-draft offensive potential finally :(

Havent seen a game , and im a Larsson fan, but i saw he logged 25 min last game ,most of both teams players, read that kraken was outplayed the 3rd period defending a lead.

He will be huge for Krakens, a whole new team takes time to get chemistry together,it will take 15-20 games atleast to see how they manage, but think it will be alot of defending true the season for the krakens.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Havent seen a game , and im a Larsson fan, but i saw he logged 25 min last game ,most of both teams players, read that kraken was outplayed the 3rd period defending a lead.

He will be huge for Krakens, a whole new team takes time to get chemistry together,it will take 15-20 games atleast to see how they manage, but think it will be alot of defending true the season for the krakens.
I still think the Kraken will be bad, but I've watched them out of curiosity and I'm a bit shaken in that belief. They are still missing a key piece or two. (edit: by that I mean, they have players like Gourde who haven't gotten to play yet)

There is a real possibility that maybe NHL hockey is more depth driven than we ever imagined. Even a team like the Isles with all their depth, have a few key super start type contributors like Barzal.

I'm still betting against them. We'll see

Last edited:
Reactions: McClelland

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With more time and thought, and with disclosed discussion with another poster. I want to give a reasonable reply, and apologize in my dismissive response in not giving a proper thought to your reply.

About the toxicity, it was not based on your initial critiques of Larsson, but more a generalized observation, that has been clouded by past responses on this thread, and is unfair to group valid observations with toxic responses to the player.

Everyone is not above criticism, I was just stating that those that choose to leave seem to garner much more vitrol compared to someone who wanted to stay but traded. I just think it's unfair to critique a player if your in that state of negative emotion, leaving you with a biased opinion that could lead to a more negative critique based on that emotion and not in place of reason. I think that is valid criticism. Not saying you responded this way. But that critique may be distorted to the actually play.

Whatever rules written or unwritten on the conduct of posters is really not my place, obviously it will be the posters that will either report said response and the moderators discretion to remove any inappropriate posts.

I just come from a place, where I have seen players run out of town, and understanding the controversy with Larsson, I can understand the quick critique could be misinterpreted as being petty on the player who just recently left for another organization. It's my own fault in forgetting the depth that oiler fans can get into with players, and it's my problem to able to discern between valid criticisms and inappropriate flaming.
But as fanbase, I think it's important for us to be able to ask the hard questions, and I thank you for calling me out on mine.
As Edmonton being such a hard destination to attract talent, and being probably some the hardest posters to critique their players. I think we can unfair with our critique sometimes, and being able to respond to those critiques is just as important. Finding a middle ground and understanding each other is important in any argument.
But I also may have jumped the gun in this conversation, and will try be a little more tactful in my responses.

You're truly a class act. Thanks for the replies and will thank you again in this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: MettleMcOiler

North

Jun 25, 2009

Thank you for this. I do get where you are coming from.

This fan base can be harsh sometimes.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Appreciate the thoughtful post. It’s nice to see posters elucidating their feelings instead of lashing out emotionally when challenged about supporting the players more than the crest they wore (not directed to anyone posting in this thread recently)

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
its embarrassing for certain posters, just Larsson be. Theres no point in dredging it up, except to serve biased opinions and rub it in that he didn't choose your favourite team. (not you but the toxic poster criticizing Larsson)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
its embarrassing for certain posters, just Larsson be. Theres no point in dredging it up, except to serve biased opinions and rub it in that he didn't choose your favourite team. (not you but the toxic poster criticizing Larsson)
It's worth dredging up, but imo only in threads about Holland's performance.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Larsson doesn't make that pass to Jesse last night that put the game away for us. He was a good player for us and seemed like a good guy. But just like Ethan Bear who I also think is a good guy, they are gone now and in their place we have a more complete player in Ceci and a young stud in Bouchard while also having a legit NHL 3rd line thanks to the addition of Foegele from the trade and a cheap and solid signing of Derek Ryan. I wish them all the best and thank them for their time here entertaining us fans, but life moves on and I for one am pretty damn happy with what I have seen from their replacements early on this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad