Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don’t completely agree, but your ideas get me thinking.

Which of our young guys do you believe will push out a vet?
Gaudette - yes
Dahlen?
Demko?
Juiolevi?
Brisbois?
Lind?
Gadjovic?
Palmu?
Jasek?
I know I’m missing some.

Gaudette - Maybe, problem is he's waiver-exempt and Canucks under Benning seem reluctant to waive players.
Dahlen? No.
Demko? No, don't see them having the balls to waive Nillsson and his $2.5MM contract
Juiolevi? No, coming off back surgery and only recently back on the ice
Brisbois? Not even close, only reason he gets NHL time this year is to try and validate their decision to draft him and is one of the go-to names Benning throws out.
Lind? No, AHL for entire year unless he goes PPG+
Gadjovic? No, I think he's going to struggle with transition to pro.
Palmu? No.
Jasek? No.

Here's the problem, given the roster today, the D core is pretty much set in stone as a group of 8 1-way non-waiver exempt players that will be on the NHL roster: Edler Tanev Gudbranson MDZ Hutton Biega Pouliot. For sure we'll end up using probably 10 different dmen with injury call-ups, so guys like Chatfield/Juolevi/Saunter will likely get cups of coffee at the NHL level. If we end up trading Hutton at his lowest value, that would make total sense for this management group and leave 14 forward spots (2 forward spares).

Assuming 14 spots instead of the standard 13 forward spots, let's make some very easy assumptions about players who are absolutely locked into NHL spots year round due to their contract/term/coaches preference for grit and or veteran status: Boeser Horvat Baertschi Sutter Eriksson Gagner Roussel Beagle Schaller Granlund Virtanen

Oh **** that's already 11 spots taken and only 2-3 of those players above are really good.

Add Petersson to the mix for his rookie season and we're down to 2 roster spots (2 in the press bo) and still have Gaunce/Motte/Goldobin/Kero in the mix as the tweeners.

IMO Gaunce should 100% be on this roster and is a valuable bottom-6 piece, so now we're at 1 spot.

And again, this is going on the assumption of 14F 7D 2G, which is more likely to be 13F 8D 2G. Players are going to have to be waived no matter what, it's just how many, and if the Canucks want to limit the number of guys they throw on the waiver wire, waiver exempt players like Gaudette and Motte (1 NHL game away from waiver status) will be the first to head to the minors.

Reactions: Luckylarry

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gaudette - Maybe, problem is he's waiver-exempt and Canucks under Benning seem reluctant to waive players.
Dahlen? No.
Demko? No, don't see them having the balls to waive Nillsson and his $2.5MM contract
Juiolevi? No, coming off back surgery and only recently back on the ice
Brisbois? Not even close, only reason he gets NHL time this year is to try and validate their decision to draft him and is one of the go-to names Benning throws out.
Lind? No, AHL for entire year unless he goes PPG+
Gadjovic? No, I think he's going to struggle with transition to pro.
Palmu? No.
Jasek? No.

Here's the problem, given the roster today, the D core is pretty much set in stone as a group of 8 1-way non-waiver exempt players that will be on the NHL roster: Edler Tanev Gudbranson MDZ Hutton Biega Pouliot. For sure we'll end up using probably 10 different dmen with injury call-ups, so guys like Chatfield/Juolevi/Saunter will likely get cups of coffee at the NHL level. If we end up trading Hutton at his lowest value, that would make total sense for this management group and leave 14 forward spots (2 forward spares).

Assuming 14 spots instead of the standard 13 forward spots, let's make some very easy assumptions about players who are absolutely locked into NHL spots year round due to their contract/term/coaches preference for grit and or veteran status: Boeser Horvat Baertschi Sutter Eriksson Gagner Roussel Beagle Schaller Granlund Virtanen

Oh **** that's already 11 spots taken and only 2-3 of those players above are really good.

Add Petersson to the mix for his rookie season and we're down to 2 roster spots (2 in the press bo) and still have Gaunce/Motte/Goldobin/Kero in the mix as the tweeners.

IMO Gaunce should 100% be on this roster and is a valuable bottom-6 piece, so now we're at 1 spot.

And again, this is going on the assumption of 14F 7D 2G, which is more likely to be 13F 8D 2G. Players are going to have to be waived no matter what, it's just how many, and if the Canucks want to limit the number of guys they throw on the waiver wire, waiver exempt players like Gaudette and Motte (1 NHL game away from waiver status) will be the first to head to the minors.
Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Rousell Beagle Eriksson
Schaller Gaunce

Trade/wave Gags and Granny

And when injuries happen still tons a guys who can be called in: Archie Clamato or a young guy whose earned a shot

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Horvat 15-18 mins
Gaudette 11-14 mins
Sutter 15-18mins
Beagle 10-13 mins

Times very based on PP/PK time.

Green will play Sutter in his 'shutdown' role, while Gaudette will centre the 2nd offensive line.

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser
Eriksson, Gaudette, Pettersson
Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen
xxxx, Beagle, xxxx
Goldobin/Gagner/Leipsic/Granlund/Schaller battle for the final 2 spots, unless trades are made.

Gaunce - Beagle - Schaller
Leipsic

Hopefully, but probably not.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I can't think of two less comparable players.

Maybe a little hyperbole ... How about....

Cliff Ronning and Gino Odjick? Pavel Bure and Brad May? Or more recent, The Guddy one and Quinn Hughes?

Just sayin'

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Rousell Beagle Eriksson
Schaller Gaunce

Trade/wave Gags and Granny

And when injuries happen still tons a guys who can be called in: Archie Clamato or a young guy whose earned a shot
I would also hope that Canucks management has to think that if they only go with Pettersson as the only rookie this year, what happens next season?

Demko, Q. Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette, Dahlen, (and any of Lind, Brisebois, etc. who might rise up) and say they do win the lottery and get J. Hughes. Is this management group going to go from 1 rookie in Boeser, then Pettersson for 2 straight years to suddenly adding 6 or 7 rookies next season?

If you have the opportunity to bring along Gaudette and Demko this year, I think you do that.

At some point, just have to accept sunk costs.

I say start the year with 14 forwards because Biega should clear waivers at the start of the year. He's a spare Dman type, and I don't think other teams would put a claim in on him to expose someone else.

So, with 14 forwards, I would like to see:

Horvat, Boeser, Bear, Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, Petterson, Gaudette, Goldobin, Gaunce, Granlund.

Waive Gagner and I think he clears. If they can retain on him and find a taker, do it.

Send Motte, Dahlen to the AHL. If Leipsic and Archibald can clear, they go to Utica, if not, nothing really lost.

I really don't see Gagner as being a reason that a prospects should be caught in a numbers game.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I would also hope that Canucks management has to think that if they only go with Pettersson as the only rookie this year, what happens next season?

Demko, Q. Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette, Dahlen, (and any of Lind, Brisebois, etc. who might rise up) and say they do win the lottery and get J. Hughes. Is this management group going to go from 1 rookie in Boeser, then Pettersson for 2 straight years to suddenly adding 6 or 7 rookies next season?

If you have the opportunity to bring along Gaudette and Demko this year, I think you do that.

At some point, just have to accept sunk costs.

I say start the year with 14 forwards because Biega should clear waivers at the start of the year. He's a spare Dman type, and I don't think other teams would put a claim in on him to expose someone else.

So, with 14 forwards, I would like to see:

Horvat, Boeser, Bear, Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, Petterson, Gaudette, Goldobin, Gaunce, Granlund.

Waive Gagner and I think he clears. If they can retain on him and find a taker, do it.

Send Motte, Dahlen to the AHL. If Leipsic and Archibald can clear, they go to Utica, if not, nothing really lost.

I really don't see Gagner as being a reason that a prospects should be caught in a numbers game.
I agree with quite a bit of this but I think the chances of Biega clearing waivers at anytime is around zero. Gagner, Granlund, Leipsic, Boucher; sure. But no way somebody doesn't claim Biega, he's the ideal spare D. Everyone has seen it by now. It's no secret any longer.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think Gaudette will become a 2nd line centreman at the NHL Level, a Bonino, Bozak caliber player.
Sorry Lawrence but I agree with the Munchkin, your cutting his ceiling TOO low. He CAN be better than guys like that

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

One could read something negative into that...holding your own against bigger bodies during camp/scrimmage is a hell of a lot different to holding your own in the preseason and heading into the season. The real tests begin now for these kids. It remains to be seen if they excel like Boeser did last year or if they need further work in the minors. I wasn't as bullish as many were on Gaudette's games last year. I thought he looked out of place at the NHL level which isn't a surprise or a criticism. Those 5 games did give him some knowledge of the level he needs to get to so let's see what strides he's made.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gaudette has slick skill underlying his game.. great hands that showed themselves in flashes in his 5 game sample. Slight dangle here, a quick shift to find space there.. i think he has 2nd line upside as well.
Another player im looking forward to seeing where they're at over the next few days.

GAME DAY!

One could read something negative into that...

Some people Always do. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad