Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually prefer Eriksson's game over Sutter's overall (although that may have more to do with disliking the way that Sutter plays). He seems to have lost a step and seems permanently passive now, so putting him on a line without a play-driver is a nightmare, but he's still a smart player who can complement others and play a very responsible, well rounded game. He's the furthest thing possible from a world-beater in any sense, but at least he's not a boat anchor in any area.

Sutter has positive qualities too, but I feel that his negative qualities almost negate them. It's like, yeah, you can play responsibly and produce a bit here and there, but at the expense of those around him.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
He is still a quality 2way player he just has a brutal contract. If he was making $3MM nobody would mention the guy. I hate him, but it’s true. Over 82 games he had a 37 point pace last year playing with garbage linemates. Solid 3rd line production and he is sound defensively. We just felt charitable and gave him first line $. Never sign big UFAs. Hardly ever works out.

$4.4 million is first line money? Seriously? The Sutter trade was an abomination, but his contract is fine. He's basically signed at market value, 500k over tops. Trading Bonino, who was signed for 3 years @ 1.9, for an RFA Sutter was really dumb. Benning being on the side adding a high 2nd, when Rutherford didn't have the space to sign Sutter and should've been over a barrell, takes it to another level... I think people conflate the trade and his contract for whatever reason.

Reactions: billvanseattle

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
$4.4 million is first line money? Seriously? The Sutter trade was an abomination, but his contract is fine. He's basically signed at market value, 500k over tops. Trading Bonino, who was signed for 3 years @ 1.9, for an RFA Sutter was really dumb. Benning being on the side adding a high 2nd, when Rutherford didn't have the space to sign Sutter and should've been over a barrell, takes it to another level... I think people conflate the trade and his contract for whatever reason.
I was referring to Loui’s contract not sutter

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

It was a low 2nd. It was Ducks 2nd round pick they traded. Canucks got a 3rd round pick back.

Sutter has a better last name and that's why he probably worth more.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I actually prefer Eriksson's game over Sutter's overall (although that may have more to do with disliking the way that Sutter plays). He seems to have lost a step and seems permanently passive now, so putting him on a line without a play-driver is a nightmare, but he's still a smart player who can complement others and play a very responsible, well rounded game. He's the furthest thing possible from a world-beater in any sense, but at least he's not a boat anchor in any area.

Sutter has positive qualities too, but I feel that his negative qualities almost negate them. It's like, yeah, you can play responsibly and produce a bit here and there, but at the expense of those around him.
That's why I always believed in sticking Sutter with veteran guys or players who aren't going to be expected to produce offensively. Last season it was Dorsett and Gaunce I believe. This season, assuming our centres are Horvat-Gaudette-Sutter-Beagle, I say stick Sutter with Gaunce and Schaller. Stick Beagle with Roussel and Granlund. If they don't produce offence, well at least they aren't sinking down any premier offensive players. If they do, that's great. Obviously 0 goals is unacceptable, but at least our top point-getters aren't being anchored down. That leaves guys like Baertschi, Eriksson, Goldobin, Pettersson, Virtanen, Boeser, Gagner with skilled centres. We got some extras.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's why I always believed in sticking Sutter with veteran guys or players who aren't going to be expected to produce offensively. Last season it was Dorsett and Gaunce I believe. This season, assuming our centres are Horvat-Gaudette-Sutter-Beagle, I say stick Sutter with Gaunce and Schaller. Stick Beagle with Roussel and Granlund. If they don't produce offence, well at least they aren't sinking down any premier offensive players. If they do, that's great. Obviously 0 goals is unacceptable, but at least our top point-getters aren't being anchored down. That leaves guys like Baertschi, Eriksson, Goldobin, Pettersson, Virtanen, Boeser, Gagner with skilled centres. We got some extras.
I agree with that deployment of Sutter, but I think it's still too early to pidgeon-hole Gaunce like that, personally.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
A tough and logical mgmt team would send him to Utica (assuming we can). He can ride the bus or retire. He shouldn't be in our dressing room.
Totally agreed i guess your previous message was sarcastic :laugh:

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
"spurts".....maybe the odd shift. Certainly he earned his salary.

No one's saying he earned his salary. There was a good 11 game stretch, a spurt if you will, where he was playing like a top line player. When he wasn't producing, which was the majority of the season, he was playing solid defence. No would be complaining if he was paid like Chris Higgins.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
How many pts for Gaudette with the Canucks this year??? My guess is 45-55

Man I love this player :yo:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Unless he thoroughly outplays the competition in camp and preseason a year in Utica is probably for the best. Near PPG showing there would be good progress and one could pencil him in for next year in a top 9 role. Realistically his upside is no higher than Tatar or Nyquist and those guys didn't secure a steady gig in the show until draft +5.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
He's probably the 3rd best centre we have. Whether he is given the chance to actually play in the top 9 and have some decent wingers will decide how he does this year.

Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson-Eriksson
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Is what SHOULD happen if this camp was decided using ability and not contractual obligations

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
He's probably the 3rd best centre we have. Whether he is given the chance to actually play in the top 9 and have some decent wingers will decide how he does this year.

Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson-Eriksson
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Is what SHOULD happen if this camp was decided using ability and not contractual obligations

Its great to have Gaudette in our back pocket, he is our best dark horse but to label him better than Sutter and Gagner AT THIS point is overly hopeful.... He will have to get acclimated to the NHL game and those first two years are hard years, especially when a coach will limit you if you are in his dog house.

Then again to jump Sutter and Gagner isn't going to be overly challenging, they are disposable NHL players after all

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it means anything, but the last four winners of the Hobey Baker never spent a game in the minors. And the last player in his junior season to win it was Johnny Gaudreau. So if Gaudette spends any time in the minors he'll be a bit of an outlier in terms of recent winners.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't know if it means anything, but the last four winners of the Hobey Baker never spent a game in the minors. And the last player in his junior season to win it was Johnny Gaudreau. So if Gaudette spends any time in the minors he'll be a bit of an outlier in terms of recent winners.

This is something that seems to fly under the radar—if Gaudette is unable to play at the NHL level after winning the Hobey Baker, he'll buck the recent trend for one, and maybe we'll need to re-assess how strong of a prospect he actually is.

The main problem however is not with Gaudette, but with the litany of absolutely forgettable NHL players that have been given lucrative and secure 1-way NHL contracts who will be gifted spots on this roster lest they make the GM look bad. There's almost no room for a guy like Gaudette to be given the rope to learn from his mistakes as he'll maybe be able to get a paltry 10-12 minutes a game. I honestly have no idea why we're not just loading kids up with ice time and letting them play a la New Jersey last year. Worst case: the team still doesn't win much (which, in it's current state will be true). Best case: upswing year on the backs of our youth that we can actually build on.

For a group of people who seem to love our prospects, HF posters and management alike seem *terrified* of throwing guys like Demko or Gaudette into good opportunities. These guys should not be spending long periods of time in the minors this year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is something that seems to fly under the radar—if Gaudette is unable to play at the NHL level after winning the Hobey Baker, he'll buck the recent trend for one, and maybe we'll need to re-assess how strong of a prospect he actually is.

The main problem however is not with Gaudette, but with the litany of absolutely forgettable NHL players that have been given lucrative and secure 1-way NHL contracts who will be gifted spots on this roster lest they make the GM look bad. There's almost no room for a guy like Gaudette to be given the rope to learn from his mistakes as he'll maybe be able to get a paltry 10-12 minutes a game. I honestly have no idea why we're not just loading kids up with ice time and letting them play a la New Jersey last year. Worst case: the team still doesn't win much (which, in it's current state will be true). Best case: upswing year on the backs of our youth that we can actually build on.

For a group of people who seem to love our prospects, HF posters and management alike seem *terrified* of throwing guys like Demko or Gaudette into good opportunities. These guys should not be spending long periods of time in the minors this year.
I don’t completely agree, but your ideas get me thinking.

Which of our young guys do you believe will push out a vet?
Gaudette - yes
Dahlen?
Demko?
Juiolevi?
Brisbois?
Lind?
Gadjovic?
Palmu?
Jasek?
I know I’m missing some.

Ad

Upcoming events