Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Hobey Baker winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think they will, to an extent. That’s what they did with Baertschi if you recall, when most fans wanted him gone. They just kept playing him, and let him play through his mistakes, so they do have a track record of trying that from time to time.

If Gaudette gets 30 games to start the season, barring a trade or injury, it'll mean putting a player on waivers -- Goldobin, Gaunce, somebody. Maybe they'll do that, but I'm betting they won't, so I think Gaudette will start in Utica.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If Gaudette gets 30 games to start the season, barring a trade or injury, it'll mean putting a player on waivers -- Goldobin, Gaunce, somebody. Maybe they'll do that, but I'm betting they won't, so I think Gaudette will start in Utica.
Gaudette will have tto blow the dooors off to start in Van.

Better off playing big minutes in Utica.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

He could outplay Sutter by 150% in training camp and still end up in the minors....Despite the rhetoric from the executive booth, that's just the way it is.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Why is that? He should be able to jump into the NHL this season if he’s worthy of the hype he’recieving. He’s 21 turning 22 this year. He should be ready. He should have a spot penciled in unless he sucks in camp and preseason.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Why is that? He should be able to jump into the NHL this season if he’s worthy of the hype he’recieving. He’s 21 turning 22 this year. He should be ready. He should have a spot penciled in unless he sucks in camp and preseason.

Who would you put on waivers to make room for him?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
A forward needs to be traded, waived, or injured for Pettersson to make the team, let alone Gaudette

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
A forward needs to be traded, waived, or injured for Pettersson to make the team, let alone Gaudette

This is a bit ridiculous, if Pettersson and Gaudette show up at training camp and take a spot they get on the team, we don’t have a lot of quality players to hold them back. Same story for Hughes and Juolevi, there’s not quality ahead of them.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
when you watched his 6 games did he look like a guy ready to anchor a top 6 line?

Not to me. i think he'll be fine but he is a middle 6 upside guy who looked like he needed to learn the pro game. Jake Guentzel who is a stud for the Pens needed30 games in the AHL at the exact same development age and path before joining the Pens. i would love to be blown away but i feel he will need some transitioning time.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
This is a bit ridiculous, if Pettersson and Gaudette show up at training camp and take a spot they get on the team, we don’t have a lot of quality players to hold them back. Same story for Hughes and Juolevi, there’s not quality ahead of them.
Youre hopefully right. It would be nice to pawn Gagner off to MTL since he has a french sounding name. My point still stands though, a trade/waive/summer injury is needed to fit even one of them at this point

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

He's the reigning Hobey Baker winner–if he can't make a bottom-3 NHL squad we're in serious trouble and have to start questioning whether Gaudette is even a good prospect.

The guy is 22 in October, he needs to be given an extended period of time with a big leash in the NHL.

Reactions: Caspian

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

There is 0% chance Hughes or OJ makes the team, regardless of what management says about "making room" or "just bringing in competition". There's gonna be 8 defensemen already pencilled in the big lineup. I don't see them waiving any of them. Edler/Tanev/RealGud/MDZ/Stecher/Pouliot are locked in for better or worse. That's your starting 6. They like Biega too. And I know Hutton is in the dog house, but they're not going to shoo him away to get OJ 9 games only to be sent down later.

And it's not like if Gaudette shows up and outplays Beagle, they're going to send Beagle to the minors either. I mean, I could see them ditching Gaunce or Goldobin, but that would also seem to look poor on the organization.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i dont get the hate for Sutter he's a proven quality btm 6 NHL player who's pretty low maintenance.

If Gaudette is good enough he will play. Beagle can play RW

He's going to be the 2C this year. Management is already on record wanting to "move him up the lineup" and increase his role. He makes 2C more money than a bottom-six guy should.

You see the problem now.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Granlund or Motte. I wouldn’t give Leipsic a spot over him either.

I'm pretty sure that Motte doesn't require waivers, but maybe that was only last season. I'd waive Granlund too, but I'm betting that management doesn't see it that way, and it'll be Gaudette down in Utica.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He could outplay Sutter by 150% in training camp and still end up in the minors....Despite the rhetoric from the executive booth, that's just the way it is.

I think you’re ignoring history a bit here. I recall when McCann and Virtanen outplayed Linden Vey they made the team and Vey was waived to the minors. Vey was an example of one of the coaches and managements guys who they recently paid a high draft pick for. It showed that there is a meritocracy. Same with Hutton making the team over Corrado. These guys aren’t afraid to waive players who don’t make the cut whoever they are.

Reactions: alternate and F A N

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I think you’re ignoring history a bit here. I recall when McCann and Virtanen outplayed Linden Vey they made the team and Vey was waived to the minors. Vey was an example of one of the coaches and managements guys who they recently paid a high draft pick for. It showed that there is a meritocracy. Same with Hutton making the team over Corrado. These guys aren’t afraid to waive players who don’t make the cut whoever they are.
You're talking about fringe NHL'ers displacing fring NHL'ers. Yah, of course management will do that. That's not a sign of a meritocracy.

Meritocracy - trade Sutter if Gaudette outplays him for the 2C Spot. Not going to happen.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Yeah better off a bottom 3 team playing 33 year old Jay Beagle for his 5 goals and some of the worst defensive metrics in the NHL.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And it's not like if Gaudette shows up and outplays Beagle, they're going to send Beagle to the minors either. I mean, I could see them ditching Gaunce or Goldobin, but that would also seem to look poor on the organization.

Why does he need to outplay Beagle? The Canucks C depth consist of Horvat, Sutter, and Beagle. If Guadette is seen as a C he joins that group. Others are seen more as wingers.

Reactions: sting101

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Some of you who keep attacking and bashing Gaudette are missing one key thing: he will absolutely kill it and make 2C. Just cant see it not happening hes such a determined guy with SUPREME character

I tell ya the negativity towards anything AND everything about the Nucks from our own fans is really turning me anti anti Benning. YIKES

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah better off a bottom 3 team playing 33 year old Jay Beagle for his 5 goals and some of the worst defensive metrics in the NHL.
what about his games at the end of last season suggested he should be gifted a spot?

looked decent but also like a player that needed some development to me

And are you suggesting Beagle is a bad player? If so have you watched the Capitals much the last 3 or 4 yrs....Beagle was an excellent player for them

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I don't think there's a wrong answer when it comes to Gaudette. The way I see it, there's 3 options:

1-top 6 minutes in Utica
2-top 6 minutes in Vancouver.
3-bottom 6 minutes in Vancouver.

2+3 are dependent on what he's ready for. But all 3 have pros and cons, with none of the cons being "ruin his development. " If he's clearly ready for the NHL, Benning has shown he will find room for him. If he goes down to Utica and plays with some combination of Dahlen/Lind/Jasek/Gadget then that's not a bad thing either.

Not worried at all about Gaudette this year. Almost guarantee he will see some NHL games. No harm starting him in Utica getting big minutes and prime offensive situations.

Reactions: sting101 and Tv9924

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Lol...if the Canucks are relying on Horvat, Sutter, Beagle and/or Gaunce to be their center icemen, they'll be locked into lottery land by Xmas. Gaudette virtually the only pivot they've got, other than Horvat, with any capability of generating some offense. So unless they shift Pettersson to the middle immediately, Gaudette would really have to stink it up in training camp to get shipped out imo.

Reactions: Mr4legs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad