Player Discussion Adam Fox

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Why is this guy not locked in his house 24/7 rethinking the play that cost Game 7, instead of busy proposing to a random stranger? Gonna be an albatross contract.
Doesn't take a lot of rethinking. Gorgeous 2000 IQ play by Motte to not give up the puck and extend our ensuing PP time at the end of 4 on 4. Then as the seconds are winding down on 4 on 4, Lindgren flees to the bench. Fox should have regrouped behind the net. When he got pressured he didn't have any outlets.

S happens.

Reactions: will1066

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
Moonlighting in the women's soccer world cup?

fox.jpg

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Dude needs to buy some furniture.

Fox used the house Gallant was living in while coaching the team. He figured since Gallant moved out, the space was empty and perfect for the proposal.

Fox is not only big brained on the ice, but off it.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Honestly, outside of McDavid and maybe MacKinnon, is there any skater in the league that tilts the ice more in his team’s favor than Fox?

Guy plays 24 minutes a night, dominates possession, plays unreal defense and also happens to be an elite point producer.

I’m sure I’m missing some people, but there has to be a chart somewhere that shows he’s in at least the top 5 league-wide in a metric like CORSI.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
He’ll probably retire as the greatest Ranger defenseman (imo and trust me I hold 2 in pretty high regard) and he’s really only getting started. We’re very lucky.
I don't think Fox will come close when all is said and done. Fox will never take over games and flat out dominate the way Leetch did. He will also most likely never crack 100 points in a season. It took 30 years for a defenseman to do it since Leetch, when Karlsson did it last season.

And that's fine. It's not a knock on him. He's elite for today's game. Best we've had since Leetch. And I argue he's better than Makar. But none of them are better than Leetch was. That Era of defensemen will never be matched. At least not any time soon. Leetch, Bourque, Coffey, MacInnis... Leetch is 8th all time in NHL defenseman scoring. One of only 8 defensemen in NHL history with over 1000 career points. Of those 8 only 1 played less games. Potvin. I don't think Fox is reaching that. Burns is the closest active defenseman to that and he's only got 800+ career points toward the end of his career.

Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, Hockey Hall of Fame, USA Hockey Hall of Fame, IIHF Hall of Fame. Leetch wasn't just one of the best defensemen ever, he was one of the best players ever period.

Fox is good. We're lucky to have him. He's not Leetch.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I always have to wonder "why" that's the case though

my random musings would be that the overall talent level of the league back then was a lot lower, so your truly talented players could shine more. I very much do not believe there was just some mystical golden age that all the best players that have ever or will ever play just happened to be in, there is some reason why those guys reached those heights that goes beyond "oh they're just better than everyone else ever will be"

The talent level and atheltic ability these days of athletes is absurd and there is zero reason why any of these guys aren't as or more talented than Leetch, Borque, Potvin, even Orr. Waving our hands and saying "those guys were just special and we'll never see their like again!" is just an appeal to antiquity. But the average fourth liner these days is probably miles ahead of the average fourth liner back then. The average goalie is an absolute beast compared to the average goalie back then. The game has changed, the depth talent level is higher, it's absurdly difficult to constantly take over games like you're playing against peewees because even the worst players have ridiculous skills to anyone who's not a pro. That players like Makar and Fox can take over games and tilt the ice the way they do is amazing in todays game. That McDavid can do what he does places him among the elites to ever play the game.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Well yeah, you basically had two 'scoring lines' your 3rd was your 'shutdown' line and your 4th was your 'goon' line, so a player like leetch who could play 24 mins a game every night had lots of open ice.

Reactions: CLW

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
looks like fox hit the gym this summer...or hanging out with trouba all summer rubbed off on him. whatever it is, he's been far more physical than he's ever been so far this year. he's stepped up on guys a few times and thrown some nice reverse hits. not to say he's been a wrecking ball out there or thrown any massive hits nor do i expect that, but if you watch him competing for pucks or space he's been noticeably more aggressive in his play, and you can see him skating into more pucks in the o/neutral zone where he knows contact is unavoidable. looks like he just has a bit more of an attitude to his game this year and looks a lot stronger.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
looks like fox hit the gym this summer...or hanging out with trouba all summer rubbed off on him. whatever it is, he's been far more physical than he's ever been so far this year. he's stepped up on guys a few times and thrown some nice reverse hits. not to say he's been a wrecking ball out there or thrown any massive hits nor do i expect that, but if you watch him competing for pucks or space he's been noticeably more aggressive in his play, and you can see him skating into more pucks in the o/neutral zone where he knows contact is unavoidable. looks like he just has a bit more of an attitude to his game this year and looks a lot stronger.

So crazy to think his game is growing. Legend.

• Love
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad