Player Discussion Adam Fox

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Leetch is one of best players of all time, not just Rangers. Fox is nowhere near what Leetch was. I love Fox and he is the best D we've had since Leetch and maybe my favorite current player in the league, but that doesn't make him anywhere close to Leetch. By the same age Leetch had over 100 points more in his career. By the age of 24 (Fox) Leetch scored 100 pts in a season, had two 80 pt seasons, and a 70 pt season. 5 seasons Leetch was at or over point per game. Fox hasn't done it once, in an era without two line passing, no hooking, and slashing, no suffocating neutral zone traps. Leetch had to do all he did against the greatest generation of hockey players but simultaneously the most suffocating defensive schemes in the history of the sport that literally needed restructuring of the ice surface markings and rules to eliminate. He also had to carry awful non playoff teams on his back the second half of his career until he was traded. No offense but how old are you? If you haven't seen both their careers, even if you have, I don't think you can say with a straight face that Fox is anything close to what Leetch was. No defenseman currently in the league is. Also, Leetch scored 34 points in the 94 playoffs. No defenseman since has passed him.
Ah yes, the notoriously defensive and hard to score in late 80's and early 90's, when Leetch had 4 of his 5 PPG seasons.

Leetch is amazing, and I agree he's the best, but Fox is a lot closer than you think.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Through 2 games:

Adam Fox: 6 points
Cale Makar: 1 point

360_F_560351692_ImvA4D6aBV5ElWoONDz0PySMZLaeJ6ik.jpg

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
Some more love for Fox: How Adam Fox Is Silencing New Jersey's Offense

I love this player. Everyone's raving about his offense (and rightfully so), but he's been really strong defensively in the first round. He doesn't get the credit he deserves in that area of the game. New Jersey's numbers when Fox is on/off the ice are kind of insane.

Anyway, here's some defensive footage for you to enjoy:

Good luck with the rest of the series!

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL

I love this player. Everyone's raving about his offense (and rightfully so), but he's been really strong defensively in the first round. He doesn't get the credit he deserves in that area of the game. New Jersey's numbers when Fox is on/off the ice are kind of insane.

Because he's also great defensively and not strictly a point scoring machine, he will win fewer Norris Trophies, but hopefully more Stanley Cups because defense wins tough games. Hpe he has a massive, long run this Spring to wake up everyone when there are fewer teams and more fans/media watching.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
Because he's also great defensively and not strictly a point scoring machine, he will win fewer Norris Trophies, but hopefully more Stanley Cups because defense wins tough games. Hpe he has a massive, long run this Spring to wake up everyone when there are fewer teams and more fans/media watching.
Fox would need to dominate a big-market team (e.g. Boston or Toronto) or win a head-to-head matchup with Makar in order to open people's eyes. Even then, he'd likely get more credit for his production than his all-around game.

Your average fan/media member just doesn't care about three-zone play.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Fox would need to dominate a big-market team (e.g. Boston or Toronto) or win a head-to-head matchup with Makar in order to open people's eyes. Even then, he'd likely get more credit for his production than his all-around game.

Your average fan/media member just doesn't care about three-zone play.
Well he'll be a god in New York. And hopefully for him, that's enough.

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
That's my article! Hope you enjoyed it.
Only one player in NHL history recorded more assists in a team's first 2 playoff games.

Wayne Gretzky (1981 & 1987).
To even be in that conversation is absurd for a defenseman.
Couldn't agree more about Lindy. He's the soul of this team. He's probably the best thing about Rick Nash ever being a Ranger :laugh:
He does so much of the grunt work. Most folks probably don't notice it, but I'm sure Fox and his teammates do. The difference between Mikkola-Fox and Lindgren-Fox is night and day.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
That's my article! Hope you enjoyed it.

To even be in that conversation is absurd for a defenseman.

He does so much of the grunt work. Most folks probably don't notice it, but I'm sure Fox and his teammates do. The difference between Mikkola-Fox and Lindgren-Fox is night and day.
I did enjoy it. Great article!

Lingdren lets Fox play his game perfectly. We've only had to play Fox 20 minutes a game so far. At some point in the playoffs that will have to be 30+ so I'm happy we've been able to keep him fresh.

Reactions: Vinh

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

What a fantastic write up about him. He's really been dominant.

I hope he continues his play today!

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Really appreciate how much Fox's game has grown. Lot more hitting from him these playoffs. He played too timid in his own zone in the past for me but I love what I am seeing.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Really appreciate how much Fox's game has grown. Lot more hitting from him these playoffs. He played too timid in his own zone in the past for me but I love what I am seeing.
And all the after the whistle stuff where he's getting his crosschecks in and everything. He is not a nice player out there.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
And all the after the whistle stuff where he's getting his crosschecks in and everything. He is not a nice player out there.
I think it’s more the team he’s playing against. He won’t do that against WPG, or any other team that isn’t as young and inexperienced as the Devils. Nico and Jack on NJD weigh 190 lbs collectively.

Reactions: The Gloaming

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He just doesn't move his legs in the defensive zone. Smart with good hands but just wont move his legs to defend. Can't be about being tired because he does his weird "jog" early in games.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Ah yes, the notoriously defensive and hard to score in late 80's and early 90's, when Leetch had 4 of his 5 PPG seasons.

Leetch is amazing, and I agree he's the best, but Fox is a lot closer than you think.

Best Rangers comp for him isn't Leetch.
It's Zubov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad