Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Interesting article on the Athletic about USA dmen. The article isn't about Fox specifically, but he is mentioned, so I thought it would be best to post it here.

The curious cluster of elite American right-shot defensemen

In the United States, for players 12 and younger — Shannon and Cole belong to this segment — there is no delayed offside. If the puck enters the offensive zone while it remains occupied by attacking players, offside is automatic and the whistle blows. Only when players progress to the U-14 level can they tag up at the offensive blue line to keep the clock ticking.

“We’ve really pushed hard, particularly in the hockey department at USA Hockey, to maintain automatic offside,” said Grillo. “Part of that is to really push the narrative in youth hockey of puck possession and forcing our defensemen, once the puck does come back out, to control and maintain the puck in the neutral zone instead of just being able to hammer it back in and tag up like they can at the older levels.”

Just about every peewee defenseman knows how to dump in the puck. It requires a greater degree of awareness and problem-solving for a defenseman 12 and younger to process what to do with the puck when teammates are still in the offensive zone.

They have to possess the puck while the other players scramble to get out. Their partner has to think about spacing to be available for a pass.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Opinions?

I feel like maybe Fox could be higher given that he faces crazy competition, I don't know how much that's weighted in the formula.

But you'll notice something about this collection of the best defensive players in the league, if we assume the accuracy of this list: none of them are on the ice to score. The fact that Fox is anywhere near this list with 47 points is all I need to know for my Norris vote, not that I get one.

Reactions: NYR94 and TheDirtyH

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sucks that the combination of voting based on reputation and general lack of knowledge among voters will cost Fox the Norris this year. Watch Hedman win it when he had a down year for his standards and did it without the burden of playing on Tampa's big matchup pair (that's McDonagh-Cernak). Fox did it all this year.

Also lol at seeing a current Ranger in Hajek and a former Ranger in Staal in that worst defenders tweet.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I feel like maybe Fox could be higher given that he faces crazy competition, I don't know how much that's weighted in the formula.

But you'll notice something about this collection of the best defensive players in the league, if we assume the accuracy of this list: none of them are on the ice to score. The fact that Fox is anywhere near this list with 47 points is all I need to know for my Norris vote, not that I get one.
Also half the guys listed have their D partner also listed lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also half the guys listed have their D partner also listed lol
WAR does have a huge problem with teammates and this is actually one of the better ones.

The EvolvingHockey model has Makar, Girardi, and Toews 1st, 2nd, and 4th in the league or something like that.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Jeter was an elite hitter contact hitter, abysmal defensively, and very charismatic.

Derek Jeter wasn’t abysmal defensively.. The flip play, the dive into the stands coming out bloody.. Did you watch Derek Jeter play baseball?? Are you a salty Met or Sox fan?? He was far from abysmal defensively and our generation’s representative of Yankee Rushmore..

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Derek Jeter wasn’t abysmal defensively.. The flip play, the dive into the stands coming out bloody.. Did you watch Derek Jeter play baseball?? Are you a salty Met or Sox fan?? He was far from abysmal defensively and our generation’s representative of Yankee Rushmore..

Jeter was abysmal defensively. Nobody ever said he never made a good play. The dive into the stands play is the most overrated play I've ever seen though. He caught the ball in the field of play and then took about another four steps before diving into the crowd.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Jeter was abysmal defensively. Nobody ever said he never made a good play. The dive into the stands play is the most overrated play I've ever seen though. He caught the ball in the field of play and then took about another four steps before diving into the crowd.

Because he was running at full speed looking over his shoulder to catch a baseball??

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019

Also, Derek Jeter’s career fielding percentage is Top 50. That’s not abysmal..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Routine play most shortstops would make. They just generally stop, slide, or simply turn away from the stands instead of diving in.

I'll tell you what, why don't you run towards a wall at full speed, lean forward when you're two strides away from it as if you're trying to make a catch and the try to stop, slide or turn away. Then come to me when you need to rehab your ankle, knee, foot or what ever the hell you end up tearing the shit out of.

It was a split second decision for him too since he was tracking the ball. I agree with the notion that he wasn't a good defensive short stop - every single gold glove he won was a reputation award but this is a horrendous take.

Four steps my ass lol.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'll tell you what, why don't you run towards a wall at full speed, lean forward when you're two strides away from it as if you're trying to make a catch and the try to stop, slide or turn away. Then come to me when you need to rehab your ankle, knee, foot or what ever the hell you end up tearing the shit out of.

It was a split second decision for him too since he was tracking the ball. I agree with the notion that he wasn't a good defensive short stop - every single gold glove he won was a reputation award but this is a horrendous take.

Four steps my ass lol.

I am not a professional athlete. There are 30+ professional starting shortstops all of which can make this play. You just don't see it because generally they make a decision that does not involve diving into the crowd after catching a ball in fair territory.

The ball flip play was a great play. This play is nothing special.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
images

but

upload_2021-5-26_12-16-40.jpeg

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I am not a professional athlete. There are 30+ professional starting shortstops all of which can make this play. You just don't see it because generally they make a decision that does not involve diving into the crowd after catching a ball in fair territory.

The ball flip play was a great play. This play is nothing special.

No sense in arguing this any longer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad