News: Adam Fox staying at Harvard for senior year

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Getting a degree from Harvard seems like a pretty good reason.
It probably wouldn't be too hard to wrap up the last year by distance studies and/or summer school. Although, I get why he would do this as a CBA play, and the possibility he just loves college life there.

Reactions: DaveG

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Yea it looks like Calgary took Carolina to the woodshed with that trade.
Also, the fact that if they do resign Ferland his contract demands will be similar to what Lindholm got and the fact that Hamilton is a UFA in two years and well this is exactly how many figured it would go just not this extreme.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't see anyone being upset. If they manage to re-sign Ferland then it's an okay trade. But if they (most likely) lose him? Hamilton for Lindholm + Hanifin? Yikes.
Not really bad. Trading away Skinner, Lindhlom and Hanifin was done to change the mentality of the room, and it did. Rod wanted to start the season with basically a new core and team, and it worked. This year vs the past few is like night and day. Smart guy, that Rod. Fox is nice, but not necessary.

Reactions: bukwas

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
The Canucks will offer
a 2019 7th to talk to him
a 2020 2nd if he signs

We will add to that
$950,000 X 3 contract to Fox
Plus bonus's (pts/awards/games, etc.)
guaranteed in NHL or AHL
Doesn't take a Harvard Graduate
to Realize that that is a great offer.
He can come and play with Rathbone
when Rathbone signs.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Not really bad. Trading away Skinner, Lindhlom and Hanifin was done to change the mentality of the room, and it did. Rod wanted to start the season with basically a new core and team, and it worked. This year vs the past few is like night and day. Smart guy, that Rod. Fox is nice, but not necessary.
Still. Value wise it's looking pretty shit.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Dunno how to respond to this but suggest you look up how many pros go broke within. 10 years of their careers ending.education is a good thing. But I suspect you care little for the players other than on the ice

I'm not sure of the specifics but I believe if you go the CHL route that each year you play in the CHL counts towards a year of paid college or University. Its not the same as doing it concurrently but I thought it was worth a mention (I'm honestly unsure if you need to play/stay the entire 4 years of junior to take advantage of this, maybe someone smarter than me can shed light).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He was a Rangers fan growing up and as we all know everyone’s college UFA’s belong to us. Also we have a defense problem (especially at RD)

Makes too much sense unless either we don’t want him or he has another place in mind.

I could see Rangers being a front runner but he's the sort of prospect that everyone is going to be in on so definitely not a done deal.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
The Canucks will offer
a 2020 2nd if he signs

We will add to that
$950,000 X 3 contract to fox
guaranteed in NHL or AHL
to Realize that that is a great offer

is this your official offer

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I posted this in another thread but the league should consider adding the extra year to sign picks if they're in college. Hockey careers are unpredictable and can be short, let players stay in school if they choose and don't penalize a drafting team for that.
Agreed 100%. Have drafting teams hold the rights for an extra year. That way the player can still finish school if he wants without the pressure of becoming a free agent, and if they really want to pick their own team they have to wait an extra year to turn pro in North America

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Canucks fans every where wipe away shedded tears from Fabbro.
Fox won’t sign in Vancouver though.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Huge for Treliving.

That was the question mark between a slam dunk trade and an okay one. No reason to think he would have stayed with Calgary either.

Reactions: Snakepit

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It probably wouldn't be too hard to wrap up the last year by distance studies and/or summer school. Although, I get why he would do this as a CBA play, and the possibility he just loves college life there.

Must be tempting once you've done 3 years to stick it out for 1 more and decide you're future.

The Canucks will offer
a 2020 2nd if he signs

We will add to that
guaranteed in NHL or AHL
when Rathbone signs.

All ELCs have to be two-way so you can't guarantee him NHL money if he's in the AHL.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The Canucks will offer
a 2020 2nd if he signs

We will add to that
guaranteed in NHL or AHL
when Rathbone signs.
Everyone will have to give him the full ELC of $3.775M AAV ($925k base + $850k Schedule A Performance Bonus + $2M Schedule B Performance Bonus) to be in the discussion.

I don't know who will sign him but that is the contract they will sign him with.

.... and his ELC is 2 years if he signs it this year (22 years old on Sept 15th).

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I would really like to see the new set just have universal rules for contract status. You hit UFA at X age or X years played in the league. I'd also add a change where players over X age have the option to sign a 1 year ELC.

That way if a player choose to go the college route they would still be burning RFA years but the teams wouldn't be screwed over because of it and this way no matter what league you choose to play in your path would be the same.

Another option would be to have different requirements towards reaching UFA early by not signing depending on which Dev league you play in. This would allow some leagues to be a better option than others while removing the ability for the player to leave the teams hanging by being vague in their commitments which is really the issue here.

Either way, while the solution is always the hard part, I'm sure this problem will be one that teams will want to address in the coming CBA.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
All ELCs have to be two-way so you can't guarantee him NHL money if he's in the AHL.

... and there's also the little thing of his performance actually having to be good enough to meet the performance bonus minimum limits.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
When college players don’t sign with the team that has their rights and elects free agency.
B6580D01-EAB2-4256-BF1A-0F39BC2B1AAC.gif

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I would really like to see the new set just have universal rules for contract status. You hit UFA at X age or X years played in the league. I'd also add a change where players over X age have the option to sign a 1 year ELC.

That way if a player choose to go the college route they would still be burning RFA years but the teams wouldn't be screwed over because of it and this way no matter what league you choose to play in your path would be the same.

Another option would be to have different requirements towards reaching UFA early by not signing depending on which Dev league you play in. This would allow some leagues to be a better option than others while removing the ability for the player to leave the teams hanging by being vague in their commitments which is really the issue here.

Either way, while the solution is always the hard part, I'm sure this problem will be one that teams will want to address in the coming CBA.
He's a draft-related UFA. He still signs to an Entry-Level Contract with the applicable constrains, is RFA to that team at the end of it and will be actual UFA at 27 like everyone else (not having time to reach UFA by playing 7 Accrued Seasons like some kids entering the league at 18).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad