News: Adam Fox staying at Harvard for senior year

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And to go further.. one could also say that having a team's rights to a prospect expire applies to all prospects as well.

But it shouldn't! Or else the nogoodnicks like Fox are going to ruin the sanctity of the draft! Christmas is next! Who knows where it will end

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
When there's a rule I like it's "Those are the rules!!!!!!!"

When there's a rule I don't like it's "Rules can be changed"

I teach 4th grade and those are arguments my students wouldn't even make.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
But it shouldn't! Or else the nogoodnicks like Fox are going to ruin the sanctity of the draft! Christmas is next! Who knows where it will end
You gotta pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues, and you know it don't come easy!

Reactions: lindgren

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Literally every prospect drafted will have their rights expire at some point if no contract is agreed to. It isn't isolated to NCAA players
Came here to say this, literally every prospect can do what Fox is doing if they want to. Most just choose not to. He is well within his rights and it says nothing about his character to go to UFA.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a cba issue. See how important an issue this is for either side when it comes to drafted players rights and how long those rights should be valid for.

This is likely down on the list of issues to resolve.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Came here to say this, literally every prospect can do what Fox is doing if they want to. Most just choose not to. He is well within his rights and it says nothing about his character to go to UFA.

You're right that he's well within his rights to pick and choose where he wants to end up. But if you're going to take that route, you need to be upfront and honest with your intentions.

That means you tell any team that drafts or trades for you "Hey, I only want to play for the Rangers. You're welcome to try and change my mind, but that's where my head is at currently." If he had done that, no one would have held it against him.

Instead, he hemmed and hawed and downplayed the rumors about only signing with New York. By doing so, he wasted the time and resources of two separate organizations. And THAT'S the part that says something about his character.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You're right that he's well within his rights to pick and choose where he wants to end up. But if you're going to take that route, you need to be upfront and honest with your intentions.

That means you tell any team that drafts or trades for you "Hey, I only want to play for the Rangers. You're welcome to try and change my mind, but that's where my head is at currently." If he had done that, no one would have held it against him.

Instead, he hemmed and hawed and downplayed the rumors about only signing with New York. By doing so, he wasted the time and resources of two separate organizations. And THAT'S the part that says something about his character.

This is the same argument Islander fans use with Tavares... “well, he should have been honest.”

Where does that honesty get you? In a situation like Columbus was with Panarin, where it forced their hand?

No player is going to eliminate suitors, just like a business isn’t going to turn away multiple bids, despite them knowing that certain suitors aren’t matches.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Both parties, the team and the player, are right to do what is in their own self-interest. A team may really like a prospect the day they draft him. But they may deal him. If so did they waste his time and resources? Does it say something about the GMs character to say "We're thrilled this guy was available. We are very excited to have him join our organization" on draft day only to decide a year later they don't even want to offer him a contract?

I think both parties understand that circumstances change and that before they enter into a contract with each other (and even after) each side is going to do what is best for their/himself. THAT doesn't say ANYTHING about character.

Reactions: lindgren

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The draft is essentially an agreement between the teams It doesn't compel the player to do anything.
It's not a go-fight-a-war-for-your-country draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

No 18 year old that doesn’t go early in the draft has that kind of clout. No way can any kid be certain that they will develop well enough that multiple teams or their desired team will come knocking on their door when they finish their ncaa eligibility.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Literally every prospect drafted will have their rights expire at some point if no contract is agreed to. It isn't isolated to NCAA players

You could scoop the sarcasm from my post with a ladle and have some left over. I fully support Fox's right to do this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad