News: Adam Fox staying at Harvard for senior year

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
They are about to make playoffs with big contribution from Dougie and Ferland. Calm down. Fox is nice but Bean is better.
I don't see anyone being upset. If they manage to re-sign Ferland then it's an okay trade. But if they (most likely) lose him? Hamilton for Lindholm + Hanifin? Yikes.

Reactions: arun

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Next CBA should close the **** out of this loophole. Even if my Rangers have benefitted from it immensely, its clearly broken the system and been abused by many unsigned NCAA players. All that said, can't blame the kid for wanting to finish a degree at Harvard

The infamous loophole that doesn't exist, every player coming from anywhere (except Russia and Switzerland as said in other post) can wait 4 years and be free agent. He's foregoing money and won't be able to burn a year of elc signing in August.

Reactions: Mork

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Can't blame the kid.
Picking the team of your choice(most likely) to play for right off the bat is a pretty sweet deal.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Next spring a team can offer him to sign for the same year, burning a year off his ELC (Carolina or another team if his rights are traded). Like Hirose this year with Detroit. One year off of ELC for 10 games played. That's worth something, so it's not like there is no incentive for him to sign with the team that holds his rights. So, Carolina may yet to sign him, or have some sort of return in a trade for him if he doesn't want to sign with them.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't see anyone being upset. If they manage to re-sign Ferland then it's an okay trade. But if they (most likely) lose him? Hamilton for Lindholm + Hanifin? Yikes.

Goal of a trade is to make your team better. Canes were only going to spend so much money, so if they kept Hanifin, they would not have signed CDH. The D is so much better with CDH and Hamilton than it was last year with Hanifin.

I'm not sure that Lindholm would be the same player had he stayed in Carolina. Of course we'll never know, but we have 5 years worth of data on Lindholm and 3. That said, Lindholm is doing great and he is what makes this trade for Calgary. He was nowhere near that player, nor would I have expected him to be, had he stayed in Carolina, but it sucks to lose him. I always liked him and would have liked to keep him. It's good to see him break out.

Zero lost sleep over losing Hanifin though.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
He's gonna look great in Ranger Blue.
Sorry. Couldn't resist. :naughty:
Ohhh Yeah!!

Fox, Miller, Lundkvist and Skjei as a future dcore seems pretty exciting to think about.

I can see NYR being favourites but you never know

As for Carolina trading for his rights, Buffalo traded a 3rd rounder to Nashville for Vesey.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While deep down I kind of expected this, it's still a bit disappointing now that it's "official". Don't blame the kid though. He's doing what he feels is best for him within the constraints of the CBA.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I always got a sense Fox was never signing with the Flames so I wasn't upset when he was traded. Sucks about Carolina though, obviously I want my team to "win" the trade, but I don't have any animosity towards the franchise and I was happy for them when they got Svech.

It's obviously his right to choose whether to sign or not and having a Harvard degree to fall back on, no matter the major, is still nice to have.

Unless for some reason the Rangers don't want him, he's signing there the day he is a UFA.

Reactions: DaveG and viper0220

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'll never understand NHL caliber prospects going to college.
Realize that the smart guys from Harvard are all starting to dance the same dance. Go to the NHL early, spend your time riding busses all year for 85k, or play 4 years of college where you're the man, go UFA and have teams lined up to kiss your ass and get to choose the place and paycheck you want.

You're right. Tough decision.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I always got a sense Fox was never signing with the Flames so I wasn't upset when he was traded. Sucks about Carolina though, obviously I want my team to "win" the trade, but I don't have any animosity towards the franchise and I was happy for them when they got Svech.

It's obviously his right to choose whether to sign or not and having a Harvard degree to fall back on, no matter the major, is still nice to have.

Unless for some reason the Rangers don't want him, he's signing there the day he is a UFA.

Why are people convinced he's going to sign with the Rangers?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Literally any player can be a UFA 4 years post draft.

Hell a talented enough CHL player could pretty much choose their own team after 2 seasons if they wanted to

CHL player would be returned to draft if unsigned I believe but think your 4 year comment is accurate.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Why are people convinced he's going to sign with the Rangers?
He was a Rangers fan growing up and as we all know everyone’s college UFA’s belong to us. Also we have a defense problem (especially at RD)

Makes too much sense unless either we don’t want him or he has another place in mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad