News: Adam Fox staying at Harvard for senior year

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Was actually hoping he would pan out for the Hurricanes. Everyone likes to talk about the trade and how Calgary won it, but I always thought he had the most upside and that people needed to wait and see what he does. Too bad honestly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Next CBA should close the **** out of this loophole. Even if my Rangers have benefitted from it immensely, its clearly broken the system and been abused by many unsigned NCAA players. All that said, can't blame the kid for wanting to finish a degree at Harvard
Literally any player can be a UFA 4 years post draft.

Hell a talented enough CHL player could pretty much choose their own team after 2 seasons if they wanted to

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not too surprising, but it makes the summer trade look all the more worse. Hoping ferland re-signs with them for a decent price.

Reactions: gab6511

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Next CBA should close the **** out of this loophole. Even if my Rangers have benefitted from it immensely, its clearly broken the system and been abused by many unsigned NCAA players. All that said, can't blame the kid for wanting to finish a degree at Harvard
He’s passing up money to go to school. He can’t burn an elc year if he signs in August. His next contract won’t be until 22-23 season.

Reactions: CanuckCity and Mork

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I posted this in another thread but the league should consider adding the extra year to sign picks if they're in college. Hockey careers are unpredictable and can be short, let players stay in school if they choose and don't penalize a drafting team for that.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Always a risk. I thought they'd maybe move him at the deadline if they were worried about him not signing.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think he'll be that good of a player, his skating isn't good enough for a player his size. I'm thinking like a Will Butcher?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zilch. He's worthless.

Unless...
if we had permission to talk to him now,
and then traded a 7th + a conditional + for him, with the + being something contingent on Fox signing w/Rangers next year, then MAYBE a throw in.
Would depend on if Fox really wants to finish Harvard FIRST, or if he can start NHL w/NYR asap, and do Harvard the expensive way with a lot of 1:1 tutors in NY minimizing need for class time in Boston.

The other way, like I said in a previous post, is that there is a big deal now for like Zib, and in that equation, Fox is a smaller sweetener.

I would actually like to move the expiring Namest. and give mo mins to other Fs.

Namest. + Pionk + conditional Rangers 2020 3rd
for
McKeown + rights to Fox

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
With concerns over his signing, he didn't have much trade value at the deadline either. No team would give up much for him if they also had concerns about him signing him. And teams (ie..Rangers) that he might go to wouldn't give up much for him since the odds are he might go there anyhow.

Reactions: DaveG

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The rule is fine. CHL players rights are only held for 2 years. Europeans (outside of Russia and Switzerland, where there is no transfer agreement), only have there rights held for 4 years. Just because you draft a kid, doesn't mean you get his rights indefinitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad