News: Adam Fox staying at Harvard for senior year

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yes, but the Canes will never get the value they deserve for him at this stage. Fox has his mind set and lets say the Habs trade for him... what's stopping Fox from not signing with the Habs? Fox has all the leverage here and what has he done to earn this free agent status?

What is so wrong with this?
1) All players enter the NHL through the draft
2) The player decides what draft year they want to declare eligibility into the NHL draft
3) If the player is not drafted, they are a free agent. Too bad for the teams that didn't take a chance on the player that ended up becoming very good. That player is a free agent and can choose any team they want.
4) If the player is drafted, the team that drafts them owns their NHL rights.
5) The team can negotiate a contract (if possible) at whatever stage. However, if the player is not offered a contract and wants to turn pro, the team is forced into offering a contract or not. If they decide not to offer a contract, the player becomes a free agent. If the team offers a contract and there is a contract dispute in the ELC and bonus structure, the player has the option to have a arbitrator involved. This protects the player and GM's trying to force low ball offers.
1. Many players are undrafted long after their draft eligibility expires. Some of them later join the NHL, perhaps after a few years in European leagues, college, junior or the KHL, and NHL teams should still be able to sign those free-agent players.

2. See point #1. This should still apply even if a player has not decared eligibility and his draft eligibility has expired. Otherwise, the player could never play in the NHL.

3. This is already the case for junior players, college players and professional players who were not drafted within their draft eligibility.

4. For how long? There are already rules on this. You just don't like the rules because they aren't working in your favour today.

5. Most drafted players never make it to the NHL. Even among those who sign an ELC, very few play enough games in the NHL to gain arbitration rights. Would you really want to have a salary arbitration process for players who might never make it to the NHL, or who might only play less than 100 NHL games?

I understand that you're upset with a possible outcome that might not go your way, but really you're showing very little understanding of the big picture and your "solution" would create more problems than it solves.

Furthermore, there is no incentive for any player to ever opt-in to a draft system. A player like McDavid, for example, (and the same holds true for every other player) could simply choose to not opt-in, wait for his draft eligibility to expire, and then sign as a free agent with his choice of the teams that might offer him a contract. In the case of McDavid, that would be every team. For a player who would have been a second-round draft pick, fewer teams; and for a player who would have been a sixth- or seventh-round, perhaps none. At any rate, it would destroy the entire entry draft system and would create a much freer market it (but still not a totally free market) for undrafted players.

The NBA allows a player to opt-in to early draft eligibility. All other players are automatically eligible for the NBA draft at the usual age. As with the NHL and the NFL, the draft pool consists of all undrafted players according to age and there is no possibility of a player avoiding or escaping draft eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Blues traded Shattenkirk because they have Pie and Parayko. Not a great fit. I think edmonton needs an offensive RHD, but didnt Shattenkirk nix trades to canadian teams?

Shatt used to produce good numbers there, they might want him back with Meester becoming UFA after this season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am not giving up a first, unless it's one of our conditional first that we feel might not happen... Until Fox comes out and says he wants to play for the NYR, weather next year, or after college, I'm not parting with an asset that valuable. There's still a risk we trade for his rights and he doesn't even play for us. I understand the Canes rather not "gift" us anything, although I don't think a 2nd is really a gift, but from a rebuilding team, all our assets are too important for us to risk.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think a fair trade would be a conditional trade based on Fox signing then traded. From everything that has been reported, it looks like he would much rather play now and next year in the NHL, but the Canes are just not a good path for that due to the roster and their playoff position at this time. So if he were to see we have a deal in place to move him to the Rangers, he'd probably jump on that. Maybe something like a signed Fox for Tampa's conditional 1st this year, and if that Tampa doesn't win, then the Rangers 2nd this year and a 4th next year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I am not giving up a first, unless it's one of our conditional first that we feel might not happen... Until Fox comes out and says he wants to play for the NYR, weather next year, or after college, I'm not parting with an asset that valuable. There's still a risk we trade for his rights and he doesn't even play for us. I understand the Canes rather not "gift" us anything, although I don't think a 2nd is really a gift, but from a rebuilding team, all our assets are too important for us to risk.
If all you had to pay was a second I think you’d recover....

He’s already developed better than most second round picks, and you get him a few years into that development and possibly ready to play now.

If all you had to pay was a second you should run with it. I suspect if the canes were willing to take a second right now the deal might already be done. It may still be all you pay in the end. Value with this is difficult to rate, but he should be obviously worth something decent. He’s a pretty high end prospect turning pro.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think a fair trade would be a conditional trade based on Fox signing then traded. From everything that has been reported, it looks like he would much rather play now and next year in the NHL, but the Canes are just not a good path for that due to the roster and their playoff position at this time. So if he were to see we have a deal in place to move him to the Rangers, he'd probably jump on that. Maybe something like a signed Fox for Tampa's conditional 1st this year, and if that Tampa doesn't win, then the Rangers 2nd this year and a 4th next year.

Haha why would Fox agree to that? Deals fall thru all the time. Theres a chance Carolina just screws him after all of this if he signs, tosses him in the AHL and waits out for the best deal they can get. That would be very dumb on Fox’s part.

Id be surprised if he went for anything more than a 3rd in a trade. Thats what Vesey went for when his rights were traded to Buffalo. Your crazy if you think the Rangers are going to throw a 1st at Carolina for a player they will probably get for free next year anyways

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Id be surprised if he went for anything more than a 3rd in a trade. Thats what Vesey went for when his rights were traded to Buffalo. Your crazy if you think the Rangers are going to throw a 1st at Carolina for a player they will probably get for free next year anyways
Buffalo bought about three months of Exclusive Negotiation time right before Vesey became Free Agent. They were very unlikely to get him to sign, but felt like taking a longshot. Not in any way comparable to Fox situation.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Haha why would Fox agree to that? Deals fall thru all the time. Theres a chance Carolina just screws him after all of this if he signs, tosses him in the AHL and waits out for the best deal they can get. That would be very dumb on Fox’s part.

Fox seems more dead-set on playing in the NHL next year than he is dead-set on playing for the Rangers. I think his list is probably limited, but it wouldn't shock me to see him dealt to the Islanders or Boston if the Rangers won't meet the cost for him to play in the NHL next year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fox seems more dead-set on playing in the NHL next year than he is dead-set on playing for the Rangers. I think his list is probably limited, but it wouldn't shock me to see him dealt to the Islanders or Boston if the Rangers won't meet the cost for him to play in the NHL next year.

You hope so.

Those teams have to pony up too btw.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why do 99% of the prospects that are drafted and offered a contract go through the ELC and RFA rules with the teams that draft them. And we are ok with the 1% loophole of those prospects who don't like the team that drafts them and wants to play for whatever team they want? This makes no sense. Close this door now before a blue chip prospect does this to your team

Once again, if a blue chip prospect is willing to do this to your team and take the massive hit to their career earnings, that's their choice, and the team has no one to blame but them selves for being that unnatractive

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

It's certainly not in NYR's interest to have Canes sign him, let him burn the first year off his ELC now and then get him in a trade. They'd much rather have him for a full 3 years of ELC.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Can someone clarify..... is he planning to finish harvard regardless?

Or is he willing to sign now if he can play next season?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Buffalo bought about three months of Exclusive Negotiation time right before Vesey became Free Agent. They were very unlikely to get him to sign, but felt like taking a longshot. Not in any way comparable to Fox situation.

Nobody knew where Vesey was going. Buffalo had just as good of a shot as the Rangers at that point. It wasn't a longshot at all.

I don't think he is dead set on the Rangers either. I think its just assumed because it seems like every top end college free agent ends up there. Wouldn't shock me to see Boston or NYI involved either. But as a Rangers fan I would be rattled if they gave up anything more than a 3rd for him

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Can someone clarify..... is he planning to finish harvard regardless?

Or is he willing to sign now if he can play next season?
Nobody knows. That's why it's risky. Insiders believe he wants to play in the NHL, and with the Rangers, or a select few teams, and college is a fall back option, but Fox hasn't given details

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Nobody knew where Vesey was going. Buffalo had just as good of a shot as the Rangers at that point. It wasn't a longshot at all.

Vesey had already turned down NSH offering max ELC with first year immediately burned upon signing. It's obvious he had a list of favorites that could sign him, and in those speculations it was felt that BUF was too far away from the Atlantic Ocean. I think BOS was thought a front-runner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad