Player Discussion Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would suspect all of Bereglazov, Graves and Pionk will be pushing for jobs at training camp. I also expect the Rangers to try and keep Brendan Smith. Which is to say I see a changeover coming but I don't think Clendening is going to be part of it.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Who's to say how good he could have been this season had AV actually had half a brain. Played well for the most part in the amount of games he did start, and was a fit in this system.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would suspect all of Bereglazov, Graves and Pionk will be pushing for jobs at training camp. I also expect the Rangers to try and keep Brendan Smith. Which is to say I see a changeover coming but I don't think Clendening is going to be part of it.

Don't forget Paliotta.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Paliotta and Graves won't push for regular spots. For the 7th D spot, sure.

Bereglazov and Pionk will push for regular spots.

Clendening...not sure.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think more D spots will be open next season for sure - very excited to see who have progressed well over the summer.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
From what i heard Clendenning will never skate as a Ranger again. Ever. Doubt he will even get qualified then to be traded. Likely Europe bound

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
From what i heard Clendenning will never skate as a Ranger again. Ever. Doubt he will even get qualified then to be traded. Likely Europe bound

He crossed the Vangulies, and used too much force against a teammate in practice. CAREER OVER. Should have learned from the Tanny.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Shame too because he was very good in a 3rd pairing role. I hope he finds success elsewhere.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Shame too because he was very good in a 3rd pairing role. I hope he finds success elsewhere.

With the addition of LVGK, I find it very hard to believe there won't be an NHL job available for Clendening. He could certainly go to Europe somewhere for a bigger role, but, there are teams that are a little bit more analytically savvy than NYR that realize how good of a 6/7D Clendening is.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
clendo is a microcosm of what is wrong with AV.

hes a decent offensive man who, if put in the proper role, would have had an impact on this team. pp wise, he was solid and he could move the puck. a good coach would understand that.

in AV's world, you use 27 on the pp point and sit clendo so you can play the doofus twins. you over use 27 and burn him out, play the other 2 clowns too much to the detriment of the team, and ignore a guy who could have helped.

i mean it got so bad that even clendo himself said- (and it cost him his nyr career), "seriously, you call me out when you roll laurel and hardy out there every night" ????

AV gonna AV

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With the addition of LVGK, I find it very hard to believe there won't be an NHL job available for Clendening. He could certainly go to Europe somewhere for a bigger role, but, there are teams that are a little bit more analytically savvy than NYR that realize how good of a 6/7D Clendening is.

Going to Europe isn't the end all be all it appeared it used to be, as we're seeing now.

It could be very good for him to get top 4 minutes in a league better than the AHL (KHL, SHL) and develop his game and move over with a coach that gets hired from there or come back as a 26-27 YO player who has matured.

If it doesn't work, he'd be getting paid good money in Europe to be a pro hockey player in one of the better leagues. Would probably make more than 600k there.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I don't see why we can't give him another shot being that we should be moving on from 4 defensemen this offseason (Girardi, Staal, Holden, Klein). He's familiar with the system and can be a good 3rd pairing guy for cheap if Pionk, Beargloves, Paliota, or whomever else they find doesn't pan out. We already definitely know Clendening can play a 3rd pairing role in the NHL.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't see why we can't give him another shot being that we should be moving on from 4 defensemen this offseason (Girardi, Staal, Holden, Klein). He's familiar with the system and can be a good 3rd pairing guy for cheap if Pionk, Beargloves, Paliota, or whomever else they find doesn't pan out. We already definitely know Clendening can play a 3rd pairing role in the NHL.

At the end of the year, he was the 9th d-man on the depth-chart. Not a huge vote of confidence from the coaching staff. And I can't imagine Clendening felt really good about that, either. Couple that with his last post-game presser as an NYR when he was unceremoniously ripped from the lineup, and I'd say he's as done with NYR as AV is with him.

I'd say it's likely the NYR don't qualify him and allow him to become a UFA.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's a shame that he never got the chance to play regularly.

I think he was alot better than the prevailing narrative defensively, and he was really good in the offensive zone and in transition.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

I think he was alot better than the prevailing narrative defensively, and he was really good in the offensive zone and in transition.

Agreed. I still don't think he got a fair chance to showcase himself. He definitely had some promise for the role he was suited for.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

You could do a lot worse for your 6D, PP2QB than Adam Clendening. I mean, the Rangers sure as **** did with Staal/Holden.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Skjei-Clendo was a great pairing, I loved watching them play.

Really is a shame that AV is so caught up in "good defensive hockey" that he is just getting to understand that "new NHL defenseman" (in his own words... this isn't new to anyone watching this sport for almost 14 years), and that's posing a problem because his bias of old hockey is getting in the way of what can be useful assets

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I liked Clendo. I liked that he showed some snarl and I wanted him to play a lot more based on our RH dmen.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
4 games played, 15 minutes average ice time, 1 assist on a 0-10-1 team, can't stay in the line up. Just Incase people wanted an update.

Reactions: nyrleetch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad