Player Discussion Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
he makes too many mistakes for me to like him but then again so does every other defenseman we have maybe if he played a little more frequently he could get a decent rhythm he just might of klein stays out long term

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
he makes too many mistakes for me to like him but then again so does every other defenseman we have maybe if he played a little more frequently he could get a decent rhythm he just might of klein stays out long term

Puck moving defensemen take risks. Most of the time they pay off in clean zone exits and puck possession. Occasionally things backfire and they look really bad. We come out ahead on the whole though.

On the other hand, guys like Girardi/Staal/Klein etc continuously throw the puck up the boards. It looks safe. Most of the time you forget about it as soon as they do it. But it's also a turnover almost every time they do it and the puck winds up back in our D zone.

Clendening's style is a lot more effective, but it looks really, really bad when things go wrong. That's the crux of the issue. It's like defenders in baseball. Errors aren't nearly as important as range. I'll take the guy who can get to almost anything, but boots grounders every so often over the guy who always makes plays but only within a limited area.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Puck moving defensemen take risks. Most of the time they pay off in clean zone exits and puck possession. Occasionally things backfire and they look really bad. We come out ahead on the whole though.

On the other hand, guys like Girardi/Staal/Klein etc continuously throw the puck up the boards. It looks safe. Most of the time you forget about it as soon as they do it. But it's also a turnover almost every time they do it and the puck winds up back in our D zone.

Clendening's style is a lot more effective, but it looks really, really bad when things go wrong. That's the crux of the issue. It's like defenders in baseball. Errors aren't nearly as important as range. I'll take the guy who can get to almost anything, but boots grounders every so often over the guy who always makes plays but only within a limited area.

It's not the mistakes with the puck that are the issue with Clendening, it's the mistakes without the puck. I'm fine with turnovers from a high risk player, provided there are good rewards there too. It's the positioning errors, bad reads, etc in the defensive zone that are a bigger issue. You see those far less often with some of the other guys on the team. You almost never see a guy like Klein make a bad read. Everyone is more prone to positioning errors than they might be in a different defensive scheme.

That being said, Clendening has improved in those areas since the beginning of the season. He's in the serviceable range, not quite the good range yet.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
How does Clendening fare against higher quality competition? I like his game a lot, I'd love to see Skjei-Clen become a regular thing, but he does seem to be heavily protected with his zone starts and last chart I saw (forget where) seemed to indicate that he draws pretty easy assignments, which is to be expected.

He's only 24, I'd love for this to turn into a situation where we hit on a hidden gem that didn't really get a fair shake elsewhere. For me, Clendening also passes the eye test, big time.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
yeah he definitely should be given a chance on this team going forward. He looks really good with Skjei. whether they get sheltered minutes or not they could be a terrific third pairing and a very competent 2nd pairing going forward. and talk about a cost controlled pairing but then again we need that now that we have staal and G making a lot of money and not contributing much anymore.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I like what Clendo has been doing and am an advocate for him playing 3rd pair and playing the PP. But I'd be hesitant to give him too much responsibility. He can be beat around the outside against faster wingers, and certainly out-muscled along the boards. Leaving him to defend against less talented 3rd and 4th liners is the way to go. If we were to give him tougher assignments, he'd need a strong stay-at-home partner....and I'd still be worried.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I like what Clendo has been doing and am an advocate for him playing 3rd pair and playing the PP. But I'd be hesitant to give him too much responsibility. He can be beat around the outside against faster wingers, and certainly out-muscled along the boards. Leaving him to defend against less talented 3rd and 4th liners is the way to go. If we were to give him tougher assignments, he'd need a strong stay-at-home partner....and I'd still be worried.

I have to be honest I have not seen this at all from Clendo. I've seen some rushing decisions and making passes that aren't there, but I've seen him use his lower body strength to win lots of puck battles, similar to how Fast does it. He tends to keep the puck away from the boards though, which is the right thing to do.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
How does Clendening fare against higher quality competition? I like his game a lot, I'd love to see Skjei-Clen become a regular thing, but he does seem to be heavily protected with his zone starts and last chart I saw (forget where) seemed to indicate that he draws pretty easy assignments, which is to be expected.

He's only 24, I'd love for this to turn into a situation where we hit on a hidden gem that didn't really get a fair shake elsewhere. For me, Clendening also passes the eye test, big time.

Only thing you can really draw from controlled zone starts (because most of them aren't) and competition is how a coach uses his player imo. Competition (in terms of corsi, at least) has proven to be relatively worthless when trying to contextualize performance, where teammates has proven to be a much more significant driver. You can take from it that AV doesn't trust Clendo, which is fine, but I think it's fair to say that it might not be a reflection of his actual ability. I'm not calling him a top 4 D, but I think he leans towards top 4 more than a #6.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Im happy with Clendo. He makes mistakes but he is also aggressive, hustles, and hasn't backed down. He isn't as great as some fans hoped in the preseason but Id be fine with him as our 3rd pairing right side dman next season. Right now he is our best RH dman but thats just because our other 2 have declined a lot. I think Clendo is also playing as well or better than Staal/Holden in the last few weeks. Overall he is probably our 4th best Dman right now.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Im happy with Clendo. He makes mistakes but he is also aggressive, hustles, and hasn't backed down. He isn't as great as some fans hoped in the preseason but Id be fine with him as our 3rd pairing right side dman next season. Right now he is our best RH dman but thats just because our other 2 have declined a lot. I think Clendo is also playing as well or better than Staal/Holden in the last few weeks. Overall he is probably our 4th best Dman right now.

Pretty much this!
I agree as well he definitely hasn't backed down and he plays with some emotion which shows he's trying his best to stay in this lineup. Him and skjei both made mistakes last game but they hustled to make up for it on many occasions and their foot speed allows them to do that where at this point G and Staal just can't .

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Only thing you can really draw from controlled zone starts (because most of them aren't) and competition is how a coach uses his player imo. Competition (in terms of corsi, at least) has proven to be relatively worthless when trying to contextualize performance, where teammates has proven to be a much more significant driver. You can take from it that AV doesn't trust Clendo, which is fine, but I think it's fair to say that it might not be a reflection of his actual ability. I'm not calling him a top 4 D, but I think he leans towards top 4 more than a #6.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification.

Once again Clendo really passes the eye test for me, it's hard for me to understand why every team has given up on him, though admittedly I didn't watch him much when he was with Pens/Hawks/Whoever. Perhaps we just happened to acquire him at a time when he finally got his act together, or we're just a good fit.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification.

Once again Clendo really passes the eye test for me, it's hard for me to understand why every team has given up on him, though admittedly I didn't watch him much when he was with Pens/Hawks/Whoever. Perhaps we just happened to acquire him at a time when he finally got his act together, or we're just a good fit.
I think he's probably the same, but those teams didn't view him like you and I might. Even here he only plays when absolutely necessary.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He also seens like a good guy.. Stepan plays with him by calling him Luke and Steve. Adam just rolls with the jokes.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hate giving Brooksie clicks, but...

http://nypost.com/2017/03/06/rangers-put-adam-clendening-in-his-place-and-hes-not-happy/

“I’m a little bit surprised, for sure,†Clendening said after the morning skate in which he, Matt Puempel, Michael Grabner, Antti Raanta and Henrik Lundqvist participated. “Just when I thought I was getting my chance and looking to take advantage of my opportunity because of the couple of injuries — that you never want to see, but happen — I had the game Saturday where I think the stat line looked worse than it actually was.

“There was a bad bounce on the first, [partner] Brady [Skjei] was battling the flu, it kind of snowballed and I see a dash-three next to my name. so I’m a pretty easy target,†he said. “I hope it’s not a permanent thing, but more of a wakeup call. It’s pretty clear it’s a wakeup call for thewhole team.â€

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
AV just doesn't care for Clendening . Obvious he's low on the depth chart when Girardi and Klein are healthy

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
i don't like him as much as others but no ****ing way Clendening gets scratched over Kampfer thats ridiculous

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think Clendo just buried himself.

What else should he have said? He's clearly been the 3rd best D on the team by LIGHTYEARS since he's gotten in consistently and this god damn buffoon behind the bench still scratches him any chance he gets, for AN AHL LIFER. For NO REASON. It's ****ing ridiculous.

(this is not directed at you)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Getting scratched for Kampfer while Girardi and Klein are still hurt is the ultimate FU from AV.

He's done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad