Speculation: Acquiring Jesse Puljujarvi

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
If we could unload Perreault... Sure.

If not? I dont see a need. Hes 3rd or 4th line winger here.

There’s no way they’d accept a Perreault salary dump but if they would that would be fantastic. He could be a Tanev replacement but the price to acquire would be too steep.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think the stats back up your views on both Laine and Ehlers being "more lethal on their off wing."

If you take the 3 year average from IcyData, Laine scores 17% of goals from the Left Circle in the offensive zone and 19% from the Right Circle. His best goal scoring year was 2017-18. He scored 17% of his goals from the Left Circle and 20% from the Right Circle. This last year was even more marked with 16% of his goals from the Left Circle and 34% from the Right Circle. Laine's scoring in the slot and crease is well below the league average. The bottom line is that he scores from the circles at much higher percentage than the league average. Your comment also fails to appreciate that Laine's scoring from the Left Circle is inflated by the PWP as Wheeler sets up on the right side, forcing Laine to shoot from the Left Circle. Ironically, the Jets PWP might be stronger if the player combination allowed Laine to set up on the Right Circle. That may not be possible given the other players in fairness. For example, Scheifele is a right shot so if he is in the slot, it is easier to one time if the pass is coming from the right circle.

Not sure what your source of Laine prefers the LW comes from, but it is not hockey metrics. The numbers don't lie, he is more lethal if he is in the Right Circle in the offensive zone (i.e. playing RW).

I don't see the relevance of Tanev, JP is not a checker, we are talking about first or second line scoring wingers.

Ehlers is a bit of an interesting comment. He actually scores the same from both circles in the offensive zone at 13%. His most notable attribute is the very high percentage of goals in the middle. He scores a whopping 48% in the slot and another 17% in the crease. I do agree with you that Ehlers is a completely different sort of player given his skating, but the thread is about the Jets acquiring JP. With two good RWs (Wheeler and Laine), I don't know why the Jets would take JP on. To put him on the 3rd or 4th line is the same mistake as Edmonton made. The Jets don't have the quality of centres that Edmonton does. There are better ways to spend $ on the Jets than a JP rescue.

Anyway, the Jets will not be acquiring JP as they do not have the cap space or the time for this experiment. This entire thread is much to do about nothing (i.e. much like a Seinfeld episode).

I truly do appreciate all the work you've accumulated here.

Unfortunately it doesn't mean that Laine or Ehlers is more lethal from their string side, only that the majority of their goals have come from their string sides... This is clearly because they shoot far more from those areas which is a systems situation. Maurice plays Ehlers down the LW, he shoots and scores more from the LW. Laine plays down the RW he shoots and scores more from the RW.

Would they be better if they played their off wing? If the numbers are as close as they are, it actually points to the fact that they may be more lethal on their off wing. (Less opportunity on their offside, yet similar percentage of their total goals scored)

Reactions: Board Bard

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I mentioned expansion draft in the trade rumours thread. It’s relevant for Pool Party too. He’s eligible for expansion draft so would have to be protected or exposed. Protecting him means exposing one of Copp/Lowry/Roslovic.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If the Oilers had received an acceptable ( in their minds ) offer for this player, he would have been traded already. They are willing to let him fester until someone overpays.

Reactions: Afterburner

Cato

Apr 22, 2019
I truly do appreciate all the work you've accumulated here.

Unfortunately it doesn't mean that Laine or Ehlers is more lethal from their string side, only that the majority of their goals have come from their string sides... This is clearly because they shoot far more from those areas which is a systems situation. Maurice plays Ehlers down the LW, he shoots and scores more from the LW. Laine plays down the RW he shoots and scores more from the RW.

Would they be better if they played their off wing? If the numbers are as close as they are, it actually points to the fact that they may be more lethal on their off wing. (Less opportunity on their offside, yet similar percentage of their total goals scored)

Sorry, have to disagree somewhat with how you describe Laine. In 2016 his shot numbers on the right side were double on the left but the % of his goals were much closer between the two. So far no disagreement with you. Things changed significantly in 2017 onward. The difference in shot distribution between the two circles was only 3% different (16% on left vs 19% on right) so to were the goals scored (17% on the left and 20% on the right). He is not "clearly" shooting more from the right side. This trend continued in 2018. He had the exact same percentage of shots from both sides (21%) but his goal differential now is clearly titled to scoring from the right side (34% vs 16% on the left).

The bottom line is that I don't think it is accurate to say that Laine scores more from the right because he shoots more from the right. That is not the case as of late. The reverse is true since his rookie season, he shoots about the same from both sides but is scoring more often from the right. Given the fact that his goals from the left are skewed by the PWP positioning on the left he is statistically a more deadly sniper on the right side of the ice.

I'm not sure it makes any sense to take a player away from their strengths when you don't have to. I'm not sure what your definition of lethal is but mine is putting a player in the position where they are most likely to contribute. For Laine that is the right side. I'm not sure what the relevance of Ehlers playing RW is to the thread topic (the Jets acquiring JP).

Again, the point being made in this thread is whether the Jets should acquire a slumping RW for their top 2 lines based on maybe a change of scenery may spark a top 2 line RW. The answer is pretty simple, no way. It makes no sense for the Jets because they have Wheeler and Laine.

Reactions: HPsauce

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Just wondering, why are we so hung up on a malcontent who has consistently proven he sucks in the NHL, if the guy wasn’t a Finn and in the same draft class as Laine no one would give two sheets about him, maybe we can get Ladd back and pick up Phaneuf while we’re at it, both now suck but that shouldn’t stop us from pursuing them as well right!?!?

Last edited:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Just wondering, why are we so hung up on a malcontent who has consistently proven he sucks in the NHL, if the guy wasn’t a Finn and in the same draft class as Laine no one would give two sheets about him, maybe we can get Ladd back and pick up Phaneuf while we’re at it, both now suck but that shouldn’t stop us from pursuing them as well right!?!?
He was a damn good prospect not long ago. People's memories are short but they aren't that short.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I'm not sure it makes any sense to take a player away from their strengths when you don't have to. I'm not sure what your definition of lethal is but mine is putting a player in the position where they are most likely to contribute. For Laine that is the right side. I'm not sure what the relevance of Ehlers playing RW is to the thread topic (the Jets acquiring JP).

Again, the point being made in this thread is whether the Jets should acquire a slumping RW for their top 2 lines based on maybe a change of scenery may spark a top 2 line RW. The answer is pretty simple, no way. It makes no sense for the Jets because they have Wheeler and Laine.
Hi, here's some visuals:

hmosbSn.png
x03ehkP.png

First one is all goals, saves, and misses, second is only goals. Both are at even strength. Laine kinda shoots and scores from everywhere - maybe he veers off a bit to the right but he's gotten the majority of his even strength goals in the middle/slot. Ehlers veers off to the left but he gets closer to the crease then Laine does.

In other words, good goal scores naturally gravitate towards to the middle of the ice as that's where their shot is the most lethal should they be unchecked. How they are put on wings is more a systems thing and how they protect the puck in zone entries and exits, IMO - but I imagine it gets way more complicated than that and we're oversimplifying matters.

Anyways - Puljujarvi. The only way I see it happening is if Winnipeg takes some cap back, which is likely Brandon Manning. Perreault + McKenzie/Lipon + 3rd for Puljujarvi + Manning (bury in minors) seems pretty even to me? Perreault is an instant upgrade on all of EDM's current wingers (not looking at their prospects that may be primed to make the jump, also not Draisaitl) and I'm just guessing on a prospect that the Jets would send over (but I'm imagining Holland would like some slightly promising RFA back that might be able to slot in lineup), and Puljujarvi would be a reclamation project of sorts that fills in comfortably on Lowry's or Copp's wing as a 3rd or 4th line that could slide up in the case of injury. Of course, problem then becomes who does Seattle take for Winnipeg should he indeed perform well in a different jersey - though that's already a problem now, to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Pulju's raw talent and upside hasn't disappeared, but it doesn't look at all sure it will ever manifest. Still, I somewhat followed him in Edmonton, especially first 2 years and his usage made no sense at all. Like he got about zero PP time despite the team sorely lacking shooters and Puljujärvi actually can shoot the puck pretty well. Also the coach seemed to love to demote him down the lineup for smallest of reasons or sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I dunno what it was/is, but things never seemed to go right in EDM. Pulju probably has his share of blame though and I'm not sure about his agent, any Finns know this guy?

For the right price, it would be a no-brainer to give it a shot IMO, he could still become a legit 1st line winger. I don't think the Jets are a right fit though, in a team like Carolina or something, he would have a far higher chance of making it to the top-6 and get good PP time etc... he could be very usable in a bottom-6 role, but I don't think he's ready for the adjustment that would need from him.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad