Speculation: Acquiring Jesse Puljujarvi

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have a hard time thinking JP gets through waivers to get to the Moose. Teams might not be lining up to spend a lot to get him, but crappy teams at the top of the waiver order would surely take him for free.

No he could be signed as a RFA with the Jets for one year.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I'd love to see Jesse get a chance in the Peg. Especially if neither Tanev or Lindholm are re-signed. Not sure what Edmonton would expect in return. They may play it cool and try to salvage something.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Not too confident in his ability (he might be ok for that but his motivation for training and partying i don't like) last off season he was pictured in Finnish media drinking beer with ladies in different festivals, way too often for my liking.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not too confident in his ability (he might be ok for that but his motivation for training and partying i don't like) last off season he was pictured in Finnish media drinking beer with ladies in different festivals, way too often for my liking.

Goodness gracious. Did any of these hussies lure him into a sauna of ill repute? :eek:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Call me crazy but I’d also take a chance on him if Perreault can be moved. 4M is just too much for the fourth line. The few times I’ve seen Puljujärvi play he’s looked good and if he pans out it’d be an absolute steal, and cheap as his first years in the league have been so bad.

I really have to agree with this post, and the few times I've seen Pulju play, he looked great. He's a great skater, with good size. I think he lacks some confidence, but put him on a team or a line, and he could become a big star in the NHL. He was rated right up there in the top 6 overall in the draft, not to long ago. We have a lot of Finns with the Jets so he'll feel right at home --that's important for a young guy, that doesn't know the language that well.

We don't have much to lose here -- he's not going to return big value, as he hasn't performed -- but let's pick this guy up. If we can somehow unload Perrault's contract at the same time, let's do it.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

I really have to agree with this post, and the few times I've seen Pulju play, he looked great. He's a great skater, with good size. I think he lacks some confidence, but put him on a team or a line, and he could become a big star in the NHL. He was rated right up there in the top 6 overall in the draft, not to long ago. We have a lot of Finns with the Jets so he'll feel right at home --that's important for a young guy, that doesn't know the language that well.

We don't have much to lose here -- he's not going to return big value, as he hasn't performed -- but let's pick this guy up. If we can somehow unload Perrault's contract at the same time, let's do it.

GNP - this is one of your best posts IMHO. You may be right on the money with this assessment - sometimes a younger player needs - what? A sense of home or familiarity? Lets call them "intangibles" for the purpose of discussion - to reach baseline potential. Edmonton seems to be particularly bad at providing this. For these reasons I agree with you on this one. I think Pulju would be an extremely interesting experiment....with huge upside if it all works out. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and Snot Rocket

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Puljujarvi is like that standout kid in a Timbits game. Lots of skill with open ice but little sense or vision for whats going on around him. The game changes at every level and he hasn't kept up. He would be a good project to take on assuming he is coachable.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Even if the price is right will the current coach put him in a position to succeed? Past history would say no. He’d be stuck on a fourth line playing 6-9 minutes a night.

Apparently he has decent defensive numbers. If Maurice recognizes that, he might feel Poolie is a Tanev replacement and worthy of 2nd-line minutes. That's probably more reason not to acquire him.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Goodness gracious. Did any of these hussies lure him into a sauna of ill repute? :eek:

Funny, but there is no sauna with ill reputation in Finland. In Germany maybe some "saunas" might be more like brothels, but for us Finns sauna has no such sexual meaning and thus prostitutes operate from hotel rooms or homes (I guess, never tried I swear).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Funny, but there is no sauna with ill reputation in Finland. In Germany maybe some "saunas" might be more like brothels, but for us Finns sauna has no such sexual meaning and thus prostitutes operate from hotel rooms or homes (I guess, never tried I swear).

It was 100% a joke. I mean, who wants to get hot and sweaty when you're already hot and sweaty? But, you know you're going to have to answer to @GJF now for your slur against German saunas. :laugh:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Historically, "sauna clubs" have an adults only image in Germany. It is quite commonly a half brothel half sauna/pool chill out establishment. But you can go with your wife as well and have some good ol swinging time. They are rather rare, though. And their image is not really good in eye of the public opinion. He's right.

If you go to a spa or fitness center, sauna is 100% like it normally is in every other country.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Apparently he has decent defensive numbers. If Maurice recognizes that, he might feel Poolie is a Tanev replacement and worthy of 2nd-line minutes. That's probably more reason not to acquire him.
I like that! Tanev is likely getting a big raise. I’d rather see another team give it to him. I’m fairly confident the Poolie could outscore Tanev if Maurice gave him Tanev’s13-15 minutes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed

Not sure if we should be doubling down on more Finn’s.......Laine is already a concern. The guy better get his back handled & train hard this summer......not just ice cream & vid games
Laine has really been an enigma and not the normal experience from Finnish players. Not only previous Jets, but around the league as well. Think about what you get from a Finnish player and sulky headcases aren't really common.

I think it's the Jets telling Patrik that they are committed to keeping him and making his experience here as positive as possible. I also think it's drafting BPA according to our scouting.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Historically, "sauna clubs" have an adults only image in Germany. It is quite commonly a half brothel half sauna/pool chill out establishment. But you can go with your wife as well and have some good ol swinging time. They are rather rare, though. And their image is not really good in eye of the public opinion. He's right.

If you go to a spa or fitness center, sauna is 100% like it normally is in every other country.

I have visited many very nice German saunas (not those "sauna clubs"), and enjoyed my time even though in many of those you were not allowed to throw water on stove by yourself and most were mixed "textilfrei" saunas -- something I really haven't experienced in Finland, but somehow it did feel natural & relaxed and not like some peeping Tom even though I have zero nudist experience / interest.

I am afraid I went bit too much off topic here, if saunas can be never off topic regarding Finnish skaters...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I doubt this makes a difference at all in his play ? Players in the old days, like the stars of the game used to smoke in the locker rooms between periods. Guys like Mario Lemieux, Hawerchuk, and Guy La Fleur were all smokers, so I was told. I'm sure these guys did their share of drinking, when they were not close to game days. Also I'm sure these young single guys chased the women--their only human.

Maybe it's a bit stricter today, but you gotta expect these guys to unwind a bit, and have fun on their time off, as long as they don't get carried away.

I'd hope Puljujarvi is no different than a lopt of these guys. I think he'd be fine.

Cato

Apr 22, 2019
No I mean Laine prefers LW.

Ehlers prefers RW.

Both are more lethal on their off wing.

If it's bad coaching then why does Tanev do so well on RW?

It's clear, Maurice has held back Ehlers, Laine, and to this point even Josh Morrissey.

Wait until Ehlers gets traded he will be playing RW and all anyone will be able to talk about is his amazing skating abilities.
I don't think the stats back up your views on both Laine and Ehlers being "more lethal on their off wing."

If you take the 3 year average from IcyData, Laine scores 17% of goals from the Left Circle in the offensive zone and 19% from the Right Circle. His best goal scoring year was 2017-18. He scored 17% of his goals from the Left Circle and 20% from the Right Circle. This last year was even more marked with 16% of his goals from the Left Circle and 34% from the Right Circle. Laine's scoring in the slot and crease is well below the league average. The bottom line is that he scores from the circles at much higher percentage than the league average. Your comment also fails to appreciate that Laine's scoring from the Left Circle is inflated by the PWP as Wheeler sets up on the right side, forcing Laine to shoot from the Left Circle. Ironically, the Jets PWP might be stronger if the player combination allowed Laine to set up on the Right Circle. That may not be possible given the other players in fairness. For example, Scheifele is a right shot so if he is in the slot, it is easier to one time if the pass is coming from the right circle.

Not sure what your source of Laine prefers the LW comes from, but it is not hockey metrics. The numbers don't lie, he is more lethal if he is in the Right Circle in the offensive zone (i.e. playing RW).

I don't see the relevance of Tanev, JP is not a checker, we are talking about first or second line scoring wingers.

Ehlers is a bit of an interesting comment. He actually scores the same from both circles in the offensive zone at 13%. His most notable attribute is the very high percentage of goals in the middle. He scores a whopping 48% in the slot and another 17% in the crease. I do agree with you that Ehlers is a completely different sort of player given his skating, but the thread is about the Jets acquiring JP. With two good RWs (Wheeler and Laine), I don't know why the Jets would take JP on. To put him on the 3rd or 4th line is the same mistake as Edmonton made. The Jets don't have the quality of centres that Edmonton does. There are better ways to spend $ on the Jets than a JP rescue.

Anyway, the Jets will not be acquiring JP as they do not have the cap space or the time for this experiment. This entire thread is much to do about nothing (i.e. much like a Seinfeld episode).

Reactions: GJF

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
If Edmonton will accept a late round pick/lower valued prospect than Im down to give JP a shot. He's disappointed since turning pro but there is a reason he was a 3rd overall pick and EDM is not exactly known for their player development....

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If Edmonton will accept a late round pick/lower valued prospect than Im down to give JP a shot. He's disappointed since turning pro but there is a reason he was a 3rd overall pick and EDM is not exactly known for their player development....
I don't think that Holland would be that easy to dupe.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I highly doubt that Holland is going to trade PJ cheaply until he's had a chance to assess him first-hand.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Puljujarvi is like that standout kid in a Timbits game. Lots of skill with open ice but little sense or vision for whats going on around him. The game changes at every level and he hasn't kept up. He would be a good project to take on assuming he is coachable.

So let's sign him and Yakupov up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad