Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't see him being traded, its not like the pipeline for the caps is loaded like it was during Varlamov's tenure.

The other thing with Holtby's dip in stats last year was that Oates was encouraging changes that hurt his goaltending ability, and the defense around him was atrocious. I think Holtby will rebound nicely this season, and I doubt the caps will trade him

Okay. Thanks for answering me and good luck. Happy for you guys that Oates is gone. :)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No...too old. Won't be effective in three years when we are SC competitive. I'd be more interested in Pouliot from a D perspective. Maybe Brouwer + our 1st and 2nd for James Neal and Pouliot.

I think it would only work if the Pens throw in Crosby too....biased fans are going to be biased and overvalue their players. Are you sure your not a Maple Leafs fan?

Trades within the division are generally rare especially with more prominent names. Best to look out west for trades that would be more realistic.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
The new GM should get things going by offer sheeting Reilly Smith. The Bruins are cap crunched with just 9 million available and Iginla, Krug, and Chad Johnson waiting to be signed among others.

Put 3 x 3.3 on the table and see what happens. Not sure if that means we'd have to give up just our second or a first and a third. I'm not familiar with the CBA but whether those picks are for this upcoming draft or for 2015 would factor into the decision as well. Either scenario seems worth it for a stud like Smith imo.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
what do you think its going to cost to get him? It isnt going to be cheap.

i don;t think it will be to expensive, canucks fans may overvalue there players more than any fanbase in the league but i dont think the canucks are gonna sit on kesler like they did for loungo, seeing how that turned out. not to mention his no trade clause would decrease his value and hopefully were lucky enough to be on that list.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
what do you think its going to cost to get him? It isnt going to be cheap.

Agree, it's easier to just sign Grabo. There is also some type of NTC with Kesler--so not even sure it's possible. Just a secondary option. But the cost would be for sure steep.

Liberati0n*

Kesler is definitely not worth it. Maybe Canucks' fans overvalue their players, but the league as a whole overvalues that particular one.

Edit: I don't mean to imply he's not a very good player, just that his trade value will be excessive.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Kesler is definitely not worth it. Maybe Canucks' fans overvalue their players, but the league as a whole overvalues that particular one.

Edit: I don't mean to imply he's not a very good player, just that his trade value will be excessive.

i guess we'll have to wait and see what he goes for, i doubt its as much as canucks fans are hoping for. 2nd line centers with 1 or 2? years left don't warrant that much, jordan staal got sutter and a no. 8 pick i think, and that included a 10 year deal.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
I also dont think we are on his list of teams he would be traded to. One guy i could see replacing Grabo is Jokinen

Liberati0n*

i guess we'll have to wait and see what he goes for, i doubt its as much as canucks fans are hoping for. 2nd line centers with 1 or 2? years left don't warrant that much, jordan staal got sutter and a no. 8 pick i think, and that included a 10 year deal.

And a highly-rated defenseman prospect. I think Kesler may be perceived as a 1C by many.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
I'm all for Grabo, but our defense has sucked for about 6 years! Get some defenseman that can play after our top 3, sign a veteran backup goalie and get things going. This team needs to make changes all over, it it starts with a GM and coach who have yet to be hired.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
And a highly-rated defenseman prospect. I think Kesler may be perceived as a 1C by many.

so was staal by many, remember, "imagine what he could do if not core crosby and malkin". i just doubt kesler goes for as much as staal, especially with just 2 years left.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why not both? Injury buyout Laich, resign grabo and send Brouwer/Bowey + pick for Kesler?

Because Kesler won't waive his NTC to come here.

You'd also have tougher time to keep Grabo if you acquire another top C.

Halpysback*

The easiest thing may be to risk a Hillen-Green pairing (they seemed to play well together) while getting a cheap mobile borderline top 4 vet to play with Orlov. Ideally someone like McQuaid, Fayne, maybe even Hainsey. If Orlov takes a step forward then Alzner/Carlson/Orlov/McFaynsey could be enough to shelter Hillen-Green for top zone starts.

Otherwise they'd have to sell low/buy high.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
seeing we got Mac as GM and nothing major will happen to roster

Mojo Back AO
Kuz Liach Brouwer
Ward Fehr Chim
Latta Beagle Wilson

Alzner Carlson
Green Ernskin
Hillen Orlov

Holtby
Grub

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
With Trotz, I think one of Johansson-Kuznetsov-Burakovski is redundant.

All could be centers but aren't good enough for that. All weak. All aren't good wingers for Trotz system because of that (weakness/boardgame).

I would consider trading Burakovski for top4 defender. If there is a trade there we can get such a Dman for Johansson as a center piece - have to do it (if Grabo is signed).

What I do not see - top6 where all of MJ/EK/AB play in the same time. They aren't built for bottom-6, I suppose.

All young enough and it is a problem IMHO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
seeing we got Mac as GM and nothing major will happen to roster

Mojo Back AO
Kuz Liach Brouwer
Ward Fehr Chim
Latta Beagle Wilson

Alzner Carlson
Green Ernskin
Hillen Orlov

Holtby
Grub

maybe not, but there will be movement.

1. Ov returns to Left Wing. I think people will see that he is exposed defensively far more on the right than on his natural left. that move changes a lot of other things
2. Johansson goes back to center and Fehr goes back to rw.
3. Trotz will go back to the idea of playing centers at center and having centers take face offs. RW's will be Ward, Wilson, Brouwer and Fehr...is Kuz a natural RW?
4. I think Erskine is done. He might spend the season on LTIR
5. Expect the Caps to find a vet back up and let Grubauer play as a #1 in Hershey and fill in as #1 if Holtby is injured.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I can really see a healthy Brooks Laich flourishing under Trotz. I think he's going to like having so much talent at forward.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
J.Ward N.Backstom A.Ovechkin

E.Knutzov M. Grabovski A. Hemsky

A. Burakovsky M. Johansson T.Wilson

T. Brouwer E. Fehr J. Chimera

M. Green A. Markov
K. Alzner J. Carlson
A. Stralman D. Orlov

B. Holtby