Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberati0n*

xXx-vin-diesel-10397660-640-480.jpg

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Positive vibes:

Even if we don't make the playoffs the future is still bright.

Kuznetsov will be here with Burakovsky and Barber in the wings. Madison Bowey apparently broke Shea Weber's goal record for his team.

Carrick will be an NHL player although he isn't there just yet.

Wilson just needs more PT but there is great optomism about his potential in my eyes. One of the best hitters in the league already.

Really like what I've seen from Brown and Latta in limited minutes.

Orlov has proven he belongs.

Carlson and Alzner are a solid foundation to the D.

Backstrom and Ovechkin, despite a dip, are still top 10 scorers despite playing a passive dump and chase system that doesn't suit them.

Glad Holtby rebounded the other night. Him and Grubauer have excellent upside.

We have tons of cap space and Grabovski seems to like it here so hopefully we get something done. Also have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.

We're not perfect. There are some obvious holes and some questionable coaching issues along with the undertaker.

But its really a very solid foundation.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
One often repeated myth is that BB changed styles after the Montreal debacle. The truth is it happened after the 8 game losing streak the following year. The question in the previous thread was whether GMGM had a hand in that decision. BB admits listening to other voices, but was GMGM among them?

http://www.japersrink.com/2013/2/7/3961818/boudreau-ovechkin-capitals-trap-fml

This article mentions both GMGM and BB but not whose idea it was:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...1-04-19-alex-ovechkin-capitals-playoffs_N.htm

That was the moment, though Boudreau and McPhee knew making a drastic change in style in mid-season was risky. They laid it out for the players the next morning at the team's Arlington, Va., practice facility.

BB, after signing on with the Ducks, wasn't talking:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...naheim-ducks/2012/01/19/gIQABiQjBQ_story.html

“A head coach needs to be doing what he believes is right,” Boudreau said. “I don’t know why I got away from it, because everything I had done was right — or it worked.”

Boudreau said he would leave the rink second-guessing his day-to-day decisions, from alignments to deciding the best roles for players. He declined to elaborate further on what caused him to question his convictions.

Given what we've seen and heard from GMGM regarding being almost entirely hands-off, I have to think BB let some other people get into his head and made a desperation move in December of 2010, and he was not forced into it by GMGM. Unless someone can find some information to the contrary...?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
One often repeated myth is that BB changed styles after the Montreal debacle. The truth is it happened after the 8 game losing streak the following year.

That really depends on what you mean by changed styles. There were quotes from camp the fall after the Habs series where paraphrasing Boudreau said they were going to be more responsible and that while he wasn't changing their philosophy he was going to dial it back a notch in an effort to be a little better defensively.

Is that a change in style? I'm sure some would say no and some would say yes but regardless it is nowhere near the change from that to the trap without a doubt.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Positive vibes:

Even if we don't make the playoffs the future is still bright.

Kuznetsov will be here with Burakovsky and Barber in the wings. Madison Bowey apparently broke Shea Weber's goal record for his team.

Carrick will be an NHL player although he isn't there just yet.

Wilson just needs more PT but there is great optomism about his potential in my eyes. One of the best hitters in the league already.

Really like what I've seen from Brown and Latta in limited minutes.

Orlov has proven he belongs.

Carlson and Alzner are a solid foundation to the D.

Backstrom and Ovechkin, despite a dip, are still top 10 scorers despite playing a passive dump and chase system that doesn't suit them.

Glad Holtby rebounded the other night. Him and Grubauer have excellent upside.

We have tons of cap space and Grabovski seems to like it here so hopefully we get something done. Also have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.

We're not perfect. There are some obvious holes and some questionable coaching issues along with the undertaker.

But its really a very solid foundation.

Half the teams in the league....perhaps even 20 of them, can find positive facts about their franchises and say "the future is bright". You and your message of "hope". I'm over that.

Hope is created for the downtrodden masses. That things would one day become what they want/dream.

Hope is for suckers. And more often than not, the stuff of losers.

To each his own.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Next Season if I was GMGM...:
1) I would fire Oates, and try to sign an experienced coach like Peter Laviolette (somebody with a good track record).
2) Sign a top goalie and defensive coach.
3) Stick with the same scouting staff.

Trades/Signings:
1) Terminate Contract/Trade Mike Green.
2) Sign Madison Bowey, Burakovsky, and Riley Barber to rookie contracts.
3) Try to trade for/sign a potential 30-40 goal scorer or a vet scorer similar to Knuble.
4) Sign Halak or another free agent tender with good sv%.

Potential Lines (The lines improve by perfomance...):
30-40 Goal Scorer or Vet/Backstrom/Ovechkin
Burakovsky or Johansson/Kuznetsov/Ward
Chimera or Burakovsky/Johansson or Laich/Brouwer or Fehr or Barber
Brown/Beagle or Fehr/Wilson or Barber

Alzner/Carlson as the #1 pair (they are a good shutdown D).
Orlov/Oleksy or Wey as our #2 pair.
Erskine/Wey or Oleksy or Bowey as our 3rd pair.

Halak/Holtby

It doesn't require to many moves, I think these lines can compete for a top spot in the NHL...

Last edited:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
If I was GMGM...:
1) I would fire Oates, and try to sign an experienced coach like Peter Laviolette (somebody with a good track record).
2) Sign a top goalie and defensive coach.
3) Stick with the same scouting staff.

Trades/Signings:
1) Terminate Contract/Trade Mike Green.
2) Sign Madison Bowey, Burakovsky, and Riley Barber to rookie contracts.
3) Try to trade for/sign a potential 30-40 goal scorer or a vet scorer similar to Knuble.
4) Sign Halak or another free agent tender with good sv%.

Potential Lines (The lines improve by perfomance...):
30-40 Goal Scorer or Vet/Backstrom/Ovechkin
Burakovsky or Johansson/Kuznetsov/Ward
Chimera or Burakovsky/Johansson or Laich/Brouwer or Fehr or Barber
Brown/Beagle or Fehr/Wilson or Barber

Alzner/Carlson as the #1 pair (they are a good shutdown D).
Orlov/Oleksy or Wey as our #2 pair.
Erskine/Wey or Oleksy or Bowey as our 3rd pair.

Halak/Holtby

It doesn't require to many moves, I think these lines can compete for a top spot in the NHL...

lol, you can't be serious.

I like Mike Green, but I'll never bash somebody for wanting to replace him. But what in the world did you just do? Oleksy in the top-4? Erskine/Wey? Oh dear god.

Barber, Burakovsky, and Bowey all in the lineup? What is this, the Hershey Bears? That lineup is probably worse than Edmonton.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Half the teams in the league....perhaps even 20 of them, can find positive facts about their franchises and say "the future is bright". You and your message of "hope". I'm over that.

Hope is created for the downtrodden masses. That things would one day become what they want/dream.

Hope is for suckers. And more often than not, the stuff of losers.

To each his own.

Couldn't disagree more. Hope is for people who don't quit and battle through adversity. For fans who believe and will continue to do so.

I bet a LOT of Red Sox fans lost hope circa 2004. Yankees up 3-0 in series and up by a run in the 9th. Couple that with the brutal history of Red Sox failure I bet most of them lost hope. Prematurely.

That one game (game 4), that one series turned the whole franchise around. If there was no hope then that wouldn't have been possible.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Couldn't disagree more. Hope is for people who don't quit and battle through adversity. For fans who believe and will continue to do so.

I bet a LOT of Red Sox fans lost hope circa 2004. Yankees up 3-0 in series and up by a run in the 9th. Couple that with the brutal history of Red Sox failure I bet most of them lost hope. Prematurely.

That one game (game 4), that one series turned the whole franchise around. If there was no hope then that wouldn't have been possible.

What you're talking about is pollyanna fandom, BR.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pollyanna

That is not inherently better than being a rational skeptic.

Your examples are always extreme. We can come up with the rarest anecdotes for any dire situation and say "see, it happens, you're just being negative". But these things are memorable for a reason: they're rare and incredible. If you base your fandom on such things you will be led around by the nose your entire life while being pumped full of unrealistic expectations.

There's a difference between that kind of blind faith and informed optimism. A fan starting out the season with a lot of well-planned changes in place has a lot to look forward to, and rightly so. All teams have marketing and scouting directed toward this renewed optimism. But if a fan of that team has the same feelings despite almost a full season of evidence to the contrary then he's either ignorant of the situation or intentionally fooling himself and others for whatever reason.

There are degrees between complete pollyannaism and total, cynical dismissal. Your pendulum has swung to the opposite end despite the existence of those intermediate states. You are just a different kind of extremist, but still and extremist. If you're doing that for health reasons or personal reasons, fine. But we're not you, and you're not our doctor. ;)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Goon

Don't think I haven't been on the other side. I have. It sucks.

You can choose to not believe. You can choose to abandon hope. You can choose to strictly focus on the bad and the impossible. If doom makes you feel better about yourself have at it by all means!

When I played there were times when we were losing a game badly. I saw players give up essentially. They had lost hope. They were "being realistic about their expectations" about how the game would unfold or how our season was going.

I was never that player and never could be. I essentially aligned my fandom with that mindset a couple years ago. We could be down 6-0 with 10 minutes to go and I still believed. I sense you and Rids would quit at that point.

Hope is exactly what it is. Belief against the odds. But you will never defeat the odds without it.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Goon

Don't think I haven't been on the other side. I have. It sucks.

You can choose to not believe. You can choose to abandon hope. You can choose to strictly focus on the bad and the impossible. If doom makes you feel better about yourself have at it by all means!

When I played there were times when we were losing a game badly. I saw players give up essentially. They had lost hope. They were "being realistic about their expectations" about how the game would unfold or how our season was going.

I was never that player and ever could be. I essentially aligned my fandom with that mindset a couple years ago. We could be down 6-0 with 10 minutes to go and I still believed. I sense you and Rids would quit at that point.

Hope is exactly what it is. Belief against the odds. But you will never defeat the odds without it.

Once again, did you even read what I wrote? You could not have if this is your response. You are a preacher.

Plus, playing is not watching. My effort in believing or not believing has no effect on the outcome of a game. Do you think it does???

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Once again, did you even read what I wrote? You could not have if this is your response. You are a preacher.

Plus, playing is not watching. My effort in believing or not believing has no effect on the outcome of a game. Do you think it does???

Nope. Thats why its even MORE important to have hope in such situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino