Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Erat and Neuvirth for Nabakov and Pulock

No thanks. Saw your post on the Isles board.

Staple reported at the end of training camp, that Pulock had opened some eyes in the front office. He impressed so much, they debated rewarding him with the 9 game nhl look.

And Snow dumped Nino because he wanted a drama free lockerroom. Why would he add a disgruntlef Erat?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Visual hyperbole.

Urbom and Schmidt have looked so unexpectedly solid that I think a mid-season acquisition of a top-4 D for picks/prospects would make them a solid contender now as far as personnel goes.

What those players are being asked to do on and off the ice is another matter completely. I really had a suspicion that Tim Hunter was an important influence behind that late-season run last year, but sat on it because Oates should get an honest chance in non-shortened season. But... yeah. OV is the only player to score in the last 220 minutes of gameplay and it's because he "cheated" back onto LW a few times and well-respected veterans are begging off the team. Not so great.

Agree. Housecleaning is required. But I still think, one solid offseason with a new vision, and they could be a legit threat.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What rejuvenated Ovi is Oates's trust in him, and the communication between them. Not this mythical switch to RW. Oh, and him not carrying the puck as much as helped too.

It forced Ovi to stop skating into RDs / triple coverage, and turning it over. Over and over. It was killing this team and killing his confidence.

The move worked. And he won the Hart.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
It forced Ovi to stop skating into RDs / triple coverage, and turning it over. Over and over. It was killing this team and killing his confidence.

The move worked. And he won the Hart.

That's more of him just not carrying the puck in than switching from LW to RW.

Most of the time when he goes "Old Ovi Mode" on the RW, the same thing happens. Poke checked at the line, turnover.

Obviously whatever turned him around worked. I'm just saying it's more of the system and Oates' trust in him than the actual switch from LW to RW.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
kindof wish we could just start over with 8 19 kuzya 27 74 and holtby

the rest of the roster is just holding us back.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's more of him just not carrying the puck in than switching from LW to RW.

Most of the time when he goes "Old Ovi Mode" on the RW, the same thing happens. Poke checked at the line, turnover.

Obviously whatever turned him around worked. I'm just saying it's more of the system and Oates' trust in him than the actual switch from LW to RW.

Wait, am I the only one who's noticed Ovechkin has more burst and better stickhandling this year, and is actually pulling off that move almost as well as his first 3 or so years??

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wait, am I the only one who's noticed Ovechkin has more burst and better stickhandling this year, and is actually pulling off that move almost as well as his first 3 or so years??

That's a bit of an overstatement, but it is working more. I think it's mostly that he's not doing every time so he's less predictable and Dmen have to play him more cautiously.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's a bit of an overstatement, but it is working more. I think it's mostly that he's not doing every time so he's less predictable and Dmen have to play him more cautiously.

I don't know. I see him as quicker and more agile than the last few years. He can get separation and make multiple dekes accurately again. He's more creative and isn't just blasting wild shots way off target for the hell of it.

I've theorized since the start of the season that he's been practicing and training like he used to in preparation for the Olympics, given his past disappointments and just how infrequently that opportunity arises (plus with the games in his home country).

I think he's in the best physical and mental shape he's been in years and the Caps are benefitting from it. I just wonder what will happen when the Olympics are over...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi at RW remains a work in progress.

He could pass it much more than he does, He can hold the puck and go wide and try a wrap around. Pass it from the corner to the LW driving the net. Or drop it back to RD. He is a shooter first but there is more he can do to expand his game.

Oates should be helping to open up his eyes a bit more

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Ovi at RW remains a work in progress.

He could pass it much more than he does, He can hold the puck and go wide and try a wrap around. Pass it from the corner to the LW driving the net. Or drop it back to RD. He is a shooter first but there is more he can do to expand his game.

Oates should be helping to open up his eyes a bit more

Please remind me who is driving the net? Please remind me who is following Ovechkin up?

There's a reason why people find Ovechkin in scoring areas, its because he goes there and most drop passes are to him because he follows people up.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
you didnt really think that through did you?

No I did. I'd rather spend 4.5 mil on a good 3rd line player or 3.67 on a good top 9 forward than 2.5 mil on a below average back up goalie when we have a top 10 starting goalie in the NHL.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Value is probably way off but I'd trade Erat++ for Marchand. He seems to have fallen out of favor a bit in Boston. They have the same exact cap hit. Obviously Marchand is younger and has more value too. Just a pipe dream...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
No I did. I'd rather spend 4.5 mil on a good 3rd line player or 3.67 on a good top 9 forward than 2.5 mil on a below average back up goalie when we have a top 10 starting goalie in the NHL.

Except at this point, Brooks Laich is not a good 3rd liner and Troy Brouwer is not a good top-9 forward.

Also disagree on Holtby being top-10.

Vladiator16*

I think its funny how Erat called out George by going public, breaking his code. And going the extra mile and requesting to go to a contender.

Its a shot at both he and Oates.

Oates's meetings must be odd. ALWAYS catch the puck this way, angle your blade that way, always start forehand... poor players are likely overthinking every single thing. The NJ system may be fine, but he is possibly overloading them with obsessive details that are actually counterproductive. The opposite of - just go play.

This whole situation is very bothersome to me, the guy has been around, 11 years in the league is nothing to sneeze at, and all you heard about the guy is positive stuff, and now all of a sudden he just flat out wants to get the hell out... Is it management? Players? Coaching? All of the above?
C'mon gmgm pull something incredible out of your ass, you've got to figure out this GMing thing at some point.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't know. I see him as quicker and more agile than the last few years. He can get separation and make multiple dekes accurately again. He's more creative and isn't just blasting wild shots way off target for the hell of it.

I've theorized since the start of the season that he's been practicing and training like he used to in preparation for the Olympics, given his past disappointments and just how infrequently that opportunity arises (plus with the games in his home country).

I think he's in the best physical and mental shape he's been in years and the Caps are benefitting from it. I just wonder what will happen when the Olympics are over...

Yeah. Could be amazing or terrible. Doesn't seem like much in between.

Vladiator16*

I think its funny how Erat called out George by going public, breaking his code. And going the extra mile and requesting to go to a contender.

Its a shot at both he and Oates.

Oates's meetings must be odd. ALWAYS catch the puck this way, angle your blade that way, always start forehand... poor players are likely overthinking every single thing. The NJ system may be fine, but he is possibly overloading them with obsessive details that are actually counterproductive. The opposite of - just go play.

This whole situation is very bothersome to me, the guy has been around, 11 years in the league is nothing to sneeze at, and all you heard about the guy is positive stuff, and now all of a sudden he just flat out wants to get the hell out... Is it management? Players? Coaching? All of the above?
C'mon gmgm pull something incredible out of your ass, you've got to figure out this GMing thing at some point.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Value is probably way off but I'd trade Erat++ for Marchand. He seems to have fallen out of favor a bit in Boston. They have the same exact cap hit. Obviously Marchand is younger and has more value too. Just a pipe dream...

Marchand doesn't really have that much more value than Erat. Sure Caps would need to add but it would propably end up being Orlov+mid-pick at most. If not then it's easy pass from Caps.

Yeah i think he has got some of that creativity he used to have at the start of his career back. Sure he was faster then but he's way bigger now. He looks to be in very good shape.

It's tanking time if he regresses after the Olympics. AHL defense and underachieving offense can't live without his goals.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Maybe something could be worked out with the Avs? Stastny is a pending UFA, Avs have Duchene, O'Reilly and McKinnon at C, Erats dollars are less then his caphit, would give the Caps great depth on C , Erat's game would fit well under Roy's regime. Something obviously would have to be added to Erat. A 2nd? Orlov? Would you give up a first?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Maybe something could be worked out with the Avs? Stastny is a pending UFA, Avs have Duchene, O'Reilly and McKinnon at C, Erats dollars are less then his caphit, would give the Caps great depth on C , Erat's game would fit well under Roy's regime. Something obviously would have to be added to Erat. A 2nd? Orlov? Would you give up a first?

Propably not for UFA Stastny.

Would be willing to do Erat + Orlov + 1st (conditional on Stastny resigning, if he doesn't turns into 2nd) though.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Propably not for UFA Stastny.

Would be willing to do Erat + Orlov + 1st (conditional on Stastny resigning, if he doesn't turns into 2nd) though.

Seems fair! Would the Avs though? Stastny is their second leading scorer right now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I don't pretend to get or approve of the entire erat thing. I have no issue with the trade but in reading the comments from official staff it sounds like erat was the best option for a short term fix for laich being out. I don't see the value in keeping Erat beyond last season's playoffs then.

That said, thie C'mon gmgm pull something....posting makes it sound like McPhee has never made a good trade or a really good trade. The gaffes are the exception to the rule and not the good moves. Turning Steve Eminger into John Carlson as a for instance. Has anyone checked into what the players anywhere near Marcus Johansson in the draft are actually doing?

I still don't understand why you trade for a quality player and then not use him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad