Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Any vs barely....splitting hairs. EVERYONE knows he got a sniff with the top line here and there, that's not debatable.

You know, a guy needs to seize his opportunities, especially a veteran guy. How many games should he need before he makes an impact? 10? 15? 20?

I think Oates's utilization of players has sucked, so I'm not putting this all on Erat, but gimme a break. It's hockey not rocket science. Getting at least assists playing with Ovie should be almost automatic.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm less concerned with Forsberg in particular than with the randomness. A Forsberg-type player (not to mention the value he had around the league at the time) and a Wilson-type player should not be evaluated relative to one another. The only thing they have in common is being RW.

Yeah but I think McPhee looked at his medium term RW depth chart and only saw room for one of them and chose to keep Wilson.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
It's the only reason Fehr started the season at C. It's understandable why you'd block that from your memory.

They tried Fehr at center because they moved Perreault for cap space.

They knew Fehr was a solid player and would have trouble cracking the lineup at wing because Brouwer and Laich have dirty pictures of Oates. So they gave him a shot at center.

It didn't work and here we are.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They tried Fehr at center because they moved Perreault for cap space.

They knew Fehr was a solid player and would have trouble cracking the lineup at wing because Brouwer and Laich have dirty pictures of Oates. So they gave him a shot at center.

It didn't work and here we are.

You have it backwards. They tried Fehr at C because they had too many RWs and since Oates can convert anyone to a new position so long as the handedness is right, it was certain to work. So they traded Perrault.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Was OK with the Erat trade when it happened despite giving up Forsberg. And that is saying a lot being a draftnik. Honestly I blame Oates in this. Despite not producing all that well point wise Erat looks a lot better out there to my eyes out on the ice during a game than Laich/Brower do.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's the only reason Fehr started the season at C. It's understandable why you'd block that from your memory.

Fehr started the season at center because that was the only place in the lineup Oates could shoehorn him in. The wings were so full Erat was on the 4th line.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
You have it backwards. They tried Fehr at C because they had too many RWs and since Oates can convert anyone to a new position so long as the handedness is right, it was certain to work. So they traded Perrault.

Agree to disagree.

No matter how you put it, it sucks and is a black eye for the team.

Oates is clueless with forward positions, to say the least.

Erat is a RW? Ok, let's play him at LW and C!
Fehr is a LW? Ok, let's play him at RW and C!
Brouwer is a 4th line RW? Ok, top-6!
Laich is a 3rd line, shutdown-style C/LW. 2nd line scoring winger!

Orlov grew up playing RD. He can only play LD now apparently. He must have wiped out how to play on the other side of the ice from his memory.

Watch. Kuznetsov will come over, Oates will put him at center, and he'll promptly win about 25% of the faceoffs. Then they'll put him at LW even though he's a RW and he'll struggle. Just wait.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Pssh...that's how Cups are won baby!!! :D

Well at least Perreault has cooled off considerably after his 14 points in 16 games start.

I figure Wilson will start climbing the depth chart any day now. I mean he can't be any less effective at even strength than Brouwer right?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
In Capsland a glut of wingers=trade a center. Sigh.

Yep. And while it almost takes and act of congress for Oates to play a winger on his off side he thinks nothing of playing wingers as centermen. As a former center himself that strikes me as very odd...

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
As long as Latta develops and Forsberg doesn't, agreed. Total misuse of Erat by team management. He's the main piece of a redundant trade and then is treated almost like an outcast, not put into a situation to help him succeed, pretty much the opposite actually. Now maybe it comes out that he got here and was surly and nobody on the team liked him, dunno... On the surface the Erat handling was atrocious...

Pretty much how i feel about this. I really like Latta so far and I believe Erat should be on the top line. Starting the guy on the 4th line at the beginning of the season didn't help things either. Hopefully, the Caps can get something for him, but I have my doubts.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know, a guy needs to seize his opportunities, especially a veteran guy. How many games should he need before he makes an impact? 10? 15? 20?

I think Oates's utilization of players has sucked, so I'm not putting this all on Erat, but gimme a break. It's hockey not rocket science. Getting at least assists playing with Ovie should be almost automatic.

How many games did Mojo get? At best it was a shoddy chance for him.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
What's the Vegas line on Troy Brouwer talking **** about Erat after he's traded?

If anything, this reflects poorly on Oates more than GMGM. The cap implications (no pun) weren't great, but I warmed to the trade after the shock of FF being traded; Latta's been great, FF looks like he might be a bit hyped and Erat was a known quantity. Martin Erat has 700+ games at 2/3 RW. He is a 2/3 RW. That's where he should have been played. Did he ever see a game at 2/3 RW? Oates, you ****ing OCD weirdo.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
By the time Erat finally got a chance on our top line, it was at ES only, and long into a scoring slump. Chemistry and points are to be found on the PP. We are all about the PP. Erat got a few minutes with Ovi on the PP max. Its asking a lot to expect Erat to get that one assist to maybe be had at ES in those 6 games.

It was a tiny sample size WRT what we gave up for him. His time with Ovi was spent watching Ovi being Ovi. I don't remember Ovi giving him the puck once. Ovi is not used to playing with a guy like that.

I can't get over that George had too many RWs and so he traded a RW (that he could bury for a year in Hershey) for a vet RW.

If a player struggles immediately after a position change, I refuse to rule out the position change being in play.

The worst is that Oates is so handed obsessed we never even got him at a game at his natural position. And now MJ is stuck at LW, when he is a natural center.

I would almost bet anything that George and Oates will continue to try to change positions of players and then trade them if they fail. There is no going back to where we became enamored with the guy.

Next up, Orlov.

This could use its own thread.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
By the time Erat finally got a chance on our top line, it was at ES only, and long into a scoring slump. Chemistry and points are to be found on the PP. We are all about the PP. Its asking a lot to expect Erat to get that one assist to maybe be had at ES in those 6 games.

It was a tiny sample size WRT what we gave up for him. His time with Ovi was spent watching Ovi being Ovi. I don't remember Ovi giving him the puck once. Ovi is not used to playing with a guy like that.

I can't get over that George had too many RWs and so he traded a RW (that he could bury for a year in Hershey) for a vet RW.

If a player struggles immediately after a position change, I refuse to rule out the position change being in play.

The worst is that Oates is so handed obsessed we never even got him at a game at his natural position. And now MJ is stuck at LW, when he is a natural center.

I would almost bet anything that George and Oates will continue to try to change positions of players and then trade them if they fail. There is no going back to where we became enamored with the guy.

Next up, Orlov.

This is all reasonable and I had forgotten that Erat mostly played RW during his career.

Either way, it's just another organizational failure because the whole scenario that brought Erat here was such a fail and obviously the fallout is not good.

The bottom line is fire Makfi and his endless supply of rookie coaches and bring in a real GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad