Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
McPhailure will address the 2C. Methinks....Briere as I said when he was bought out.

A cheap one or two year deal? Sure. Although I'd still like to give the guys we have a good shot.

Anything more should be avoided.

Cheap short term deals for vets will keep them hungry and won't be near as risky.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Sorry you feel that way. The truth hurts....

The truth? 6 playoff appearances in a row does not constitute a failure. He may not be the best GM in world, but he has been consistently good (read good, not elite). If he was a "McPhailure" the product on the ice would not warrant sell outs every game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The truth? 6 playoff appearances in a row does not constitute a failure. He may not be the best GM in world, but he has been consistently good (read good, not elite). If he was a "McPhailure" the product on the ice would not warrant sell outs every game.

Another fan with eyes on the wrong prize. In case you forgot....

THIS is the goal....the ONLY goal that matters.

stanley.jpg

Look, seriously, McPhailure has done some very good things. He's rebuilt the team from scratch into a SE division champion. It's time for someone who can take this franchise to the next level. Apparently he can't.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

stanley.jpg

Look, seriously, McPhailure has done some very good things. He's rebuilt the team from scratch into a SE division champion. It's time for someone who can take this franchise to the next level. Apparently he can't.

You gotta make the playoffs to have a shot.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008

stanley.jpg

I think you're forgetting that only 1 team can win the Cup per season. That's a 3.33% chance. McPhee at the helm with the team he has built gives the Caps a better than 3.33%. Thus certainly not a failure.

Also that's the only goal that matters, clearly you forget hockey is a business. Fans follow much more if a team is consistently good than if they win a cup then flame out (see Carolina).

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Who gives a flying two ****s about the regular season?

They have proved they can make it through the regular season.

They need playoff performers.

Well, making the playoffs isn't a slam dunk in this division, and you can't exactly identify "playoff performers" with any consistency since a week or two of good/bad luck can just totally throw things off.

Get the best players you can, regardless. Bonus points if they fit whatever identity you're trying to build (and super extra bonus points if both the player and the identity account for weaknesses you've identified, whether during the regular season or the playoffs).

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think you're forgetting that only 1 team can win the Cup per season. That's a 3.33% chance. McPhee at the helm with the team he has built gives the Caps a better than 3.33%. Thus certainly not a failure.

Also that's the only goal that matters, clearly you forget hockey is a business. Fans follow much more if a team is consistently good than if they win a cup then flame out (see Carolina).

I'd say its more than just winning the cup. We have yet to make it past the 2nd round. For a team that makes it into the playoffs year in and year out thats... kind of unacceptable. George is stuck. Has been stuck. And that alone is good enough reason to find someone else.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Honestly, this last lockout sort of blew GMGM's long-term cap strategy to hell. The compliance buyouts were a "get out of 2 terrible contracts free" pass for every franchise except the Caps, since their worst contract is obviously not amnesty-able. A rollback would've served the Caps much better, or no buyouts at all (which would've ensured that teams like the Rangers and Flyers would be totally crippled in a few years).

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Honestly, this last lockout sort of blew GMGM's long-term cap strategy to hell. The compliance buyouts were a "get out of 2 terrible contracts free" pass for every franchise except the Caps, since their worst contract is obviously not amnesty-able. A rollback would've served the Caps much better, or no buyouts at all (which would've ensured that teams like the Rangers and Flyers would be totally crippled in a few years).

This is completely true. I have my issues with GM but he played by the rules and got screwed for it. One of those bloated contracts for a good player may have made a big difference in recent times. Think if we had one more legit scorer against the Rags two years ago. Dale likely gets this team to the conf finals and who knows what happens from there. But GM didn't add any players like that because he didn't want to be stuck with a crappy deal. Had he known he could have just walked away from such a contract...

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
This is completely true. I have my issues with GM but he played by the rules and got screwed for it. One of those bloated contracts for a good player may have made a big difference in recent times. Think if we had one more legit scorer against the Rags two years ago. Dale likely gets this team to the conf finals and who knows what happens from there. But GM didn't add any players like that because he didn't want to be stuck with a crappy deal. Had he known he could have just walked away from such a contract...

I mean, it was a pretty safe bet that you'd be able to amnesty them (so it's just a matter of whether Ted would have ok'd it). You can't change the rules in the middle of the game without giving people a way out, and given how many important teams had them on the books you could see it coming...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Think if we had one more legit scorer against the Rags two years ago. Dale likely gets this team to the conf finals and who knows what happens from there..

are you sure dale would have let him play? there were enough ovechkin minutes left on the table to have made that difference plus the other offensive players that sat and watched a lot.

I am not sure another offensive player makes a difference because dale really didn't want those guys on the ice if he could avoid it.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
are you sure dale would have let him play? there were enough ovechkin minutes left on the table to have made that difference plus the other offensive players that sat and watched a lot.

I am not sure another offensive player makes a difference because dale really didn't want those guys on the ice if he could avoid it.

There was method to Dale's madness and it worked. That was as far as this "core" has gotten in the playoffs.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I mean, it was a pretty safe bet that you'd be able to amnesty them (so it's just a matter of whether Ted would have ok'd it). You can't change the rules in the middle of the game without giving people a way out, and given how many important teams had them on the books you could see it coming...
Yeah, maybe. It's still a risk.

Fine, a top 4D then so Sarge doesn't get anywhere near the ice.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

The problem with spending money like that is that we aren't Toronto, NY Rangers or Philly where we generate $$$$$.

Besides the teams that employ that kind of strategy don't seem to have much success do they?

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
I just want to say it now. In before Tim Thomas to Philly for 3 years at 3.5M per.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
The problem with spending money like that is that we aren't Toronto, NY Rangers or Philly where we generate $$$$$.

Besides the teams that employ that kind of strategy don't seem to have much success do they?

Depends on who you're talking about. Hossa was a good gamble. Bryz obviously a bad one. I mean, find the right guy and it doesn't matter.

Obviously the Caps aren't a powerhouse team financially, so Ted would have had to be willing to eat the deal if it came to that (the way Vinnik is with Lecavalier; Tampa doesn't make a dime, but Vinnik can afford a one-off thing like that personally).

I'm not sure who I would have gone for with those types of deals (Hossa and Suter are guys I would have made room for, I think) but my overall point is if you're not at least willing to do that you weren't playing with a full hand. Doesn't mean you have to pull the trigger if you don't like the fit, of course, and maybe that's as far as GMGM ever got.

realroadrage

Jun 20, 2010
May be simplistic on my part, but here's how I see it:

1) the group of players, coaches, trainers, management the Caps assembled last year were not good enough to win a playoff series
2) you lose your second highest point scorer and 12th highest point scorer in the league
3) the rest you lose (Hendricks, Schultz) is negligible

Do people really think that a year of experience gained by players on the team and the infusion of some young talent (Wilson, maybe Kuz) is enough to overcome the losses? This team needs a massive infusion of talent/grit/effort to even consider winning a playoff series.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005

1) the group of players, coaches, trainers, management the Caps assembled last year were not good enough to win a playoff series
2) you lose your second highest point scorer and 12th highest point scorer in the league

Do people really think that a year of experience gained by players on the team and the infusion of some young talent (Wilson, maybe Kuz) is enough to overcome the losses? This team needs a massive infusion of talent/grit/effort to even consider winning a playoff series.

I do. It's not an ideal situation - I'd like to have another scoring forward and maybe bolster our defense a little. But you shouldn't discount the additions of Laich and possibly Kuz/Wilson to the mix compared to last year. Not to mention further maturation of Holtby plus a full camp to work with the coaching staff. Last year's lockout probably hurt the Caps more than any other team. However, I don't think losing Hendricks would be negligible - I don't see Volpatti filling that void and I don't know enough about Latta to assume he can fill Hendo's shoes.

It is going to be harder to compete this year though. The Caps can't afford to mail it in the first half of the season. Being in the Patrick Division will make it that much tougher to just get into the playoffs.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

The underlying assumptions being that

a) they'll play exactly the same team as last year
b) playing the same team will generate the same result
c) the group of players, coaches, trainers, management the Caps assembled hasn't improved

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Well correct me if I'm wrong but outside of Hossa the Blackhawks pretty much entirely built from within right? Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, Bolland, Bickell Hjarmalsson (or however you spell dudes name), Crawford and guys like Ladd, Buff, Brouwer before that etc Sure they grabbed a couple other vets and acquired a couple young guys from foolish GMs (Sharp and Leddy)

Also they do make alot more than the Caps. I found a Forbes report some time ago where basically a handful of teams made a ton of money, some teams like the Caps hovered around break even and lots lost money.

Depends on who you're talking about. Hossa was a good gamble. Bryz obviously a bad one. I mean, find the right guy and it doesn't matter.

Obviously the Caps aren't a powerhouse team financially, so Ted would have had to be willing to eat the deal if it came to that (the way Vinnik is with Lecavalier; Tampa doesn't make a dime, but Vinnik can afford a one-off thing like that personally).

I'm not sure who I would have gone for with those types of deals (Hossa and Suter are guys I would have made room for, I think) but my overall point is if you're not at least willing to do that you weren't playing with a full hand. Doesn't mean you have to pull the trigger if you don't like the fit, of course, and maybe that's as far as GMGM ever got.

For every one good gamble there are tons of Brad Richards, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Bryzgalov etc types

If the Caps pulled the trigger on a guy like that they would be in the red for years to come. Its very easy to play with other people's money.

Unless you are Toronto, Montreal, NY, Philly etc then you cannot afford to make those kinds of mistakes.

Tampa didnt buy out VL to go and sign other guys (like Philly did when they bought out Briere and Bryz). They bought him out to save $$$ going down the road so they wouldn't be losing tons of money.

Well this is yet another team that built mostly from within. They do not throw around mad money like the teams in question (Toronto, NY, Philly). Nothing close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad