Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
9422ff1cf1c72f577b8951ef33d8c1d0.gif

Jun 15, 2007
I will seriously be annoyed if Ribeiro is not retained unless he's asking for 6m/4+ years.

The Forsberg/Erat trade I can swallow, but not if it means we let Ribeiro walk for nothing. That's a lateral move at best, at the expense of Forsberg.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I will seriously be annoyed if Ribeiro is not retained unless he's asking for 6m/4+ years.

The Forsberg/Erat trade I can swallow, but not if it means we let Ribeiro walk for nothing. That's a lateral move at best, at the expense of Forsberg.

...and Eakin.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Txpd, I would have been really unhappy if we had lost Wilson over Forsberg. Wilson is the type of player this organization has needed for many years.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Wondering aloud if the cap going down affects deals for guys like Ribs, MoJo and Alzner. I mean, if the comparables got contracts in the old cap environment can we expect proportional decreases in these guys deals?

Wishful thinking but I thought I'd throw it out there.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If we lose Ribs I wouldn't mind one bit bringing back Zubrus here. Maybe not a true top 6 center but he did a good job. He's big, has good puck possession and has a relationship with GMGM and Ovie at least.

Its not the end of the world if we lose Ribs.

There are other guys out there we could sign for less that can fill in if we don't want to go with what we have.

I do like his fiesty play and skill but not his age, defense or the amount he probably will command.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Zubrus has been on the wing in NJ exclusively this season, and for most of last season as well.

Enough of shifting internal options away from the wing to cover center or getting over the hill vets. We've been down that road, and it didn't work out. Fork over the cash to keep Ribs.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Zubrus has been on the wing in NJ exclusively this season, and for most of last season as well.

Enough of shifting internal options away from the wing to cover center or getting over the hill vets. We've been down that road, and it didn't work out. Fork over the cash to keep Ribs.

If they do, it'll be after the draft. No chance McPhee puts himself over the cap before the biggest trading day of the offseason.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

He was pretty decent in that role here I thought. Big body, responsible, a good guy in the locker room, can skate and has familiarity with the team. Won't break the bank.

Also the Caps love bringing in guys a 2nd time:

Carpenter, Cote, Khristich, Halpern, Fehr, and even Jurcina (right? didn't they bring him back only not to play?)

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
He was pretty decent in that role here I thought. Big body, responsible, a good guy in the locker room, can skate and has familiarity with the team. Won't break the bank.

Carpenter, Cote, Khristich, Halpern, Fehr, and even Jurcina (right? didn't they bring him back only not to play?)
Jurcina came back in a deal at the deadline a couple years ago while injured. Traded a conditional pick which amounted to nothing since he didn't play.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't mean the been down the Zubrus road specifically, but rather the "let's bring in this vet and hope he can fill the 2C role" road. See Arnott, Morrison, and Fedorov. Fedorov worked out alright, but even he missed a lot of time due to injury (same with Arnott). Zubrus was much younger when he filled that role for this team previously. He's been much more effective on the wing since joining New Jersey.

How many of those worked out well?

And Jurcina was only away for a couple months. He played a grand total of 17 games for the Blue Jackets before getting injured and being traded back to Washington.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I've always liked Zubrus, but at this point he'd be a 2C fill-in, no better than internal options like MP or (sigh) Laich.

At the same time, I am starting to agree with some posters here that Ribeiro has to really bring it in playoffs, or I'd have some significant doubts as far as re-signing him. He's really been disappearing for long stretches in games.. and when he's not scoring points, he's not doing much.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Ribeiro has 12 points in has last 10 games. Tied for second on the team in that stretch with Backstrom.

Ribeiro isn't particularly useful when he isn't scoring but to his credit, he asnt stopped scoring as a Cap.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
The problem is Ribs reputation. Those calls last night were clown calls. But yet, here we are. That crap happens in the playoffs and he will be a marked man going forward. No way he is a $5m/year player right now. He is what we need, but not at that level.

And, I too will not be happy with the potential of Forsberg and Eakin for Erat.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The problem is Ribs reputation. Those calls last night were clown calls. But yet, here we are. That crap happens in the playoffs and he will be a marked man going forward. No way he is a $5m/year player right now. He is what we need, but not at that level.

And, I too will not be happy with the potential of Forsberg and Eakin for Erat.

It's not Forsberg and Eakin for Erat. The Ribeiro trade and the Erat trade are completely separate entities. Never mind that the Caps also got Latta in the Erat trade, which you conveniently ignored.

If you really want to break it down like that, it's like this:

Semyon Varlamov -> COL 1st 2012, DAL 2nd 2012
......COL 1st 2012 -> Filip Forsberg
............Filip Forsberg -> Martin Erat, Michael Latta
......DAL 2nd 2012, Cody Eakin -> Mike Ribeiro

It's Varlamov + Eakin for Erat, Latta, and Ribeiro. And yes, they used Ribeiro for the term of his contract. Not extending him wouldn't take that away.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It's not Forsberg and Eakin for Erat. The Ribeiro trade and the Erat trade are completely separate entities. Never mind that the Caps also got Latta in the Erat trade, which you conveniently ignored.

If you really want to break it down like that, it's like this:

Semyon Varlamov -> COL 1st 2012, DAL 2nd 2012
......COL 1st 2012 -> Filip Forsberg
............Filip Forsberg -> Martin Erat, Michael Latta
......DAL 2nd 2012, Cody Eakin -> Mike Ribeiro

It's Varlamov + Eakin for Erat, Latta, and Ribeiro. And yes, they used Ribeiro for the term of his contract. Not extending him wouldn't take that away.

Acquiring Erat eliminates the possibility of extending him. When we acquired him that was a possibility.

The freedom to extend him does have economic value, which was eliminated via the Erat acquisition.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I like the fire Ribs brings and don't mind those penalties at all. The yapping at the refs I can do without but I like him giving the stinky glove and finishing checks and sticking his nose in there.

Personally the penalties don't bother me. That is after the first couple minutes when I hurl my lamp across the room and scream at the TV...

After I settle down I am happy he does that as opposed to just passively relaxing like 55.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Acquiring Erat eliminates the possibility of extending him. When we acquired him that was a possibility.

The freedom to extend him does have economic value, which was eliminated via the Erat acquisition.

I'm of the opinion that they had already decided not to extend Ribeiro at the time Erat was acquired.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If they make the stupid decision of letting Ribeiro walk and Philadelphia buys out Briere, thoughts on targetting Briere to replace Ribs? Given his situation with his ex-wife and children, Briere is going to want to stay near Philadelphia, which narrows down the potential bidders significantly. And he'll still be getting paid by Philly, so I doubt money will be a massive concern.

He's played wing this season, but that's in large part because Philadelphia has Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier. Split between center and wing last year, and was predominantly a center before that (even when both Richards and Carter were around). Known playoff producer with plenty of offensive talent.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If they make the stupid decision of letting Ribeiro walk and Philadelphia buys out Briere, thoughts on targetting Briere to replace Ribs? Given his situation with his ex-wife and children, Briere is going to want to stay near Philadelphia, which narrows down the potential bidders significantly. And he'll still be getting paid by Philly, so I doubt money will be a massive concern.

He's played wing this season, but that's in large part because Philadelphia has Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier. Split between center and wing last year, and was predominantly a center before that (even when both Richards and Carter were around). Known playoff producer with plenty of offensive talent.

I think something like this is a good idea. There will be a few buyout guys who will be in this situation who can be had for a minimal cap hit.

Lets see how the UFA market shakes down with impending cap reduction. Again..worst case we go with Laich and MP. Need to save some cap room for Kuznetsov too.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Forwards under contract for next season:
XX (90) - 19 - 8
10 - XX - 20
21 - 85 - 42
25 - 83 - 16
24, XX

Assuming they sign Johansson, they'll have exactly one spot in the forward roster to fill (plus a depth player). If one of 90, 21, or 85 is not your 2C, that's a pretty expensive spot - and I don't see anybody out there at equivalent cost who's an upgrade over any of the three.

I think they're going to roll with the guys they have, barring a crazy cap dump move by somebody.
10 - 19 - 8
21 - 90 - 20
25 - 85 - 42
26 - 83 - 16
24, XX

27 - 52
4 - 74
38 - 61
XX (55)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad