Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberati0n*

Sorry you feel that way. The truth hurts....

For someone whose favorite refrain is "forest for the trees," you sure miss the point of things a lot. I'm also curious why community service hours matter if the "ONLY" goal is winning the Cup.

Speaking of trending. I think Nick was injured his past loffs but am judging him on his entire playoff resume. 57GP 43 Points is meh. And he racked those points up playing almost exclusively with Ovi, the best player in the world or league for a lot of that time.
Not that I don't think Backstrom needs to up his game in the playoffs, but he's been split up from Ovechkin a bunch of times in them. Particularly when Fedorov was here, Boudreau liked to switch them. 21-19-28 was together a decent amount I think.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD

Well this is yet another team that built mostly from within. They do not throw around mad money like the teams in question (Toronto, NY, Philly). Nothing close.

I think Boston made smart trades, signings, not tons of the roster was built from within.

Signings - Chara, Ryder
Trades - Peverly, Recchi, Kelly, Seidenberg, Ference, Kaberle, Horton, Boychuk, Paille

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think Boston made smart trades, signings, not tons of the roster was built from within.

Signings - Chara, Ryder
Trades - Peverly, Recchi, Kelly, Seidenberg, Ference, Kaberle, Horton, Boychuk, Paille

Seguin and Rask as well.

Boston built a team -via free agency, trade and draft. We took a bunch of draft picks that don't fit together and call them a team.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Gerbe is on regular waivers, not compliance buyout waivers. Sabres plan to use regular buyout if he clears. How peculiar.

He only costs 1/3 his deal for buyout, not 2/3, due to his age. I don't know if they can do that as a compliance buyout (or if they can do it at the reduced price), so they may be trading the cap hit for the cash savings.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Seguin and Rask as well.

Boston built a team -via free agency, trade and draft. We took a bunch of draft picks that don't fit together and call them a team.

Guys like Seguin and Rask...they remind me of Sharp and Leddy.

You have GMs looking to expedite winning and they foolishly give up on young players.

Seguin and Rask both were acquired from Toronto for shortsighted reasons right?

You could also consider guys like Green and Carlson for the Caps. We acquired those picks we used to draft them from teams looking to win now. The Eminger for Carlson deal seems dumbfounding from a Flyers perspective doesn't it?

Signings - Chara, Ryder

I would take out Kaberle and insert Campbell and that is a good point. But for the most part those acquisitions (clearly outside of Chara!) were more under the radar. They didn't break the bank in terms of assets nor highlight the TSN ticker.

Peverly on waivers. Seidenberg I think we all wanted here and GMGM thought it was better to get Corvo (uggghhh)

And back to Chara...yes he was a top end UFA who got $$$$. But unlike guys like Richards, Lecavalier, Briere etc he was not even 30 and just entering his prime (especially for a Dman) when the Bs signed him.

Ofcourse its important to make the right acquisitions. You see the Steelers, Patriots and teams like that in the NFL do them all the time. The difference is they don't go after the Haynesworth's of the world. The under the radar guys who are hungry and on less risky deals seem to be the best bets.

GMGM and the Caps need to be better about those kinds of moves. They hit on some Hendricks, Brouwer, Chimera, and Poti the first time around but they seem to miss far more often.

My point is we need to steer clear of the aging high profile vets who want $$$.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Guys like Seguin and Rask...they remind me of Sharp and Leddy.

You have GMs looking to expedite winning and they foolishly give up on young players.

Seguin and Rask both were acquired from Toronto for shortsighted reasons right?

You could also consider guys like Green and Carlson for the Caps. We acquired those picks we used to draft them from teams looking to win now. The Eminger for Carlson deal seems dumbfounding from a Flyers perspective doesn't it?

I see. Pieces we could have gotten for Semin/Wideman/Ribeiro. But we held on to those players for shortsighted reasons.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I see. Pieces we could have gotten for Semin/Wideman/Ribeiro. But we held on to those players for shortsighted reasons.

I'm with you on Wideman and Semin but there's no way we should have dumped Ribeiro last year. He was a core piece.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think you're forgetting that only 1 team can win the Cup per season. That's a 3.33% chance. McPhee at the helm with the team he has built gives the Caps a better than 3.33%. Thus certainly not a failure.

Also that's the only goal that matters, clearly you forget hockey is a business. Fans follow much more if a team is consistently good than if they win a cup then flame out (see Carolina).

I didn't forget anything. How many years of playoff failure are we supposed to forget? I mean, hell....show us some improvement, get to later rounds and I would be happy. Regression is failure.

1st round flameouts are failures....and they're being repeated. How long should McPhailure get? 15 years not enough? Should we give him another 10?

At some point, you hope the owner has a vision for more than being a playoff qualifier and filling the building. So far, that's what our GM has given us in 15+ years.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
My point is we need to steer clear of the aging high profile vets who want $$$.

Agreed, and heady trades. Weiss is the smart signing we need, 5 years, $18-20 million. Then trade for a 2nd pairing D partner.

Is it worth flipping Green and trying to acquire Edler for cheaper? Seem to be similar players, though Edler bigger and more physical.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is completely true. I have my issues with GM but he played by the rules and got screwed for it. One of those bloated contracts for a good player may have made a big difference in recent times. Think if we had one more legit scorer against the Rags two years ago. Dale likely gets this team to the conf finals and who knows what happens from there. But GM didn't add any players like that because he didn't want to be stuck with a crappy deal. Had he known he could have just walked away from such a contract...

Not the first time that McPhailure and company guessed wrong with the salary landscape and the CBA. Last time around they were suggesting to the press that with all their cap space (at the time) that they would be ready and waiting to scoop up all of those prime players who teams suddenly couldn't afford. What happened? We got none of these prime players. Teams adjusted....McPhailure was wrong.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
You don't let core pieces walk for nothing.

Generally I agree but given the fact that we made the playoffs both years it would have been a mistake to dump them during the regular season and neither Semin nor Wideman were worth what it would have cost us to re-sign. For Ribeiro it remains to be seen. If he signs somewhere else for less than $5million and 3 years or less we should have kept him here. He wants a longer term though so we'll see how that goes.

On another note - Mueller, Daugavins and Pouliot are among the unqualified RFA's. I think all three are compelling in different ways. Not sure if they bump any of our roster players but all three could provide scoring depth that I don't think we have at the top tier of our prospect pool. I wonder if we'll take a shot on anyone. I'd like to see us take a shot at Daugavins.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

You can't have it both ways. Those trades were different. No team in the midst of a playoff push who is in the playoffs or right close trades key players like that. I've never heard of it before. Making the playoffs is important and if you are right there you don't dump assets for futures.

Agreed, and heady trades. Weiss is the smart signing we need, 5 years, $18-20 million. Then trade for a 2nd pairing D partner.

Is it worth flipping Green and trying to acquire Edler for cheaper? Seem to be similar players, though Edler bigger and more physical.

I'm lukewarm on Weiss. Again I'd prefer to build from within in all honesty.

I like Edler. But I wouldn't trade Green. Green is on a level few dmen can approach offensively and his D is getting better every year. At best it would be a lateral move. Could we use a better version of Erskine in the top 4? Sure. I prefer to see what Orlov has at this point.

But in general I think we agree on the direction of the team. The valuations individual players we may differ on ofcourse.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've been intrigued by Mueller since his Team USA days. More and more he's looking like a bust. Wouldn't be surprised if he just walked away from the game someday.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You can't have it both ways. Those trades were different. No team in the midst of a playoff push who is in the playoffs or right close trades key players like that. I've never heard of it before. Making the playoffs is important and if you are right there you don't dump assets for futures

You realize that Boston traded Kessel a year after finishing in first right? Just like we should have done with Semin.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
He only costs 1/3 his deal for buyout, not 2/3, due to his age. I don't know if they can do that as a compliance buyout (or if they can do it at the reduced price), so they may be trading the cap hit for the cash savings.

Follow same rules/math, so yes 1/3, spread out over 2 years. So yes, 1/3 buyout can be a compliance buyout. IF it is a regular buyout, one has to run the numbers to determine what the cap hit would be over the 2 years since he didn't get paid equal amounts every year. Signs point to this being a compliance buyout looking on twitter.

"if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or"

"Compliance Buy-Outs. During the "Ordinary Course Buy-Out" periods following the 2012-13 NHL Season and 2013-14 NHL Season, in addition to any other Ordinary Course Buy-Outs a Club may want to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, each Club may elect to terminate and "buy-out" the SPC of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a "Compliance Buy-Out") (i.e., each Club shall be entitled to a total of two Compliance Buy-Outs that may be exercised in one year or over two years). Such Compliance Buy-Outs shall be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that (i) there shall be no charge against the Club's Averaged Club Salary in any League Year on account of a Compliance Buy-Out and (ii) any amounts paid pursuant to a Compliance Buy-Out shall be counted against the Players' Share in the League Years in which they are paid. Further, a Player who has been bought out under the Compliance Buy-Out provision of this Agreement shall be prohibited from rejoining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment or otherwise) for the 2013-14 League Year (if that Player was bought out in 2013) or for the 2014-15 League Year (if that Player was bought out in 2014)."

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You realize that Boston traded Kessel a year after finishing in first right? Just like we should have done with Semin.

Right they did it in the offseason as opposed to doing so in the midst of a run. His salary and term were not in line with what the Bs were willing to pay. Semin was on 1 year deals which are preferable and give the team flexibility.

I don't buy the argument that you must trade all your UFAs in order to get value for them back in terms of futures. I don't believe very many teams employ this strategy unless they are a non playoff team in full fledged rebuilding mode.

Liberati0n*

SDBondra said:
I'd like to see us take a shot at Daugavins.
Good. Brad Tolliver will probably never come back then. Realistically, that is probably the kind of signing that will happen, with no others. :cry:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I've been intrigued by Mueller since his Team USA days. More and more he's looking like a bust. Wouldn't be surprised if he just walked away from the game someday.

I thought he looked really good against us last year but I didn't watch any other Panthers games so for all I know he sucked for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad