Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/10-points-pavelski-still-favorite-be-next-sharks-captain

Joe Pavelski said on Tuesday morning that he was unaware of a tweet from Sportsnet.ca’s Damien Cox on Monday that the “expectations [are] growing†he’ll be named as Sharks captain at some point this season.

While there may or may not be an internal timeline as to the naming of the next captain, there’s little doubt at this point that it will be Pavelski, based on some conversations I’ve had.

Internally, the former seventh round draft pick is viewed as the guy that it wants younger up-and-coming players like Matt Nieto, Tomas Hertl, Chris Tierney, Mirco Mueller and others to view as a role model. It could happen soon, or it could happen months from now depending on how the team performs, but the next time a Sharks player ends up getting a ‘C’ on his sweater you can just about count on it being the 30-year-old Wisconsin native.

I'm with you, don't see Pavelski available unless it was for an absurd price. Sharks will retool around him and he's exactly the guy you want around your young core.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
What does SJ need? Presumably D as they are standing pat on keeping him back there.

Nate Schmidt, Mike Green and a 1st? We'd need to shed salary to SJ or elsewhere.

Bowey, 1st, Laich? Maybe Orlov is healthy by then and they prefer him to Bowey. Maybe they prefer Johansson or Brouwer to Laich (they'll occupy similar salary slots for next season, so). Or maybe they go off script and ask for Kuznetsov or Burakovsky.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
BB with Ovie and Nick would be insane. I think you guys are wrong though about him not working out at D. Most Sharks fans I've seen on here are happy with him at D.

This off season is going to be interesting. Major changes in Chicago and Boston. Changes promised in San Jose. McJesus/Eichel draft. Toronto rebuild. Get yer popcorn ready.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pavelski has limited no-trade clause. I believe he can block trades to atleast 10 teams, could be 15 too.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Burakovsky\Kuznetsov, Bowey\Vrana, Orlov\Schmidt, 1st rounder. Those are the pieces Sharks would want.

For Burns you either remove 1st part or 2nd and 4th.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
While I highly doubt Pavelski will be traded I could see Burns being available for the right price.

But they'd probably want a young D back in addition to other stuff. I doubt they'd take a cap dump like Laich back.

But...

Are we really looking to pay nearly $6 mil for a winger? I guess he can play D too which is great but the reason we are getting rid of Green is we are over invested in D.

I don't see this as wise. If we are going to use up a good chunk of our available cap space then it would stand to reason we try and get the 2C.

Assets+Cap space used for Burns would be much wiser used on a 2C.

I do like Burns however.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Are we really looking to pay nearly $6 mil for a winger? I guess he can play D too which is great but the reason we are getting rid of Green is we are over invested in D.

I don't see this as wise. If we are going to use up a good chunk of our available cap space then it would stand to reason we try and get the 2C.

Assets+Cap space used for Burns would be much wiser used on a 2C.

Who you would target as 2C and for what assets? There is literally no potential options this off-season barring overpayment.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Who you would target as 2C and for what assets? There is literally no potential options this off-season barring overpayment.

...Yet Brent Burns is?

I don't think so. You'll need to overpay quite heavily for Burns too.

Patrick Sharp is most likely the best top-6 forward available in the off-season (left out Kessel for obvious reasons).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

I would think ROR would cost about what Burns would command altho Burns is signed to a greater length. Maybe ROR would cost a bit less due to this?

But certainly he'd fit our needs better. If we are going to break the bank in terms of assets and cap space (via overpayment) then we may as go for a 2C as long as its not INSANE (i.e. Carlson, Backstrom or something silly like that)

Sharp would probably cost less than either but he is a winger and older/on the decline coming off a bad bad year and will be like 33 next year.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
BB with Ovie and Nick would be insane. I think you guys are wrong though about him not working out at D. Most Sharks fans I've seen on here are happy with him at D.

This off season is going to be interesting. Major changes in Chicago and Boston. Changes promised in San Jose. McJesus/Eichel draft. Toronto rebuild. Get yer popcorn ready.

To be fair, I'm basing that almost entirely on this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-real-question-about-brent-burns/

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I would think ROR would cost about what Burns would command altho Burns is signed to a greater length. Maybe ROR would cost a bit less due to this?

But certainly he'd fit our needs better. If we are going to break the bank in terms of assets and cap space (via overpayment) then we may as go for a 2C as long as its not INSANE (i.e. Carlson, Backstrom or something silly like that)

Sharp would probably cost less than either but he is a winger and older/on the decline coming off a bad bad year and will be like 33 next year.
I think they will resign ROR. Colorado can't let go of great two-way forwards (especially centers) not with their d-core.

Isn't Vrbata UFA in a year? I think he could be had for reasonable price. And would be much greater fit for playing style.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think they will resign ROR. Colorado can't let go of great two-way forwards (especially centers) not with their d-core.

Isn't Vrbata UFA in a year? I think he could be had for reasonable price.

They haven't yet and its been a contentious negotiation so much that he was widely available for trade if I recall. They wanted alot for him.

Again..the point is that we need help at C. Spending big money on a winger will eliminate any chance of that happening.

If you feel confident that Kuz/Bura can be the 2C of the future then fine. But it seems to make more sense to spend those assets/cap space on a more important position.

We have tons of young wingers now and in the pipeline. Wilson/Bura/KUZ/Vrana are all either wingers or naturally suited at wing. MJ is now a full time winger. We have Brouwer signed next year and there is Ovie.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
To be fair, I'm basing that almost entirely on this:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-real-question-about-brent-burns/

Interesting. I spent a good amount of time on the Sharks boards before the TDL. Most seem happy with Burns at D. I was surprised at the number of posters who were ok with moving Vlasic. A surprising number of people also thought Couture could/should be moved. My cousins are sth for the Sharks and they said the same things about Burns/Vlasic/Couture. They're also furious with the TDL. They didn't get better in the near term or long term, traded a bunch of fringe pieces for more fringe pieces and called this season a total waste.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Glad we kept Chimera. He has really increased his intensity and he's always a warrior in the playoffs especially against the Rangers where his speed will come in handy.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Not a fan of the team going back to Schilling on the call up. Is there contractual reasons for this? Would rather see Oleksy or even Kundratek come up.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Glad we kept Chimera. He has really increased his intensity and he's always a warrior in the playoffs especially against the Rangers where his speed will come in handy.

He's been much better as of recent. He almost *ALMOST* works better on that 3rd line than Laich.

Like I've been saying, I'm loving our forward lines set up right now.

Lets see how they fare tonight. Big test.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They're trying to jumpstart Laich with Kuz. Remember EK passing to Chimmer for an easy goal out of doghouse?

Heh, actually Laich-Kuz-Wilson (while being strangely constructed line) should be OK against most lines besides the top ones. Enough skill, enough speed, enough FO ability, defensively responsible forwards. Just getting there on the ice, playing a bit, giving Ovi some rest. What's not to like? Rested Ovi is key :) I mean the key for the 4th line.

Wilson destroying someone in the process is a bonus. Honestly, I hope Latta can be good enough for playoffs too, if we need more heavy lineup. Laich-Latta-Wilson is almost the same offensively :)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He's been much better as of recent. He almost *ALMOST* works better on that 3rd line than Laich.

Like I've been saying, I'm loving our forward lines set up right now.

Lets see how they fare tonight. Big test.

I still have mixed emotions about a few things:

1. I don't hate it but I don't love MJ at 1RW. He's better on the LW.

2. Beagle at 2C is working now. I'm still not sold.

3. Love Chimera lately. His defensive awareness is not as good as Laich's however.

4. Kuznetsov needs to up his game. I liked that WOWY article. Kuz+Ward has been good everytime. Last year under Oates they worked very well the few times they played together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad