Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
7. How do we get Braden Holtby a reliable backup? Is Grubauer the answer or do we shop him for help?

He has excellent numbers in the A and was decent last year when Oates had Holtby in the doghouse. Any reason to doubt his ability to back up? And who of the available backups out there you would rather have?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think we still have only 2 middle-6 lines on our hands.

Bura, Kuz, Wilson - all not ready to form true top-6. One top flight player (UFA/trade) will not change it. So they better just get that player to play as 1RW and continue to develop middle-6 to get real top-6 a year later.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-?
Bura-Kuznetsov-?/Brouwer
GlenX?-?-Brouwer/?
Chimera-Latta-Wilson

Fehr should be the one middle-6 player, another possible bottom-6 player kept could be Beagle. But there is not much space for Beagle if there is Chimmer still. Maybe it will depend on playoff performance and Beagle's desire to stay.

I see a need for 3C. If it's for to say GlenX-Beagle-Brouwer - is it enough to have it in checking role with offensive abilities? If there a center available who could make it more 2 way capable? I think it's not Kuz anyway.

GlenX-Fehr-Brouwer?

Maybe they better trade Leader of Meh to get 1RW and shift Fehr to RW on this line?

GlenX-?-Fehr sounds good enough to me as 3rd line (de facto 2nd for time being, while Kuz and Bura are in the gym). GlenX-Johansson-Fehr anyone? GlenX-Beagle-Fehr?

So you can get Bura-Kuz-Wilson as 3rd in ES TOI + special teams. Is it good enough to let them develop? Can they operate if it's Bura-Kuz-Mojo?

They could place Bura at 1RW to accomodate MJ as 2LW, just to give him top-6 slot... But it's Mojo-Kuz-Brouwer? again and it's not that good. So I'd suggest actually placing Bura with "scoring type line", with Kuz preferably, and then there is no place for Mojo.

Certainly they have enough forwards to field top-12 even without Ward (assuming GlenX is kept). AO, NB, MJ, AB, EK, TB, EF, CG, TW = 9. + Chimera+Laich+Latta. And there is Beagle, Brown, Barber.

So in that light there is no place for 1RW yet. They need to make it.

Options:
- not resigning all UFAs, but all of them are useful (Beagle/Fehr main PK guys too).
- trading one of the less useful forwards (Mojo and Brouwer are assets with some good value) for that 1RW
- dump some of the quasi-useless guys (Laich, Chimera)

Depending on the playoffs performance Mojo's stock will rise or fall to a degree, but I think not that dramatically. You can still sign him and trade a year later if there is no improvement, but that will make just another season with Burakuzson-development as main theme. Aggressively trading Mojo for (example) Eriksson will both help to manage assets and make the team better.

I'd even consider the idea of trading both Mojo and Brouwer and having some cap space to the deadline to get what we need later. That will give enough TOI for Wilson and others, opportunity to step up in a sense.

=>

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Eriksson = top line + PP
Glencross-Beagle-Fehr = checking line + PK + little PP
Burakovsky-Kuznetsov-Wilson = young guns line + PP
Chimera-Latta-IDK = energy line + PK

One could easily make a place for Brouwer in this. Much harder for Mojo.

Shortly, the only option to keep Mojo is to make him top-6 winger for some period of time. His future salary will be just a factor in trading him, it's not that important at all, I think. And I'd prefer him to be traded than being top-6 W.

PS: Eriksson is younger than all of Brouwer, Laich, Fehr, Chimera, Ward, even Semin. He is the perfect type for us, I guess, in that he is already experienced player, and not old yet. Can play with AONB for several years while they're in prime. His health and current performance aside, ofc (which is ~unknown).

PPS: without trades you can also do this
AO-NB-Bura
GX-EK-Fehr
grinders X6

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He has excellent numbers in the A and was decent last year when Oates had Holtby in the doghouse. Any reason to doubt his ability to back up? And who of the available backups out there you would rather have?

I have no doubt he could be a backup but I don't think that's the path that the organization or Grubauer want to/should take.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's not very good for Grubauer development curve to have him sit on the bench while getting 1-2 games in a month.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
It's not very good for Grubauer development curve to have him sit on the bench while getting 1-2 games in a month.

True. But then assuming Holtby is the number one for the foreseeable future, what is Grubauer's NHL career path? He has to start backing up at some point, no?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True. But then assuming Holtby is the number one for the foreseeable future, what is Grubauer's NHL career path? He has to start backing up at some point, no?

The Capitals will not consider him for back up duty until he is no longer waiver exempt to the AHL. At that point they may consider him a better backup option than what is available on the player market and keep him for that.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Grubauer's having an exceptional year at Hershey. Believe his current GAA is .210, save pct .925 with 6 shut outs. Grubauer will be playing in the NHL next season. If he remains with the Caps, I can see him getting more games in net than what Peters has gotten this season which will of course take some of the work load off of Holtby's shoulders.

Still believe that packaging Grubauer with the likes of Marcus Johansson and perhaps plus, and seeking that 2C in the off season might be the best way to go. SJ still remains the target for me. The Sharks seem to be somewhat rich at center but with Niemi being a FA they'll be looking. Logan Couture would be a 2C to consider who's signed for 4 more years after this season at 6 mil a year.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The Capitals will not consider him for back up duty until he is no longer waiver exempt to the AHL. At that point they may consider him a better backup option than what is available on the player market and keep him for that.

Doesn't he lose his waiver exemption next year? If I understand the rules, he signed his contract 3 years ago and exemption rule is 3 years of NHL experience for anyone 23 years-old or older.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Grubauer's having an exceptional year at Hershey. Believe his current GAA is .210, save pct .925 with 6 shut outs. Grubauer will be playing in the NHL next season. If he remains with the Caps, I can see him getting more games in net than what Peters has gotten this season which will of course take some of the work load off of Holtby's shoulders.

Still believe that packaging Grubauer with the likes of Marcus Johansson and perhaps plus, and seeking that 2C in the off season might be the best way to go. SJ still remains the target for me. The Sharks seem to be somewhat rich at center but with Niemi being a FA they'll be looking. Logan Couture would be a 2C to consider who's signed for 4 more years after this season at 6 mil a year.

Yeah, I thought of SJ too when the notion of trade was mentioned. SJ have been rumoured to be interested in getting a goalie around 25 years of age to replace Niemi. They don't seem to think Stalock is the answer. On the other hand I can't see them going with someone so inexperienced as Grubauer as their primary option in net.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Doesn't he lose his waiver exemption next year? If I understand the rules, he signed his contract 3 years ago and exemption rule is 3 years of NHL experience for anyone 23 years-old or older.
He signed his ELC in 2010 and for a 19yo goaltender that gave him five years of waiver-exemption unless he first met the games played threshold. However, he did play junior hockey that season and he has a late bday so it's possible he does still have another year of exemption.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Pavelski/Couture, I could live with either.:laugh:

Pavelski's playoff numbers are quite good.

Why not just grab Toews or Malkin?

Pavelski/Couture are not available for any sane price. No more than Toews or Malkin.

The Sharks will find a way to force Thornton or Marleau into a trade before they move either of those guys.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Pavelski/Couture are not available for any sane price. No more than Toews or Malkin.

The Sharks will find a way to force Thornton or Marleau into a trade before they move either of those guys.

Gotta read the site rules more closely, must have missed the part about opinions and speculation not being permitted.

Seriously, unless you're an NHL insider or work for the Sharks organization you don't know what's available and what is not available. The Sharks over the last five or so years have been about as disappointing as the Capitals. At this writing they are not in the playoffs. That may change and they make the playoffs but even if they do and still don't go very far they'll remain a disappointment. At some point they'll want to make changes and yes Thornton/Marleau are the ones that they would like to move, however they're not the answer to the Caps problem at 2C. SJ is deep at center, from the Capitals standpoint, imho some of the available assets to be discussed with SJ in possible trade talks would be Johansson, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Grubauer and Vrana.

Otherwise the Caps woes at 2C will continue as they have recently
14/15 - Kuznetsov
13/14 - Grabovsky
12/13 - Ribiero
'12 TDL - Arnott

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Did I miss where the GMs in Chicago and Pittsburgh said they were going to rebuild the team? Because I certainly recall Wilson saying major changes are coming to San Jose's roster.

Marleau/Thornton are untradeable; they won't waive. That leaves a few players for them to move if they're actually trying to bring back anything of value. Couture and Pavelski are two such players.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I don't see them moving Couture, but Pavelski isn't exactly a young gun anymore. He'll be 31 to start next year and I'd imagine he'd be more likely to move.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Did I miss where the GMs in Chicago and Pittsburgh said they were going to rebuild the team? Because I certainly recall Wilson saying major changes are coming to San Jose's roster.

Marleau/Thornton are untradeable; they won't waive. That leaves a few players for them to move if they're actually trying to bring back anything of value. Couture and Pavelski are two such players.

Wilson specifically mentioned that Vlasic, Pavelski and Couture are part of the future core. Pavelski is the front runner for their captaincy.

Any player is obtainable. Sure. But don't think you're going to get either of those guys without players like Carlson going the other way. It is going to take massive overpayment to pry those guys out of SJ.

MJ+Grubauer+1st is simply going to get laughed at and I have a feeling that is what we are talking about here. You guys want to pry a top player away from SJ without giving up prime roster pieces.

If you would be willing to trade Carlson for Pavelski then I'm sure they'd listen. But would you want to do that? I would not. Not at all. #1 Dmen are very rare. Espeically young ones who are on great contracts.

Gotta read the site rules more closely, must have missed the part about opinions and speculation not being permitted.

Seriously, unless you're an NHL insider or work for the Sharks organization you don't know what's available and what is not available. The Sharks over the last five or so years have been about as disappointing as the Capitals. At this writing they are not in the playoffs. That may change and they make the playoffs but even if they do and still don't go very far they'll remain a disappointment. At some point they'll want to make changes and yes Thornton/Marleau are the ones that they would like to move, however they're not the answer to the Caps problem at 2C. SJ is deep at center, from the Capitals standpoint, imho some of the available assets to be discussed with SJ in possible trade talks would be Johansson, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Grubauer and Vrana.

Otherwise the Caps woes at 2C will continue as they have recently
14/15 - Kuznetsov
13/14 - Grabovsky
12/13 - Ribiero
'12 TDL - Arnott

Which is why I suggested Malkin or Toews. Since you are no more insider than I we can assume they could be available.

Go big or go home is what I say.

Chicago is in a cap bind. Pittsburgh has underperformed every bit as much as SJ in that time frame including some downright embarrassing playoff meltdowns.

Again Wilson SPECIFICALLY named those two as part of the future core going forward. Thats what I am working off of. Rebuilding teams don't trade guys they mark as part of the future core.

They are trying to make it very uncomfortable for Marleau and Thornton. I maybe wrong but 1 or both of those guys has been stripped of the "C" over the last several years. Missing the playoffs and causing public embarrassment will make at least Thornton reconsider and waive his clause. I suspect he will be a Ranger next season.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

Chicago and Pittsburgh are cup contenders. San Jose isn't. How is an almost 31-year old Pavelski as untouchable as Malkin or Toews? Couture/Hertl/Vlasic/Mueller are the untouchables, not Pavelski.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Chicago and Pittsburgh are cup contenders. San Jose isn't. How is an almost 31-year old Pavelski as untouchable as Malkin or Toews? Couture/Hertl/Vlasic/Mueller are the untouchables, not Pavelski.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/10-points-pavelski-still-favorite-be-next-sharks-captain

Joe Pavelski said on Tuesday morning that he was unaware of a tweet from Sportsnet.ca’s Damien Cox on Monday that the “expectations [are] growing†he’ll be named as Sharks captain at some point this season.

While there may or may not be an internal timeline as to the naming of the next captain, there’s little doubt at this point that it will be Pavelski, based on some conversations I’ve had.

Internally, the former seventh round draft pick is viewed as the guy that it wants younger up-and-coming players like Matt Nieto, Tomas Hertl, Chris Tierney, Mirco Mueller and others to view as a role model. It could happen soon, or it could happen months from now depending on how the team performs, but the next time a Sharks player ends up getting a ‘C’ on his sweater you can just about count on it being the 30-year-old Wisconsin native.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad