Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Buy out Laich number 1

Not resign Mojo number 2. He's not an asset to me he's a square peg in a round hole. I would have made a package around him and our first for Lucic in a heartbeat.

I would have moved Mike Green at the deadline last year for something, anything. He was NOT the difference from this team making the playoffs, beating NY or losing to the NY

A Lucic-Kuznetsov-Burakovsky is a WAY better line then Mojo-Kuz-Brouwer

It's great and all to say "get rid of player X!!!@$$$", but you better have a plan to improve that position.

Who's replacing Mojo? Vrana?!

And now that Fehr probably isn't returning, it looks like that will be Laich's role.

As much as I'd like to dump certain players, you gotta fill or improve those positions. So who are you trading and/or signing?

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
One Martin St Louis, please. I think he'd be a better solution than Sharp and wouldn't cost us the assets. Depends how much it costs us to retain Holtby, Kuzzy and MoJo (although I wouldn't mind it if they traded MoJo).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
One Martin St Louis, please. I think he'd be a better solution than Sharp and wouldn't cost us the assets. Depends how much it costs us to retain Holtby, Kuzzy and MoJo (although I wouldn't mind it if they traded MoJo).

St. Louis is done. I'd rather go with Vrana/Barber/Galiev.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
St. Louis is done. I'd rather go with Vrana/Barber/Galiev.

I don't think he's done. He had exactly as many points as Saad last year in 8 fewer games - and some people want to offer sheet Saad. MSL would be a great fit because he would obviously be a temporary fill-in while those 3 you mentioned got a year or two under their belt so they could be ready for the NHL. Plus, we don't have to give up anything to get him. If we could get him for $5.5 or less (assuming that fits under the cap based on our RFA situation) I think he'd give us a legitimate boost without having to dilute our prospect pool.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I don't think he's done. He had exactly as many points as Saad last year in 8 fewer games - and some people want to offer sheet Saad. MSL would be a great fit because he would obviously be a temporary fill-in while those 3 you mentioned got a year or two under their belt so they could be ready for the NHL. Plus, we don't have to give up anything to get him. If we could get him for $5.5 or less (assuming that fits under the cap based on our RFA situation) I think he'd give us a legitimate boost without having to dilute our prospect pool.

The reason people think he's done is cause he totally ran out of gas down the stretch and especially in the playoffs. Over the last two months of the season and the playoffs, he had 4 goals in 32 games. One goal in 19 playoff games, and it's not like he contributes elsewhere when he's not producing offensively. It's only going to be worse as he gets older. If the goal is to find guys that'll help us in April and May, he's not our man.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
sharp for mojo? Clear salary and upgrade RW.

OV - bk - sharp
Bura - kuznetsov - Brouwer
Laich - UFA - wilson
Chim- latta - beagle

Last edited:

tmljeh19*

It's great and all to say "get rid of player X!!!@$$$", but you better have a plan to improve that position.

Who's replacing Mojo? Vrana?!

And now that Fehr probably isn't returning, it looks like that will be Laich's role.

As much as I'd like to dump certain players, you gotta fill or improve those positions. So who are you trading and/or signing?

Did you not read anything I wrote? I said I would have centered a package around him and our first for Lucic....TO REPLACE HIM...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
There are reports Tikhonov will shrink his list of potential teams to 5. Caps could be among them, I guess. Not a bad option in theory. C/W, PK, mobile. Can play at any line.

Bad last season for him, but could be for personal reasons obviously.

Low risk overall. Better player than say Latta anyway.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Interesting that Beagle mentions in his conference call today that he thought that the line of Glencross-Beagle-Brouwer had something going

that line could be back together for the start of the season ... not a terrible 3rd line

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Interesting that Beagle mentions in his conference call today that he thought that the line of Glencross-Beagle-Brouwer had something going

that line could be back together for the start of the season ... not a terrible 3rd line

I doubt we'll resign Glencross. The reason we got him was because he was displeased with his role in Calgary and that he wasn't in the top 6. So I doubt he's coming back after being scratched in the playoffs too. I'd be surprised if he did, but he is better than Brouwer/Laich.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hate that contenders blindly keep all UFAs. But GMs do it and they are the experts cough Sweeney so fans accept them as such.

But Calgary was competing and yet shopped Glencross. That could have been a red flag to the hammock hermit. At least, to not overpay in the form of multiple picks.

Last edited:

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I doubt we'll resign Glencross. The reason we got him was because he was displeased with his role in Calgary and that he wasn't in the top 6. So I doubt he's coming back after being scratched in the playoffs too. I'd be surprised if he did, but he is better than Brouwer/Laich.

as time has marched on I can't help but think his value has nose-dived and we possibly could be in a position to get a bargain with Glencross now ... I could see him signing a 2x2 deal or something and if he played his best would be great for us

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I hate that contenders blindly keep all UFAs. But GMs do it and they are the experts cough Sweeney so fans accept them such.

But Calgary was competing and yet shopped Glencross. That could have been a red flag to the hammock hermit. At least, to not overpay in the form of multiple picks.

Glencross wanted out. Same with St Louis the year before.

GMs on contenders don't ever shop UFAs (and downgrade in order to acquire futures) unless that player is a locker room problem or just wants out.

Can you name a time that this happened when it wasn't due to a disgruntled player?

BMac needs to be on the phone with Boston before they wake up from their head injury or whatever it is going on up there

I guess if Eriksson was cheap it wouldn't hurt. It would appease the masses here thats for sure.

Just saw $1.75m for Beagle. And 3 ****ing years. Let me guess he also has a ****ing NTC.

What??

This is a solid deal. Remember Hendricks and guys like Prust got 4 years and a higher cap hit when the salary cap was much lower than it is this year. Boyd Gordon too and Beagle is better than all of them.

Beagle would have easily gotten a 4th year at the same price or more if he went UFA.

The guys work ethic is contagious, he's big, wins draws, finishes his checks and comes to play in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
- Sharp
+ Glencross for moderate money

= banking of cap space, big time

That will give
1) veteran 2-way winger who got smth to prove (I guess we can expect around 15 goals in full season anyway)
2) more TOI for Wilson and Bura with less pressure
3) still potent position at the deadline

I can totally see that as better option than to overpay for Williams 5x5 (who could end up in the same 3rd line or worse but with an albatross of a contract)

With GlenX's newborn and his costly mistake I'd bet he will sign for cheap if there is not much interest from elsewhere.

That's a solid option in my eyes. Not much worse than some Winnik guy. Also he should play PK too.

Checks too many boxes actually :)

The true year for All In is the next one (2016-17) anyway.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
And I want Vrana to play full season in the AHL to become fully adapted for NA style of play and to have 3 more years of ELC after it. That could become critical.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Negative on Glencross

He just wasn't a fit here for whatever reason and spent alot of time in the doghouse. He won't want to come back and we probably don't want him anyhow.

With the imminent departure of Fehr we may focus on a 3C instead of a 1RW.

Stoll, in light of his recent legal issues, should come cheaper if the Caps want to take a chance.

Sharp just makes too much and the Hawks want too much for him.

I'd rather keep our cap space for UFA period next year when guys like ROR and Okposo hit the market.

Get a 1 year place holder or just ride the young guys at RW

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not interested in bringing Glencross back.

I doubt that ROR hits the market. Buffalo will be super aggressive in keeping him after giving up Zadorov. Nor do I want to spend 8M on him, which is what he was asking for in Colorado.

This is a solid deal. Remember Hendricks and guys like Prust got 4 years and a higher cap hit when the salary cap was much lower than it is this year. Boyd Gordon too and Beagle is better than all of them.

Beagle is definitely the worst of those four players.

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
We need an impact player, not Curtis Glencross.

Laich should be waived today for the purposes of a buyout. Time is up, no one is taking that deal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Negative on Glencross

He just wasn't a fit here for whatever reason and spent alot of time in the doghouse. He won't want to come back and we probably don't want him anyhow.

With the imminent departure of Fehr we may focus on a 3C instead of a 1RW.

Stoll, in light of his recent legal issues, should come cheaper if the Caps want to take a chance.

Sharp just makes too much and the Hawks want too much for him.

I'd rather keep our cap space for UFA period next year when guys like ROR and Okposo hit the market.

Get a 1 year place holder or just ride the young guys at RW

This is pretty much what I was saying a month ago when we did our projected lines for next year and some scoffed at the prospect of so much youth in the lineup. There's plenty of reason to go that way for at least one year and get some guys some ice time and see what you have. They did it for Wilson, Kuz and Bura this year and they'll probably do more of it with other guys next season, especially with the FA crop coming up. Pretty sound approach that just happens to unfortunately and potentially burn another year of Ovechkin's viability...but the return the following year could be greater. I think we're in the midst of a 3 year plan. lol

I don't think we're going to see a cat and mouse game with Fehr and Ward. They're probably gone. But I do think they want a temporary 1RW in the 5M to 5.5M range. The rest of the roster will be budget with some flexibility at the TDL in case there's a serious need.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Penguins, like other teams are in trade mode today. If a deal is made likely takes then out of ufa market. Nothing imminent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad