Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIV (TDL Poll: Who Goes?) **MOD WARNING POST #547**

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Yeah, Detroit and Anaheim stand out as not having done anything on their blueline yet. Phaneuf is still out there. Hejda & Michalek could help some teams defensively. That seems like the only names that are top four types still available.

Gleason minus Hillen & Volpatti is a wash. Glencross minus Schilling adds about $2M so maybe there's $2M to work with, assuming Orlov is on LTIR. Maybe they could send Burakovsky down to add to that a bit. These extra roster spots being open may be as simple as thinning the roster as much as possible and then relying on emergency recalls when needed rather than carrying them and rotating guys. Now is the time for Trotz to stick with a lineup and set lines anyway.

I'd bet that Phaneuf either goes to Detroit or Dallas by the end of the day.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So pretty much Atkinson or Beleskey.
They could throw in Chimera and salary rentention from other teams increases flexibility a bit.

There's a little more flexibility than I thought but part of that depends on their plans with Burakovsky and the extra roster spots. They do have a couple of three game road trips left so they'll likely need a seventh defenseman at least so that's another $550-625k. Some room...not much.
I posted a proposal yesterday but some here didn't like it. You have to look at what's SJ needs and start in net. Niemi will be a UFA and they certainly don't want him back, so Grubauer would have to be part of the package we could send.

Pavelski's cap hit is 6 million and he's signed for 4 more years, so with the Caps current cap situation, according to NHL Numbers we currently have about 1.6 in cap space they'll need to send back salary that will make this work and players the Sharks may want. Johansson and Kuznetsov's are two RFAs who currently combined cap is 4.8.
I believe their combined cap hit is $2.9M so Chimera would have to be added. Three roster players out? Very doubtful.

Last edited:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I posted a proposal yesterday but some here didn't like it. You have to look at what's SJ needs and start in net. Niemi will be a UFA and they certainly don't want him back, so Grubauer would have to be part of the package we could send.

Pavelski's cap hit is 6 million and he's signed for 4 more years, so with the Caps current cap situation, according to NHL Numbers we currently have about 1.6 in cap space they'll need to send back salary that will make this work and players the Sharks may want. Johansson and Kuznetsov's are two RFAs who currently combined cap is 4.8. So sending those two back would make it work cap wise. Even with those three players going back, I'd think the Sharks would still want more but I wouldn't want to give up our '15 first rounder, rather I'd offer the '14 first rounder, Vrana.

People need to look at Pavelski's playoff numbers, 81 GP, 26 G, 30 A.

So Grubauer, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Vrana for Pavelski.
Boy, that's a steep price to pay. One could make the argument that the Caps won't need Grubauer once they lock up Holtby. Pavelski would be replacing Kuz at 2C, Johansson will be getting a big bump in salary next year so he won't be cheap any longer and he really doesn't have a defined role, and Vrana is a couple years away from contributing, so he would be expendable in a win-now situation.

If they could swing a Pavelski trade along with my pie-in-the-sky Semin/Laich swap, they could end up with two actual scoring lines.

Ovi-Nick-Glencross (Knuble'ish' 3rd wheel)
Semin-Pavelski-Brouwer(meh on 20's playoff resume, but it is what it is)
Chimera-Fehr-Ward (hopefully find that chemistry again)
Latta-Beagle-Wilson (agitator/energy guys)

That's a tough, veteran-heavy lineup along with the solid D-corps and Holtby. They'd be a tough out, that's for sure.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
hey question, sorry if this is a simple answer. but doesnt the cap go away after the trade deadline or is it just playoffs? im having a brain fart this morning
IIRC, the roster limit goes away after the deadline. The salary cap is still in effect until the playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
@TSNBobMcKenzie: I'll be curious to see if SJS and/or EDM are able to do anything today in terms of addressing long-term goaltending needs. #TradeCentre

Have yourselves a Grubauer and give us something good, plz.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
is our first rounder in play? wouldnt see why not just not sure if thats what caps are thinking

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yeah, Detroit and Anaheim stand out as not having done anything on their blueline yet. Phaneuf is still out there. Hejda & Michalek could help some teams defensively and Zidlicky maybe as a depth/PP guy. That seems like the only names that are top four types still available.

Gleason minus Hillen & Volpatti is a wash. Glencross minus Schilling adds about $2M so maybe there's $2M to work with, assuming Orlov is on LTIR. Maybe they could send Burakovsky down to add to that a bit. These extra roster spots being open may be as simple as thinning the roster as much as possible and then relying on emergency recalls when needed rather than carrying them and rotating guys. Now is the time for Trotz to stick with a lineup and set lines anyway.

Vancouver is another one. They have wanted RHD PPQB for years, and the need is even more desperate this season. They are still in a playoff spot but both Bieksa and Edler are still injured, and both Hamhuis and Tanev has had some injury problems this season.

They had tons of interest in Myers but the deal collapsed because Sabres demanded either Horvat or Virtanen in the deal.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
only thing im worried about with grubauer is next year. we can bring peters back as he has one more year but now outside of copeley we really dont have someone to replace peters should he stink again; just a thought

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
that is way way too much ... fair suck of the sav :rant:

You might be right on them wanting Grubi, good point

Grubi, Vrana, Mojo, 2015 1st ... are we close ? ok, 2016 3rd
Too many quantity and not enough quality, IMO. I imagine SJ would want something better as the center piece.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
only thing im worried about with grubauer is next year. we can bring peters back as he has one more year but now outside of copeley we really dont have someone to replace peters should he stink again; just a thought
They just need an adequate guy to fill in for 15 games a year. Peters flopped, but there are other options out there to fill that spot next year. The extra year is bad, but he can be sent to Hershey and only $25K would count against the cap if I'm remembering the numbers correctly.

There's no way the backup goaltending position should hold up a trade.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Out of curiousity - since Laich has 2 years left at 4.5 million and Chimmer another year at 2 million.... would you guys trade Laich, Chimera + our 3rd rd pick for a 7th rd pick just to remove the salaries?

I actually would.... frees up a lot of money over the next couple seasons and the chance of a 3rd rd pick being THAT VALUABLE I think is pretty low.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Out of curiousity - since Laich has 2 years left at 4.5 million and Chimmer another year at 2 million.... would you guys trade Laich, Chimera + our 3rd rd pick for a 7th rd pick just to remove the salaries?

I actually would.... frees up a lot of money over the next couple seasons and the chance of a 3rd rd pick being THAT VALUABLE I think is pretty low.

well in the summer maybe, not now lol

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@DennisTFP: Looks like Kings Justin Williams in play. Nothing imminent.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
They just need an adequate guy to fill in for 15 games a year. Peters flopped, but there are other options out there to fill that spot next year. The extra year is bad, but he can be sent to Hershey and only $25K would count against the cap if I'm remembering the numbers correctly.

There's no way the backup goaltending position should hold up a trade.

true but if we are getting another big contract there isnt gonna be a lot of money to throw to a good backup

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

Imagine yourself as the GM on the receiving end of that deal. Would you add $11M in salary for a pick that has pretty low value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille