Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIII (Trade Deadline 2015 Target Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Well if he's going to put his job ahead of his team's best interest, I hope we're first in line to talk to him.

It's either trade Pavelski/Burns, or get bent over at the negotiating table on a Thornton/Marleau deal. We already saw how Vancouver got shafted by Kesler's NTC. Doubtful they could spark a real rebuild off the assets they got by trading either Patty or Big Joe. Continuing down the current route is not doing anything for that franchise. Selling high on Pavelski may well be the best move for the team's interest.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
At this point, the Caps need a good player. Size/grit/whatever should be secondary concerns to talent, which is the variable they lack.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Trading Pavelski would get Wilson fired for sure. They are close to playoff spot and Pavelski is the fans darling and currently the best player on the San Jose roster. Take him out of the roster and they get considerably worse, and are still stuck with Marleau and Thornton so they still can't really rebuild.

Shocked if Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns or Couture go anywhere. Doug Wilson just said week ago that he thinks they are playoff team and will address the deadline accordingly.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
This is my favorite part of the season, the trade deadline. Coming down to the season's end before the playoffs :yo:

so many different outcomes and possibilities that could happen.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
If Pavelski was available it would take a massive overpayment.

You'd have to think almost every team would be inquiring. Ultimately raising demand and the price to something stupid.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Even if he traded Pavelski, I doubt we have enough parts to construct the best return package. Johansson and his zone entries aren't good enough.

Imagine GMBM would trade Backstrom. How many really good pieces you would want to get for him? Pavelski is right there, almost.

Timonen is still not worth it. Big caphit, not that big difference given his projected 3rd pair role. We will just make another hole in offense.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Even if he traded Pavelski, I doubt we have enough parts to construct the best return package. Johansson and his zone entries aren't good enough.

Imagine GMBM would trade Backstrom. How many really good pieces you would want to get for him? Pavelski is right there, almost.

Timonen is still not worth it. Big caphit, not that big difference given his projected 3rd pair role. We will just make another hole in offense.

a current top 6 roster player, a top end prospect and a 1st probably? :shakehead

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Sucks Schmidt and Orlov aren't going to be back before Monday in all likelihood.

Chibi : I did read a quote saying Schmidt was planning on being ready to play this weekend and would be shocked if he couldn't.

:dunno: not that it matters much I guess.

Edit* It may have meant a game for the bears.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Even if both Orlov and Schmidt are in Wednesday it doesn't change anything. Too late.

The plan has to be "Mike Green the ultimate injury depth + one of Hillen/Schmidt/Schilling/Orlov". It does make sense.

PS: I don't think this thread lasts long. Thursday maximum.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would be willing to offer up Kuznetsov or Burakovsky in a heartbeat for Pavelski. Add in our 1st, some salary moving the other way (Ward/Brouwer), and a prospect.

Timonen has a $2M cap hit. The rest is bonuses.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would be willing to offer up Kuznetsov or Burakovsky in a heartbeat for Pavelski. Add in our 1st, some salary moving the other way (Ward/Brouwer), and a prospect.

Timonen has a $2M cap hit. The rest is bonuses.

I think last time we agreed that his probable caphit will be around 2,75M. And we have zero atm. And a glaring need of F upgrade. Tough to execute.

Kuz + Vrana + 1st for Pavelski? Would you do it? Btw, it's another 3M+ of caphit immediately.

I think Kuz holds more value for us. SJ could consider him enigmatic weak finesse euro :) Our 1st could be bad one. Idk if that's the best package anyway. And it's already tough for us.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
With the way Burakovsky is being handled, I worry he'll be traded.

based on previous quotes, it doesn't seem he will be.. Unless it's an offer they have to take. If that's the case I'm fine with it, but let's not turn this into a dumpster dive like McPhee did with Forsberg. (I still blame Oates mostly)

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think last time we agreed that his probable caphit will be around 2,75M. And we have zero atm. And a glaring need of F upgrade. Tough to execute.

Kuz + Vrana + 1st for Pavelski? Would you do it? Btw, it's another 3M+ of caphit immediately.

I wouldn't because we still don't fill all the holes. You play Pavs on 2c at that point? still garbage wingers.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Thornton and Marleau have NMCs.
They aren't trading Couture, Hertl, or Nieto.
Pavelski is already 30.
Wilson needs to do something to save his job. He promised a rebuild, and didn't deliver. The team isn't any more competitive this season, either. Pavelski and Burns are the most movable assets they have that can provide a significant return.

Are you suggesting that he'd take a page from the George McPhee book on General Managing. :laugh:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's either trade Pavelski/Burns, or get bent over at the negotiating table on a Thornton/Marleau deal. We already saw how Vancouver got shafted by Kesler's NTC. Doubtful they could spark a real rebuild off the assets they got by trading either Patty or Big Joe. Continuing down the current route is not doing anything for that franchise. Selling high on Pavelski may well be the best move for the team's interest.

IMO the best interest of the franchise is not to get rid of an asset you want to keep just because you can get the best return, it is to get rid of the assets you don't want anymore and get what you can for them. Sure they aren't going to get as much for Thornton and Marleau as they would if they didn't have NTC's but it isn't like they aren't going to get something for them.

Dealing away Pavleski but keeping Thornton and Marleau accomplishes very little IMO.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Bura can still win some playoff games for us. Imagine he's 4LW, some benching during the game, then OT or 2... and boom! he's getting some ice against 3rd pair and there is solid D behind him.

He can do some things with speed and it could be a problem for the opponent. 1st season and already one of the better options for 1RW for current roster. I think he's untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad