Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LXII (Arbitration MADNESS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
true but this was after the arbitration hearing so im guessing he must have had a great argument as they were easily a million apart (nashville offered 3 mil)

im just worried that arbitration will increase johannsson by a mil

If he signs for over 4 I'd say one step forward two steps back in regards to this off season. Holtby's deal will make this alot more interesting

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's two RFA seasons included in Smith's extension so $3.75M & $4M doesn't really shift the landscape for Johansson at all. If it goes it arb all along signs pointed to somewhere in the $3.5-4M range. That backs that up and hopefully sets a limit.

Washington may want to sign Johansson for $3M just like Nashville did Smith but that's not going to happen.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That was the whole premise of the argument. If you ask me to swap out MJ for JVR sure. But when you start adding the likes of Vrana, Bowey or a 1st (or even 2 of the 3 which has been mentioned) then thats just dumb.

I'd take JVR for MJ sure. Its not as big of an upgrade as you think it is. JVR is bigger but doesn't use his size. MJ is faster. JVR is the better goal scorer but a worse defender. In fact he's a bad defensive player period.

Exactly. This makes no sense.

Look up MJs shooting percentage that year.

Every other year MJ has been about 15% give or take. That year he was like 6%. Thats an outlier.

Look, it's pretty obvious. Let's go back 5 seasons, makes this a "real" sample size.

MaJo has 46 ES goals in 345 games. So .133/game

JVR has 76 ES goals in 328 games. So .232/game

Slice it any way you want, JVR is the far better ES goal scorer...almost by a factor of 2. MaJo has been on top lines petty much his entire career, so we can't say that an impediment.

Look at it logically, without our homer glasses, and JVR would be a nice (significant?) upgrade over MaJo. It is what it is.

Doesn't mean I'd want to pay premium prices for that upgrade, but like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't think Caps would pay it. If the tire kicking allows them to trade players they feel are redundant (as Copley was), then they should be all over it.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I think it's two RFA seasons included in Smith's extension so $3.75M & $4M doesn't really shift the landscape for Johansson at all. If it goes it arb all along signs pointed to somewhere in the $3.5-4M range. That backs that up and hopefully sets a limit.

Washington may want to sign Johansson for $3M just like Nashville did Smith but that's not going to happen.

Oh yeah, I was looking at years under contract and didn't notice Smith was 25. Even better then.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'm hoping this means we can keep mojo under 4. Something like 3.75-3.9-4.1 over the next 3. But I usually miss read these arbitration hearings

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Galiev is currently vacationing in Vietnam, and he is experimenting with some awfully bizarre foods. He ate a still-beating cobra heart, and drank a shot of that same cobras blood. He got a round of applause for his accomplishment

:amazed:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I will give it another go!

:leafs...................:caps

Vrana.........................Van Riemsdyk
Laich
1st 2016

Leafs gain 2 valuable pieces for their rebuild while taking on a veteran leader that help lead the kids. Caps prospect depth get somewhat depleted, but they'll have plenty of time to re-stock since no one in the top-9 is UFA for another two years. And only Williams might be to old to re-sign by then. Barber/Galiev/Brown/Stephenson can surely handle short time stints in the line up for this season in case of injury.

-----------------
:flyers...................:caps

Johansson.......................B. Schenn

Philly get a more natural LW, which is a position of weakness for them. Schenn has been moved around in the line up whitout really finding a home, but has looked most comfortable as a C or RW where Philly is pretty set in the top-6. And a line of Johansson-Couturier-Simmonds looks pretty good on paper!

Caps get a 3C with upside and save some cap space. Schenn would fit very nicely with Burakovsky and Wilson on the 3rd line.
----------------------
Caps could then ice:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Van Riemsdyk-Backstrom-Williams
Burakovsky-Schenn-Wilson
Chimera-Latta-Beagle
Brown-Galiev

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Schmidt-Orlov
Chorney

Holtby
Grubauer

https://www.hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/21607
(in this lay out Caps only send a 2nd to Toronto, should be the 1st as I wrote above)

and they'll have 2,6M in cap space as an addition to that line up (which makes me all tingly inside).

If the management feels insecure about icing such a young 3rd line and worry about match ups, they might want one real shut down line. Then they could still probably sign Fehr for a year for the 4th line and move Beagle back to C. If he signs for less then 2M, Caps would still have over 1M in cap space (since on of the kids would get sent down and save another 600k.

That cap space would probably be enough for a veteran D UFA-to-be pick up at the deadline for the 3rd pair.

Schenn and Wilson would need new contracts after the season, but Chimera and Fehr outgoing contracts, plus the likely 3,5M increase of the cap ceiling would easily make that possible.

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don't get the fascination for JVR. He's alright but I really don't see the need for him. Moving Johansson for him and then forcing Burakovsky into a lesser role is a marginal improvement at best. In fact, I think MJ is the better possession player and a much better defensive player, but I'll let someone else look up the stats. And if we are moving our best future assets like 1st round picks or Vrana/Bowey, I would want a better player than JVR.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
11050829_735679926558873_2522024539870148342_n.jpg

We missed out on getting Latta and Wilson another dad :laugh:

bWo*

If we're moving a package that includes pieces like vrana/bowey/1st I'd want to go after someone like Pavelski

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
And now csn (most likely from gormley) is discussing that holtby may hold out and not sign anything for a better deal? Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad