Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LXII (Arbitration MADNESS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
So, holtby believed to be asking for 6.5 or more, and mojo 4mil+. Damn

How does this arbitration process work anyway, an arbitrator is able to award holtby the amount he wants?

Arbitrator picks an amount that they think is appropriate. Historically there has not been any consistency in it. By that I mean its not always what the player wants or not always what the team wants I think of the Big 4 sports the NHL arbitration is the best and most fair. Also fun note that could come into play with MOJO the walkaway number for a team is $3.8 and higher. This means that the team can walk away and allow the player to go to UFA if they don't want to pay that much. Let MOJO walk sign Boyes the guy is a consistent center who would be good with Willy and Laich

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No way Mojo is allowed to walk if the Caps can fit him under the cap. The more likely situation if the number is too high is they trade him for whatever they can get, if not a replacement. If no replacement then they find one via trade or UFA at their price.

No reason to ditch him for nothing if you can find a trade partner. He has years of NHL viability left and the ruling won't be so high that he can't be moved.

ryan519*

I liked the idea of Hanzal earlier. I wonder if they could pry him away for Mojo+Carrick

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Ten days from his arb hearing, no change with Marcus Johansson & the Caps. As reported, agent emailed saying they're preparing for July 29.

That said, don't be surprised if the sides need a hearing to settle. Still separated on money, more than Caps and Holtby last I heard.
per Prewitt

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Arbitrator picks an amount that they think is appropriate. Historically there has not been any consistency in it. By that I mean its not always what the player wants or not always what the team wants I think of the Big 4 sports the NHL arbitration is the best and most fair. Also fun note that could come into play with MOJO the walkaway number for a team is $3.8 and higher. This means that the team can walk away and allow the player to go to UFA if they don't want to pay that much. Let MOJO walk sign Boyes the guy is a consistent center who would be good with Willy and Laich

Boyes is a winger. He seems to be decent at faceoffs, but that doesn't make him a center any more than it did Brouwer or Ward.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm still baffled at the fact that there's so much discussion for acquiring ANOTHER top 6 forward.

For a 6th/7th forward (pending Burakovsky's development) we could do a hell of a lot worse than Mojo. For all the talk of how our new top 6 depth will effect the performances of 8/19/92, people seem to just gloss over the fact that it will positively impact Johansson's game as well.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I'm still baffled at the fact that there's so much discussion for acquiring ANOTHER top 6 forward.

For a 6th/7th forward (pending Burakovsky's development) we could do a hell of a lot worse than Mojo. For all the talk of how our new top 6 depth will effect the performances of 8/19/92, people seem to just gloss over the fact that it will positively impact Johansson's game as well.

if your talking about eklund, then just know hes never right and jvr wont happen

if your talking about people here, most of use dont know how to react with him as the #7 as having good top 6 is new to us all :)

PB12

Jul 7, 2015

I said take it with a grain of salt. However he did connect us to our pickups this offseason.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

That's not obvious, IMO.

MJ had the benefit of playing with Ovi, Backstrom, Kuz, even Bura last year. Hard to expect that Williams and Oshie are the missing pieces to bring the Zetterberg out of him.

On the other hand, Ovi, Backstrom, Kuz & Bura were playing with MJ. So for them, sure, Oshie (and Williams) could be a significant upgrade :)

If you're saying that MJ is gonna kill opposition as a 3rd liner playing with the likes of Laich and Beagle, well, I'll believe it when I see it :)

I do see as a positive that the arrival of hopefully two legit top-6 options is going to give Trotz more options to find good line combos and then maybe some combo with MJ finally clicks better than before. But IMO that's about as likely as top-6 clicking without MJ, and MJ being an average 3rd liner.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
That's not obvious, IMO.

MJ had the benefit of playing with Ovi, Backstrom, Kuz, even Bura last year. Hard to expect that Williams and Oshie are the missing pieces to bring the Zetterberg out of him.

On the other hand, Ovi, Backstrom, Kuz & Bura were playing with MJ. So for them, sure, Oshie (and Williams) could be a significant upgrade :)

If you're saying that MJ is gonna kill opposition as a 3rd liner playing with the likes of Laich and Beagle, well, I'll believe it when I see it :)

I do see as a positive that the arrival of hopefully two legit top-6 options is going to give Trotz more options to find good line combos and then maybe some combo with MJ finally clicks better than before. But IMO that's about as likely as top-6 clicking without MJ, and MJ being an average 3rd liner.

I don't think it will bring the Zetterberg out of him, but going into the season being the 6th/7th best forward is putting him in a much better position to succeed than going into the season with him as our 3rd best forward.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think it will bring the Zetterberg out of him, but going into the season being the 6th/7th best forward is putting him in a much better position to succeed than going into the season with him as our 3rd best forward.

I can see that maybe if he's on a 2nd line that's (almost) as good as the first but playing against weaker opposition; certainly not if he's playing with grinders on the 3rd line.

I dunno.. I'll get excited about MJ when some line finally looks clearly better with him than without him. 'Till then, the Caps are basically paying for potential.. It's an ok deal as long as the salary is low. But if he gets 4M+, he needs to have a real impact, give you a reason to miss him when he's not in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad