Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LXI ‎(FA sorta-Frenzy 2015) (Ward to SJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I suppose I am on the only one who wouldn't mind a 1 year redemption type contract for Mike Richards? If he could find his game he could still be a good third line center.

I thought this as well until the Oxycontin stuff started coming out. I'd wait to how the dust settles on that and see how severe it actually is..

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
I suppose I am on the only one who wouldn't mind a 1 year redemption type contract for Mike Richards? If he could find his game he could still be a good third line center.

He JUST got caught at the border with Oxy after being given a second chance in LA and now he's under police investigation. Is that really the type of guy you want in the locker room around younger players like Wilson and Burakovsky?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Post deleted. Don't post rumors about drug use. See the site libel rules.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
SO the main difference of people added into our starting lineup this year (as of now) will be Williams, Oshie, Schmidt, and Orlov.

The guys who won't be here from last year that were in our starting lineup most of the time are Green, Brouwer, Ward, Fehr, and Gleason

I know people are really stoked on things right now - but am I the only one that doesn't consider it a major upgrade? Sure, I think we're a playoff team still, but we replaced 60 regular season goal forwards for 40 regulars season goal forwards - and have a less proven/higher risk defense. Considering goal scoring was a huge problem for us in the playoffs, I'm a bit worried. Williams has been a beast in the playoffs, but Ward has also done really well too.

I still think the key of 2015-2016 is Kuzy and Burro. If they take a major leap, we're going to be in great shape. If they're playing like they did last year or maybe even just a little bit better, I'm not sure we're and elite team just yet - or any better than we were last year.

I don't know. GMBM seems to be getting a lot of praise right now.... and I think his deals/trades were definitely good. However, on paper I think Williams/Oshie/Schmidt/Orlov is not much better/any more impressive than Ward/Brouwer/Fehr/Green/Gleason. Not the "next step" better at least.

Someone give me optimism on this and tell me something convincing that we are a lot better this season! :)

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
My only concern about Orlov is him getting his feet wet for the first portion of the season. It was his wrist that caused him problems.. There will be no issues with conditioning. The kid would of been watching film and all the other aspects that go along with learning would be covered. Getting back up to pace and having 100% confidence in his shot will take a bit of time. The only one that really stands out between the addition/subtraction comparison above is Green. Green is obviously more skilled than Orlov and Schmidt plus his 10 years experience. Williams and Oshie have better quality playoff experience then Ward/Fehr/Green combined. Think about it, Williams won the cup 3 times. They played 3 game 7 series against hard teams in 2014. The Blues have had their upsetting playoff exits, but look at the teams they were losing out to. 2012 - LA (won the cup), 2013 loss to LA. LA with back to back Conference finals appearances, only to lose to Chicago though. 2014 loss to Chicago who faces LA in the conference final again. Not really trying to defend the Blues, but their competition in recent years has been strong.

Edit: Minnesota was also a half decent team this year, but not the caliber of their previous playoff disappointments IMO. Minnesota has been impressive this year and kind of a Cinderella story.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
SO the main difference of people added into our starting lineup this year (as of now) will be Williams, Oshie, Schmidt, and Orlov.

The guys who won't be here from last year that were in our starting lineup most of the time are Green, Brouwer, Ward, Fehr, and Gleason

I know people are really stoked on things right now - but am I the only one that doesn't consider it a major upgrade? Sure, I think we're a playoff team still, but we replaced 60 regular season goal forwards for 40 regulars season goal forwards - and have a less proven/higher risk defense. Considering goal scoring was a huge problem for us in the playoffs, I'm a bit worried. Williams has been a beast in the playoffs, but Ward has also done really well too.

I still think the key of 2015-2016 is Kuzy and Burro. If they take a major leap, we're going to be in great shape. If they're playing like they did last year or maybe even just a little bit better, I'm not sure we're and elite team just yet - or any better than we were last year.

I don't know. GMBM seems to be getting a lot of praise right now.... and I think his deals/trades were definitely good. However, on paper I think Williams/Oshie/Schmidt/Orlov is not much better/any more impressive than Ward/Brouwer/Fehr/Green/Gleason. Not the "next step" better at least.

Someone give me optimism on this and tell me something convincing that we are a lot better this season! :)
Keep in mind the cap math. One can't just say Orlov is a step down from Green. Orlov at $2M is a better use of cap space than Green at $6M. Keeping Green for an extra $4M means that money has to come from somewhere else. Perhaps Wilson is jammed into a top 6 role since they couldn't afford Williams. Perhaps Holtby is signed to a short bridge deal that burns the team in 2 years ala Subban or is traded altogether ala Dougie Hamilton.

You can't do a blind comparison of talent out vs. talent in. You also can't look at just this season. Ward for 3 seasons means less money for Kuz's next deal. Brouwer's playoff performance has to be considered. As much as I like him, Fehr's injury history needs to be a factor.

Offseason evaluation should be holistic. The team is fairly well-positioned from a cap standpoint and has added players that should fit well in the team's current philosophy. There's a lot to like about what GMBM has done so far.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014

Caps lost three solid 3rd line players (Fehr, Ward, Brouwer), a top 4 defenseman (Green), and a marginal 3rd pair defenseman (Gleason). They replaced them with two top 6 forwards (Williams, Oshie) and two 3rd pair defensemen (Schmidt, Orlov)... plus we still have four top 4 defensemen.

Caps have gotten more skilled overall and the roster is much more balanced that it has ever been during Ovechkin's career, IMO. Though I agree that Kuznetsov and Burakovsky are key.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It hasn't changed since a few days ago.

The top six got better.
The bottom six got worse.

The top four is the same.
The bottom pairing is unproven.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Love the forward balance in the top six now. Burakovsky and Kuznetsov will have to take that next step....but they are in a great position now with 2 established top six wingers to play on the other side. The bottom six has plenty of questions...but enough decent players to figure it out between now and camp.

Orlov is my biggest question mark for the team at this point. If he's 100% and can play like he did before his injury....the defense will be as good if not better than last season.

Will he reach Green's 45 points and +15? It wouldnt surprise me if he did.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Listen to:

It hasn't changed since a few days ago.

The top six got better.
The bottom six got worse.

The top four is the same.
The bottom pairing is unproven.

So yeah, bottom-6 got worse, but it should be much easier to improve or to mask, and if the additions improve top-6 chemistry, the effect could/should be much greater than just addition/subtraction of individual stats.

Much better balance overall, any existing holes are of the type that can be reasonably plugged at the deadline.

Just one or two questionable contracts are likely to remain.

Good stuff!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The thing is, a majority of people would have complained if they had brought back ward,fehr and green and done nothing else. Its one way or the other (letting those guys go and getting Williams/oshie )

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
They need to decide what they want with the identity of the 3rd and 4th lines.

Do they want a checking/grinding 3rd and a offensive 4th...or an offensive 3rd and a banging/grinding 4th....or two checking lines?

Right now...they have two/three checking centers in Beagle/Latta and Laich (if you want to say hes a center)...two checking forwards in Chimera and Wilson...and then one of Mojo and Burakovsky...then whoever else (Galiev?).

I guess it depends on how they feel about Latta and if he can handle the 4th line center full time.

Mojo/Bura - Beagle - Wilson
Chimera - Latta - Laich

or

Mojo/Bura - Laich - Galiev
Chimera - Beagle - Wilson

or something.

To me...moving Mojo out for a more physical PK'ing type young forward makes the most sense...but I have no idea who that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad