Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LXI ‎(FA sorta-Frenzy 2015) (Ward to SJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Count me in the minority that thinks Mojo still has significant upside....
I'm kinda there with you. I've been saying for a while that with significant strength gains, he could be really good. But we've been waiting five seasons on those gains. It's tough to keep a 6th year NHL pro on upside when you've got a limited window of Ovechkin's prime.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He has upside but will he give the effort needed to get there?

Count me in the minority that thinks once MJ signs his fat contract, he is going to play like a fat cat. Yes the physical MJ we saw in flashes late in the season will be gone until he is a pending FA once again. Grossly under performing offensive players is common league wide and at some point can be predicted.

This one may hurt. I get the sense BMac knows it based on seemingly minimal negotiations, and will likely target low term.

At least Trotz appears willing to give him every chance to succeed and just has to be better than our previous players coaches at motivating players.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I understand what you guys see in Mojo, but I think you are being far too patient.

I think he is a paycheck player ... I prefer players with more heart

ship him for assets or cap space or whatever rather than pay him $4m per season

of course every player has a price ... I wouldn't pay anything over $2.5m

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We see flashes. He has the speed. I think he has a great slapper but like many a swedish player seems hesitant to unleash it. Whenever we had the rare grade A tick tack toe passing for a goal, he always seemed to be the tack with a quick one touch pass and good vision. He got the memo and stopped the phantom drop passes, and even shocked the hockey community and threw some memorable hits.

I thought his faceoff numbers were increasing year after year when MJ at C ended. So we moved him to wing where he rushed up straight at defensemen and it was where offense went to die for a long time.

Since he has the swedish shooting disease ™ I think it's best to not fight it, and embrace his urge to pass first, and move him to center. Why keep trying to make him a cycle / shooter type at wing?

Classic Square peg round hole aka a standard A-7 scenario.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I'm kinda there with you. I've been saying for a while that with significant strength gains, he could be really good. But we've been waiting five seasons on those gains. It's tough to keep a 6th year NHL pro on upside when you've got a limited window of Ovechkin's prime.

I still think Johansson has value, but what we expected him to grow into and what we continue to see are two different things. Yes, the year under Trotz was good, but like you said the OV window is closing and if you want to win with him now players like Mojo are a road block. I still can't get over how dismal his career goals has been. When we drafted him and in his early years, I expected him to compliment our primary scoring so much more.. :shakehead

I think he is best valued strictly on that 3rd line, or in a potential trade. Being a regular in the top 6 can't be an option.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Count me in the minority that thinks Mojo still has significant upside....
Oh I agree....but he needs to get there...and we saw it a bit in the Islanders series...but he needs to get back to that...and he should already be there after all these years.

I dunno. While I want him moved....I wont be pissed if hes still around.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Asked by @EITMonline if the Caps are done, Trotz said he felt there was more out there. “We’re looking to maybe add one more piece.â€

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think that kinda works against him. Seeing what he could be makes the cold streaks all the more frustrating.

He's been having hot and cold streaks for five seasons. He doesn't have any upside at this point, that's the player he is: capable of a hot streak and incapable of maintaining it. He's a weak, one dimensional, perimeter, offensive forward. And that's all he is.

5 years people. This is Marcus Johansson, not Zdeno Chara.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think this GM is much more aware of the contract year performance boost than the previous GM.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Trotz said on @EITMonline that “all indications†have Backstrom skating by camp, but “up in the air†if he’ll be ready for start of season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd be open to giving MJ a 1 or 2 year deal with an AAV of $4M. If he wants a longer term, then the price has to come down.

MJ put up decent numbers in the regular season, but not so much in the playoffs. There's one thing I appreciated though. MJ was a mean ******* in the series against the Isles, finishing his checks with authority and even getting his hands dirty in scrums after the whistle. I want more of that, I'm tired of the soft Swede thing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd be open to giving MJ a 1 or 2 year deal with an AAV of $4M. If he wants a longer term, then the price has to come down.

MJ put up decent numbers in the regular season, but not so much in the playoffs. There's one thing I appreciated though. MJ was a mean ******* in the series against the Isles, finishing his checks with authority and even getting his hands dirty in scrums after the whistle. I want more of that, I'm tired of the soft Swede thing.

This is why I brought up the contract year boost. He only upped his game to that level at what could've been the very last moment before his contract expired. If not for the injury maybe he'd have continued against the Rangers, but it's still a big push at the very, very end.

Also applies somewhat to most of the year for Fehr. Less so to Holtby.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's been having hot and cold streaks for five seasons. He doesn't have any upside at this point, that's the player he is: capable of a hot streak and incapable of maintaining it. He's a weak, one dimensional, perimeter, offensive forward. And that's all he is.

5 years people. This is Marcus Johansson, not Zdeno Chara.
Right. He's UFA in two years. It's most likely just a matter of when he leaves.

@alex_prewitt: Trotz said both free agency and trade routes were being explored.

@ianoland: In an interview with @EITMonline, head coach Barry Trotz lumps Eric Fehr with the other Caps UFAs that will not be back next year

‏@ianoland: Trotz also says the Caps are also looking to add another UFA to a one-year deal for the bottom 6

Someone around $1M makes sense and there ought to be quite a few UFAs that end up settling for around that (like Brodziak did).

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Someone around $1M makes sense and there ought to be quite a few UFAs that end up settling for around that (like Brodziak did).
Brad Boyes kinda makes sense for that price (well...before acquiring two RW's)...but I'm guessing they are going to be looking at center. Roy maybe? Gomez?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Trade Johansson or walk away. Sign Schlemko for $1.5 million. Sign Gomez for $1 million. Bank the cap space. Re-assess at the deadline.

The holes we have are bottom 6 forward and bottom pairing dman. We should get players who fit those roles.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Brad Boyes kinda makes sense for that price (well...before acquiring two RW's)...but I'm guessing they are going to be looking at center. Roy maybe? Gomez?

Im betting Boyes is the guy. Depending on who you wanna believe, they have been linked to him

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A two-way 3C that can help kill penalties would be the ideal fit. Weiss? Santorelli? It's why I still wouldn't rule out Fehr. The market correction is on so it's a matter of him coming hat in hand and backing off of those initial demands. He's going to have to meet their price. Even with some savings they might not have enough. He's not without his weaknesses but the alternatives aren't all that appealing.

The one problem with adding another forward is that it likely makes Galiev & Latta scratches, assuming both are locks due to waiver status. Depth is good to have but I wonder if Galiev isn't more valuable to another team.

I'm good with giving Chorney a chance to compete. It's a bit of a risk but they can hedge by adding a better #8 to play in Hershey on the cheap.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
I begrudge actors making the amount of money they do. But I'm in the minority. I also think we care way too much about what celebrities think. They are actors. They are our generation's court jesters. They entertain - that's it.

I also hate the argument athletes have skills no one else has. "They aren't the average person so you can't compare their salaries to average people". People working for NASA, researching cures to major diseases, etc. have skills that no one else has. They are intellectual pros. What do they get paid? Very well I'm sure. But not the millions athletes and other entertainers do.

So yeah, I understand the hostility and resentment when talking about how much these guys are getting paid. Our priorities are messed up when we decide the people providing us with distractions deserve this much more than the people providing us with our education, healthcare, scientific research, etc.

Could we really not have sports at a lower cost? Really? Is there any reason people couldn't make a very good living being an actor or pro athlete without making several millions of dollars every year? I think there could be a little more balance. And there are people working 70 hours a week and barely making ends meet who I'm sure would agree with me.

Who is paying $100 a night or more to watch a NASA person do their job? Don't get me wrong I appreciate their work but I am not shelling out to watch them. There also aren't major networks bidding over showing what they do. If the players all took 500k a year or something you are fooling yourself if you don't think the owners would just pocket the difference. This is a business. Ticket prices are set by how much they think they can charge. And if they still think they can get $100 a night from us then they will charge that.

Resentment over what they make is the result of ignorance or jealousy or both. I totally get laying into a guy who makes too much for what he contributes like Laich. He got paid and didn't produce anywhere near his contract. But for a guy like Holtby who is top 5 or 10 in the league at his position I don't get it unless he falls apart later. If he comes in at 5.5 that is a damn bargain. Whether we think is it wise to pay goalies that much is another business thing.

And there are sports out there for less. Minor league sports are far cheaper. Why? Because there is far less demand for it. The only way pro hockey or pro any sport gets less expensive is if lots of people stop watching or going to the games. And that isn't happening.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
All UFA Centers that made $1M+ last year:

woPuYU5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad