Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIII -- Summer Free Agency 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
General opinion on Schlemko appears to be ranging from bargain bin move to decent value for a team needing a bottom pair guy. We need a middle pair guy. I understand passing, especially if the Caps special price from McPhee was higher.

I did chuckle when I saw "his advanced stats have always been good". Twabby kind of player for sure.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps need a middle pair guy AND a bottom pair guy. Possibly 2x bottom pair guys, depending on what they do with Orpik.

Caps were already willing to press a good/great bottom pairing player into the Top 4 to see how he'd handle the increased workload (Schmidt). Schlemko would be a similar type of acquisition. As would Colin Miller, if he wasn't a RD.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
@reporterchris: David Schlemko heading to #habs from Vegas for a 2019 5th-round pick.

Cheap.

The Caps posted a picture, since deleted, of them interviewing a prospect in Chicago but I have no idea who it is.

OH you tease on that last part haha

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope the Caps brass realizes that there's no way this team is going to be as healthy as it was last year. Some of these names they're dropping are fine as shorter-term injury call-ups, but relying on them as primary options is leaving the team scary thin. Reminds me of Oates' final year when they had a rotating cast of guys like Brouillette, Urbom, Oleksy, and Strachan on the back-end.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
cut.png

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wonder if the Caps brass even shows up to the draft before the 3rd round. I guess they should for appearances sake, but it's probably going to be very boring.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You mean the guy sitting far right in second pick?
Yes, same prospect as the initial post it seems but it was more of a straight on shot. They did hire a younger European scout last fall but not that young and it isn't him.

I was more interesting initially whether it was a top 60 guy and if they were maybe doing extra due diligence in the event of a deal.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps need a middle pair guy AND a bottom pair guy. Possibly 2x bottom pair guys, depending on what they do with Orpik.

Caps were already willing to press a good/great bottom pairing player into the Top 4 to see how he'd handle the increased workload (Schmidt). Schlemko would be a similar type of acquisition. As would Colin Miller, if he wasn't a RD.

Seems obvious someone from the AHL is filling the bottom pair, or Chorney.

Schlemko is 30 and fully developed. Playing him up is not similar to playing a guy you've developed, is still only 25, and might have some undeveloped upside in him still.

I believe their mindset is they want a solid #4 who can play up in emergency, and Schlemko isn't what they had in mind.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I believe their mindset is they want a solid #4 who can play up in emergency, and Schlemko isn't what they had in mind.
It won't be easy to find that at $2.1M or lower, though.

@VogsCaps: Certainly possible, but I wouldn't say I "see" it. Hard to add salaries until you get some of the RFAs to sign on the line which is dotted.

Kind of a preposterous way of thinking nine days from 7/1.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yes, same prospect as the initial post it seems but it was more of a straight on shot. They did hire a younger European scout last fall but not that young and it isn't him.

I was more interesting initially whether it was a top 60 guy and if they were maybe doing extra due diligence in the event of a deal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=2&dpid=107896&sort=finalRank&year=2017

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=3&dpid=106916&sort=finalRank&year=2017

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=106952&sort=finalRank&year=2017

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=107035&sort=finalRank&year=2017

its super hard to match but gave it a shot

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Obviously I prefer Schmidt to Schlemko, but Schlemko is about as serviceable anything they're going to be able to afford in the UFA market to fill that same role. Otherwise they're turning to guys like a 35/36 Oduya, Matt Hunwick, Ron Hainsey, or Kyle Quincey. And even half of those could end up north of $2.1M. Hard to imagine they'd be able to afford MDZ or Daley.

Most of the more interesting names being floated on the trade market (Methot, Scandella) are $4M+

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It won't be easy to find that at $2.1M or lower, though.

@VogsCaps: Certainly possible, but I wouldn't say I "see" it. Hard to add salaries until you get some of the RFAs to sign on the line which is dotted.

Kind of a preposterous way of thinking nine days from 7/1.

Psst it's going to be Orpik. Don't tell for fear of a mass panic. ;)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I've seen people re-linking Alzner back to us for some God awful reason. Alzner is spent, I don't understand why losing Schmidt makes the media pundits think that Alzner is suddenly back on the radar.

I'd honestly be fine with a Djoos - Bowey third pairing as long as they can either jettison Orpik or bring someone else to play that 4th D role. If they try to essentially put lipstick on a pig I think you'll see a fan revolt real quick. Trotz also isn't gonna get by with crap D for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad