Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIII -- Summer Free Agency 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I will probably stop watching hockey this year if the Caps lose Schmidt for nothing to Pittsburgh. It would certainly cement McFail as my most disliked person in all of sports (not that that means a damn thing).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am still pissed. I hate everything. The expansion draft. The new jersey thing. Jersey. It just reeks of trying to bump up jersey sales by making subtle and unneeded changes. Being old school, I kind of miss home whites.

And I'll blame Hive for planting the seed in George's head, and hashing out the details of Schmitt to Pitt, if it happens. He'll be an all star in that system.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I hate everything.
That's me after reading this:

@TarikCSN: Holtby on playoffs (to reporters in Vegas): “Obviously it’s still hard. It’s still…[we] still don’t know what went on. It’s strange.†#Caps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I am still pissed. I hate everything. The expansion draft. The new jersey thing. Jersey. It just reeks of trying to bump up jersey sales by making subtle and unneeded changes. Being old school, I kind of miss home whites.

And I'll blame Hive for planting the seed in George's head, and hashing out the details of Schmitt to Pitt, if it happens. He'll be an all star in that system.

Can I also get the blame when Justin Williams inevitably signs with Pittsburgh?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can I also get the blame when Justin Williams inevitably signs with Pittsburgh?

Blame.. credit, Shirley.

I checked Vegas no pun intended and he is the odds on candidate to finish us in a game 7 a year from now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can't believe the NHL is rubbing it in the Capitals' faces AGAIN. Playing a reigning Eastern Conference Finalist at their home opener is just a giant FU to Capitals fans who are already down on their luck.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I can't believe the NHL is rubbing it in the Capitals' faces AGAIN. Playing a reigning Eastern Conference Finalist at their home opener is just a giant FU to Capitals fans who are already down on their luck.
Triggered.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD

Maybe we should ****ing win something.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Response from Ovechkin:

'Is good to be Ovy?". :D

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's me after reading this:

@TarikCSN: Holtby on playoffs (to reporters in Vegas): “Obviously it’s still hard. It’s still…[we] still don’t know what went on. It’s strange.†#Caps

That's because you guys are all MENTAL.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
This is said every year and he always delivers doesn't he?

It was all relatively easy for him before, get defense (Niskanen, Orpik), get a 1st line RW (Oshie), get a 3 center (Eller). He did good in getting them but what is the blue print now?

For a team with 2 histrionically great regular seasons there will be a steeepppp decline this season especially if Oshie and Williams leave. 2 out of 6 d, gone. 2 out of the top 6, gone. You don't replace players at that magnitude by moving players up, that creates gaps through the rest of the lineup.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It was all relatively easy for him before, get defense (Niskanen, Orpik), get a 1st line RW (Oshie), get a 3 center (Eller). He did good in getting them but what is the blue print now?

For a team with 2 histrionically great regular seasons there will be a steeepppp decline this season especially if Oshie and Williams leave. 2 out of 6 d, gone. 2 out of the top 6, gone. You don't replace players at that magnitude by moving players up, that creates gaps through the rest of the lineup.

Easy? How do we know those moves were easy?

Look, we're pretty sure no big moves get made without Ted's approval. Aka Ovie and Nick aren't going anywhere. What more can gmbm do that he hasn't done? He's plugged every roster hole that's come up, on PAPER. The problem is the "best laid plans of mice and men" don't always pan out.

And it is NOT LUCK as some say every damn year. The Penguins staged a rebuild practically parallel to the Caps. Several teams rose and fell in the Ovechkin era. Many have made the Finals or won Cups more than once. You don't make FOUR FINALS like the Pens did based on LUCK. Sure you need some, but it's not an accident.

Some players have the heart and determination to pull something EXTRA when it COUNTS. That's what this team lacks and has always lacked, except maybe 1998 and even then they were just outmatched by a Detroit team with at least as much swagger and more talent, iirc.

This organization does not have "it". They have the playoff yips. They need performance psychologists more than some magic TDL move.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Gotta sign Oshie.

Go with the younger D. Chorney...step up or get out the way.

Orlov - Niskanen
Chorney - Carlson
Orpik - Bowey

Get Djoos, Lexington, and Williams some games as needed.

Maybe?

Ovie - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Mojo - Backstrom - Wilson
Burakovsky - Eller - Boyd
Walker - Beagle - Barber/Graovac

Maybe throw in a UFA $1million guy in there somewhere.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Resign Oshie and Williams (1 or 2 year for Williams) and trade Mojo to Minnesota for Brodin or one of their other surplus of D that they want to part with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad