Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVII (New Year, New Lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Apparently according to ESPN, if the capitals didn't draft ovechkin then they wouldn't be playing anymore in DC right now

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-more-valuable-team-alex-ovechkin-carey-price

Jeezus - if Carey Price had just been OK against the Caps in the only playoff series that we faced him in, we wouldn't have gotten Halak-ed. But he was yanked in game 3 at home, and sported an .889 save percentage in game 4 at home - giving up 2 to Ovie.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
They're hit by the perfect storm of stars getting up there in age (Ovechkin and Backstrom will still be good players but closer to normal, and this team is built on them being exceptional), cap crunch, crappy prospect pool and the Vegspansion draft. And they've never showed the ability to pull brilliant retooling moves out of their ass like the Pens did, which they'd have to.

I think you underestimate how good this team is right now and a 35 year old struggling Ovechkin shouldn't stop Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Holtby, and Carlson as our core. Hell Ovechkin has quite often struggled this year and we're 4th? in the league or whatever we are.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think you underestimate how good this team is right now and a 35 year old struggling Ovechkin shouldn't stop Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Holtby, and Carlson as our core. Hell Ovechkin has quite often struggled this year and we're 4th? in the league or whatever we are.

I agree this team does look like a well oiled machine right now. With the exception of the 1-0 win against the Sens the other night(and those games are inevitable to happen from time to time) the offense has finally caught up with the defense and goaltending over the past handful of games. That was our biggest struggle all year. The defense has played well and Holtby has been Holtby for most of the season. The offense was just stumbling. Maybe, just maybe we're starting to ascend at the right time of the season and can peak come playoff time.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would say Backstrom and Joe Thronton are pretty similar players. And big joe is still a very productive player at age 37. There is no reason to think Backstrom play is going to fall of a cliff when he enter his 30s

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I would say Backstrom and Joe Thronton are pretty similar players. And big joe is still a very productive player at age 37. There is no reason to think Backstrom play is going to fall of a cliff when he enter his 30s

Definitely agree, neither has ever relied on their dynamic skating ability. It's smarts and pure talent. Backstrom is one of those guys who will likely play a LONG TIME and continue to be productive.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I agree this team does look like a well oiled machine right now. With the exception of the 1-0 win against the Sens the other night(and those games are inevitable to happen from time to time) the offense has finally caught up with the defense and goaltending over the past handful of games. That was our biggest struggle all year. The defense has played well and Holtby has been Holtby for most of the season. The offense was just stumbling. Maybe, just maybe we're starting to ascend at the right time of the season and can peak come playoff time.

I don't (yet) see the Caps' offense holding up in playoffs/against elite opponents. 1st line is still too deliberate to be great in playoffs. 2nd line - jury is out. Bottom lines can't really be counted on to chip in.

The uptick in scoring is nice to build up players' confidence, but the playoffs will be a whole different game.

Not saying it can't happen, but when I look at the current offense I can't really extrapolate it to playoffs. They'll need some huge individual performances to carry the offense, IMO. Or some unexpected chemistry to emerge.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I don't (yet) see the Caps' offense holding up in playoffs/against elite opponents. 1st line is still too deliberate to be great in playoffs. 2nd line - jury is out. Bottom lines can't really be counted on to chip in.

The uptick in scoring is nice to build up players' confidence, but the playoffs will be a whole different game.

Not saying it can't happen, but when I look at the current offense I can't really extrapolate it to playoffs. They'll need some huge individual performances to carry the offense, IMO. Or some unexpected chemistry to emerge.

Well seeing we will be facing A+ goaltending no matter what Price, Lundy, Bob, or pens dou. Its expected scoring will be hard.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Even if Oshie is playing with one arm he'll score a goal against Pittsburgh. He always seems to light them up.

(Good news to see he's healthy, hopefully they aren't rushing him back)

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I hope this isn't something that Oshie can make worse by playing now. Alan May, as usual, was right that it would be unnecessarily reckless to put him back in if there is any possibility that it could go from bad to worse by playing now. Let him rest up if he needs it.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

Which is why in my opinion you pony up a 1st ++ and add a legit piece on offense. Someone has to go out the other way but Winnik and Eller spring to mind.

Maximize this roster to compete this year.

Make it happen...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Eller has anchored a dominant third line all season long. For a team that struggled to put together a good bottom 6 last season I feel pretty good about the 3C position this season so unless there's an offer too good to refuse I'm not looking to ship Eller out.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eller has anchored a dominant third line all season long. His boxcar stats haven't quite caught up to what he's shown on the ice most nights: that he's been a solid third line center defensively and in terms of puck-possession. For a team that struggled to put together a good bottom 6 last season I feel pretty good about the third line center this season.

I think this is the key point. We lost the Pens series largely based on an inferior bottom 6 or 4th line, right? So far that's seeming like a strength for this team and they're only getting better.

Lines like that SHOULD thrive in a tight playoff environment. If our top 6 guys can throw a few in every night and we get some contributions from the bottom half of the lineup then that's hard to stop with our current defense and goaltending.

"we like our team"

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Eller has anchored a dominant third line all season long. For a team that struggled to put together a good bottom 6 last season I feel pretty good about the 3C position this season so unless there's an offer too good to refuse I'm not looking to ship Eller out.

Yeah getting rid of Eller is stupid, especially when the rap on him is that he brings it in the playoffs.

Burakovsky/Connolly/Wilson/Winnik would be the points of upgrade, and Winnik is playing well, he just has a history of 0 play off offense and a large cap hit. And none of those guys has been flat out bad. Maybe Wilson but he has a role and hasn't been a liability really.

If they're not getting Duchene or a D of comparable level there's really no need to bother. Only thing that would be a clear upgrade is a gamebreaker to slot in somewhere and provide that Kessel edge.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah getting rid of Eller is stupid, especially when the rap on him is that he brings it in the playoffs.

Burakovsky/Connolly/Wilson/Winnik would be the points of upgrade, and Winnik is playing well, he just has a history of 0 play off offense and a large cap hit. And none of those guys has been flat out bad. Maybe Wilson but he has a role and hasn't been a liability really.

If they're not getting Duchene or a D of comparable level there's really no need to bother. Only thing that would be a clear upgrade is a gamebreaker to slot in somewhere and provide that Kessel edge.

I'd be more than happy with a cheap vet forward. Like Vrbata. That can slot anywhere in the lineup when injuries occur. And they will occur in the playoffs

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I'd be more than happy with a cheap vet forward. Like Vrbata. That can slot anywhere in the lineup when injuries occur. And they will occur in the playoffs

We could also think outside the box and go for an exploitation 4th line that would be relied on for offense, like what Columbus has.

Get Purrutu back from Atlantapeg, he was the best caps exploitation forward I can remember. Crafty as hell, reminded me of a lesser Briere.

Put Winnik-Beagle-Connolly/Wilson together as a master shutdown line that can still score

8-92-77
Tre Kronor
Winnik Beagle Connolly/Wilson
Purrutu - Eller - JW (crafty line good for a goal a game since no one expects them)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Eller has 3 goals in 39 games. That's supposed to put us over the top?

What am I missing?

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
and Eller has a knack of when the other teams starting to gain momentum he takes a penalty. I want to ship eller and the farm for Duchene...Duchene as a third line center would put us over the top

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
and Eller has a knack of when the other teams starting to gain momentum he takes a penalty. I want to ship eller and the farm for Duchene...Duchene as a third line center would put us over the top

Now THAT is what gearing up for a Cup run looks like at the deadline...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

As fun as Duchene at 3C is to imagine, I think Trotz would have an aneurism if he was forced to ice a lineup that didn't have three shutdown centers in the playoffs.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Except the Avs are asking for a first rounder plus a top pairing defender plus top prospects for either duchene or landeskog. Not anything like eller

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Except the Avs are asking for a first rounder plus a top pairing defender plus top prospects for either duchene or landeskog. Not anything like eller

Two firsts, Eller and Bowey.

Or now that I think of it because their G's are suspect - something around a first, Samsonov and Eller might grab their eye.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad