Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIV (Arbitration Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think you trade your best players when you're trying to get better.

You add more best players to your team by giving up prospects, draft picks, or an abundance of role players to get a top player.

Backstrom in no way is a player that makes a team better by adding by subtracting. You aren't going to have someone come in and just be better than him probably. The odds of that are very slim.

Plus, Caps have tried for years to solidify a second line center. If they move Backstrom and have Kuzy as the #1 - It's the same thing/issue once again. What are they going to do? Have Eller be the #2 center or some rookie from Hershey? No one in the organization looks anywhere close after Kuzy/Backstrom to be a top 6 center.

Backstrom is very far from the issue. Look at the Blackhawks. They have Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford... they add great talent around them. They don't move those players. Same thing with Pitt. They never moved Malkin, Crosby, or Letang - they added great players to join them. Look at LA with Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick - none of them are going anywhere - but studs are coming in to join them constantly.

I like a lot of the Caps moves they've made. Eller isn't a bad 3rd line option. Connolly I actualyl think has nothing but upside. Williams was a great deal. Nisky overpayment at the time I even liked. However, the big difference making move still hasn't happened that really makes me go "Oh yeah, that's the difference making move that can take Caps to the next level".

Why's part of "trade for another top F" was hard to understand? You keep yammering on about adding top players to the core via trade. Top players cost $$$ and assets. Caps don't have any salary space with all of their top players either signed or due for raises. Only way to add another top player is to ship one out.

But you don't want to do that. You want to ship out prospects and futures and ignore the cap. Ok then, let's all go play NHL 16 and eat candy in fantasy land. Sounds fun.

Newsflash. The Caps are at the next level. They missed the Cup opportunity by a few bad bounces that the Pens got. It happens.

Again, as I've asked you before...what move should this team do, that will "wow" you (as I'm sure wowing The HF poster Spinning Wheels is what they care about)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That would mean that the Caps failed to get past round 2 again. Only this time with Kuznetsov lighting it up. I think if 92 is producing, the Caps are winning. If he struggles again, I dont see the Caps reacting to that by trading Backstrom.

Of course having Center strenth is better.

Well, people want a shake up if the Caps lose again. Won't trade Ovechkin, so who would be left to deal?

And I said "trade for another top F"....not its not like they are taking futures for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, people want a shake up if the Caps lose again. Won't trade Ovechkin, so who would be left to deal?

And I said "trade for another top F"....not its not like they are taking futures for him.

I think they have this one shot this year to win it and if they dont things will spin out of control. If they insist on hanging on to Ov, then that will be why they cant get past where they are stuck and hit reset. You can trade Backstrom, but he is not the face of the franchise. As long as he remains the team remains essentially the same.

My hopes are they win before Ovechkin can't take it anymore.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you can only make meaningful change if you trade the face of the franchise? Sorry I'm not buying it.

Backstrom is prime candidate #1 in a major hockey trade if they consider a shakeup next summer.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Maybe I'm alone in my line of thinking, but I feel like the Capitals should hang onto their best players and get rid of their overpaid bad players if they fail again next season.

I'm not understanding how trading Ovechkin or Backstrom makes any sense unless you return like Crosby or McDavid. Change the things that aren't working, not the things that are.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe I'm alone in my line of thinking, but I feel like the Capitals should hang onto their best players and get rid of their overpaid bad players if they fail again next season.

I'm not understanding how trading Ovechkin or Backstrom makes any sense unless you return like Crosby or McDavid. Change the things that aren't working, not the things that are.

well who are the overpaid bad players beside orpik?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Why's part of "trade for another top F" was hard to understand? You keep yammering on about adding top players to the core via trade. Top players cost $$$ and assets. Caps don't have any salary space with all of their top players either signed or due for raises. Only way to add another top player is to ship one out.

But you don't want to do that. You want to ship out prospects and futures and ignore the cap. Ok then, let's all go play NHL 16 and eat candy in fantasy land. Sounds fun.

Newsflash. The Caps are at the next level. They missed the Cup opportunity by a few bad bounces that the Pens got. It happens.

Again, as I've asked you before...what move should this team do, that will "wow" you (as I'm sure wowing The HF poster Spinning Wheels is what they care about)

What are you talking about?

Johansson right now is slated to be on the third line... and is probasbly going to be in the 4-5 million range. You don't think Caps could have traded him and a 1st or another top end prospect and gotten a better player in return????

Caps could of got REAL value by shipping their 1st rd pick, Johansson as a RFA, and Orlov for a big time player. Hell, that would of probably gotten Hall. 1st rd + Johansson + Orlov is > than Larsson NJ gave up.

Then all you're doing is moving Burro to third line instead (same production MoJo would give anyways), but you're upgrading the top six BIG TIME with a point per game player who has a ton of speed (which would of been huge for us against Pitt).... then you just fill a third line defender with someone cheap like Wisniewski maybe...

You trying to say Caps couldn't have gotten Hall at the beginning of hte offseason for MoJo, Orlov, + their first rd pick? Hell, Edmonton needs goalie help too. If they didn't like Orlov or the 1st rd pick you could of given up Samsonov instead since he wouldn't be playing for Caps for at least 6 more years. It still blows my mind why the Caps have Samsonov on their roster. He's arguably the most valuable goalie prospect in hockey. Caps have Holtby still in his mid twenties signed for four more years..... what they hell is Samsonov needed for?

Trade MoJo + Orlov for a big time difference maker. Let Burro chill on the third line this year w/ Eller and Wilson. Sign Wisniewski to take Orlovs spot...

Again, this is just an example of something that could have been done - but never does. I'm not saying Hall was an option - as maybe NJ loved Larsson - but Caps never make a move to really improve their team like contenders seem to do all the time.

This could have easily been done. There's plenty of other ways to make it work too. Remember, teams rebuilding that are willing to let a top guy go for younger players are usually okay with taking on salary too if needed to get a deal done to help their rebuild. Caps could of probably gotten away w/ Orpik, Johansson, Orlov, + 1st for Hall... and then Caps also would of had 6-7 million more to play with. That's a difference maker and would prove Caps were going for it this year.

Every year a top end player gets traded to a contending team and the contending team finds a way to make salary work. Hell, Pitt got Kessel for Harrington, Kapanen, Spalling, 1st, and a 3rd - and Toronto retained salary. What did that do? It had Kessel be a big time difference maker in the playoffs (because he's a difference making talent) and Pitt won the Cup with Malkin/Crosby/Letang in their prime - when they gave up players that would of NO WAY helped Pitt last year in a cup run.

Caps keep trying ot make sure they're in good shape for 2-3 years down the road... that's why RIGHT NOW they're always getting passed and beaten by team looking to WIN NOW.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
well who are the overpaid bad players beside orpik?

Orpik is the main anchor now that Laich is gone. The cap hit of buying out Orpik and then signing a defenseman like James Wisniewski would likely be in the $4M ballpark, as opposed to Orpik's $5.5M cap hit alone. That's a better defenseman and $1.5M that could be banked until the trade deadline (or used towards a guy like Versteeg who still hasn't signed). That's an instant upgrade to the team. Making a move like this makes more sense than dumping Ovechkin or Backstrom just to "shake it up."

Winnik is overpaid for his role too, but he's a UFA at the end 2016-17 so he's likely gone either way. Johansson could fit the bill as overpaid too, but we don't know what's going to happen with him yet. Same with Orlov (I think he has great room to improve this season but I could be dead wrong). Not sure about Eller either, he could be a great value 3C at $3.5M per year or he could be overpaid depending on how he fits in with Washington.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You trying to say Caps couldn't have gotten Hall at the beginning of hte offseason for MoJo, Orlov, + their first rd pick?
I doubt you'll find many that agree with you. Edmonton wanted a stud blueliner on a very reasonable cap hit, a very specific and limited target field. If they just wanted the best possible package offer many teams would have beat that.

I would agree on trying to package things and the bizarreness of retaining Samsonov all things considered. But I also think landing a splashy type addition could just let the coaching staff off the hook to the point where they fundamentally keep doing the same stupid **** with just another impact guy in the mix. It helps in terms of raw ability but the root issues likely linger on. Maybe that doesn't matter but their focus needs to be on development primarily. Given their off-season moves to date that seems pretty unavoidable in importance for next season. They keep getting passed by teams because their bigger leaders and players overall don't seem to learn much of anything. If you're not getting better and learning from experience how does the gap between current play and their goals ever shrink? That's what's been missing most over the years and thus far Trotz seems just as clueless as anyone previously.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I doubt you'll find many that agree with you. Edmonton wanted a stud blueliner on a very reasonable cap hit, a very specific and limited target field. If they just wanted the best possible package offer many teams would have beat that.

I would agree on trying to package things and the bizarreness of retaining Samsonov all things considered. But I also think landing a splashy type addition could just let the coaching staff off the hook to the point where they fundamentally keep doing the same stupid **** with just another impact guy in the mix. It helps in terms of raw ability but the root issues likely linger on. Maybe that doesn't matter but their focus needs to be on development primarily. Given their off-season moves to date that seems pretty unavoidable in importance for next season. They keep getting passed by teams because their bigger leaders and players overall don't seem to learn much of anything. If you're not getting better and learning from experience how does the gap between current play and their goals ever shrink? That's what's been missing most over the years and thus far Trotz seems just as clueless as anyone previously.

I agree - with Hall you never know if Caps could have gotten him or not or whatever - but my point was the Caps have the picks, prospects, and players to make a difference making move if they wanted.

I just don't think tweaking a roster that has the same exact top end players that hasn't got over 2.5 goals per game in any playoffs for the better part of a decade - and has avg'd just 2 goals per game over the last 100 or so playoff games isn't enough. Caps need a difference maker b/c right now teams are still containing the Caps easily. Hell, Philly held Caps to 6 ES goals in 6 games...

I mean if they were going to add just 1 or 2 players (Eller/Connolly) they should of tried to add better than those two players. GMBM had a whole offseason to work phones/see who was available/see his prospect pool/etc... but decided to go the filler way instead of the better way. Swapping Eller for Chimera is a wash in bottom 6 production - and losing Latta/Richards for Connolly is a whatever type move too.

With the picks the Caps had/prospects like elite goaltender prospects... etc - GMBM should of done way more.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't mean to pick on any one poster, but I feel a lot of people overvalue the concept of "packages" when it comes to "hockey trades." There are scenarios in which packages make sense, and a pick or prospect may be thrown into a hockey trade to even things out (especially when contracts and/or cap scenarios are involved), but generally speaking teams value individual targets highly. Teams don't want a collection of "B-grade" assets for their "A-grade" asset. They want an individual piece they value highly. You don't just load up assets until the "trade value" meter says it's a good trade, you have to find a centerpiece to the trade that the other team values similarly to the asset they're moving away. That's not to say they won't want another asset or two added on, but there has to be a central piece they value.

Obviously selling off assets at the deadline can be a little different, and teams may simply take the biggest package of draft picks offered to them. But when it comes to moving roster pieces around, they don't want a bunch of 3rd liners for a 2nd liner.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
What are you talking about?

Johansson right now is slated to be on the third line... and is probasbly going to be in the 4-5 million range. You don't think Caps could have traded him and a 1st or another top end prospect and gotten a better player in return????

Caps could of got REAL value by shipping their 1st rd pick, Johansson as a RFA, and Orlov for a big time player. Hell, that would of probably gotten Hall. 1st rd + Johansson + Orlov is > than Larsson NJ gave up.

Then all you're doing is moving Burro to third line instead (same production MoJo would give anyways), but you're upgrading the top six BIG TIME with a point per game player who has a ton of speed (which would of been huge for us against Pitt).... then you just fill a third line defender with someone cheap like Wisniewski maybe...

You trying to say Caps couldn't have gotten Hall at the beginning of hte offseason for MoJo, Orlov, + their first rd pick? Hell, Edmonton needs goalie help too. If they didn't like Orlov or the 1st rd pick you could of given up Samsonov instead since he wouldn't be playing for Caps for at least 6 more years. It still blows my mind why the Caps have Samsonov on their roster. He's arguably the most valuable goalie prospect in hockey. Caps have Holtby still in his mid twenties signed for four more years..... what they hell is Samsonov needed for?

Trade MoJo + Orlov for a big time difference maker. Let Burro chill on the third line this year w/ Eller and Wilson. Sign Wisniewski to take Orlovs spot...

Again, this is just an example of something that could have been done - but never does. I'm not saying Hall was an option - as maybe NJ loved Larsson - but Caps never make a move to really improve their team like contenders seem to do all the time.

This could have easily been done. There's plenty of other ways to make it work too. Remember, teams rebuilding that are willing to let a top guy go for younger players are usually okay with taking on salary too if needed to get a deal done to help their rebuild. Caps could of probably gotten away w/ Orpik, Johansson, Orlov, + 1st for Hall... and then Caps also would of had 6-7 million more to play with. That's a difference maker and would prove Caps were going for it this year.

Every year a top end player gets traded to a contending team and the contending team finds a way to make salary work. Hell, Pitt got Kessel for Harrington, Kapanen, Spalling, 1st, and a 3rd - and Toronto retained salary. What did that do? It had Kessel be a big time difference maker in the playoffs (because he's a difference making talent) and Pitt won the Cup with Malkin/Crosby/Letang in their prime - when they gave up players that would of NO WAY helped Pitt last year in a cup run.

Caps keep trying ot make sure they're in good shape for 2-3 years down the road... that's why RIGHT NOW they're always getting passed and beaten by team looking to WIN NOW.

You are 3 things:
Wrong.
Relentless
Exhausting

This is Brian's 3rd off season. It's not close to over yet.

1st-- he added 2 top 4 dmen.. I'd call that a splash

2nd - he added 2 top 6 wingers (by trading a 3rd liner, mid prospect, and a mid draft pick). I'd call that a splash as well

3rd -- he added arguably the best 3c for the cost he could have. Didn't have to deal a 1st or a top prospect. That's good too

Is it the 17 TDL yet? Hell, is it training camp yet? Is MaJo here at 5m?

What does 2 RA's and a 1st get? Not sure....but prob not Taylor Hall. Who else has been traded that they should have offered that package for? Would have cost Alzner or Carlson for Hall. You ok w that?

Kessel was done after we added Oshie and Williams. We should have done him instead? We wanted 2 wingers for 7.5m. Not one.

MaJo was going into RFA last year too. Where were you last year screaming for his trade? No one Monday AM QB's better than you.

GMBM NEVER makes the big trades/splashes/moves!!!!! (Well, not since end of last season yet, I mean...so not in 30 days!!!!)

See how ridiculous that all sounds? Especially since the team that's he's added too (not kept in tact) was top 5 in NHL by all metrics, and was some legitimate bad bounces from beating the Cup winner.

(mod) Knee jerk plans DO NOT work. I'm sure he's trying to deal MaJo. Least working the phones. Should we take a few quarters in the dollar just to remove him?

Again. Other than your fantastic Taylor Hall proposal, who has GMBM missed out on(and stop with the Kessel crap, many panned the move -- including Pens fans -- and was terrible most of the year). Rutherford's best deal was Hagelin. Not Kessel. Had the Caps had him, I think they win it all (instead of Wilson or Chimera or ?....)

How (edit) off would this board have been, had GMBM traded Wilson for Hagelin last winter?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
You are 3 things:
Wrong.
Relentless
Exhausting

This is Brian's 3rd off season. It's not close to over yet.

1st-- he added 2 top 4 dmen.. I'd call that a splash

2nd - he added 2 top 6 wingers (by trading a 3rd liner, mid prospect, and a mid draft pick). I'd call that a splash as well

3rd -- he added arguably the best 3c for the cost he could have. Didn't have to deal a 1st or a top prospect. That's good too

Is it the 17 TDL yet? Hell, is it training camp yet? Is MaJo here at 5m?

What does 2 RA's and a 1st get? Not sure....but prob not Taylor Hall. Who else has been traded that they should have offered that package for? Would have cost Alzner or Carlson for Hall. You ok w that?

Kessel was done after we added Oshie and Williams. We should have done him instead? We wanted 2 wingers for 7.5m. Not one.

MaJo was going into RFA last year too. Where were you last year screaming for his trade? No one Monday AM QB's better than you.

GMBM NEVER makes the big trades/splashes/moves!!!!! (Well, not since end of last season yet, I mean...so not in 30 days!!!!)

See how ridiculous that all sounds? Especially since the team that's he's added too (not kept in tact) was top 5 in NHL by all metrics, and was some legitimate bad bounces from beating the Cup winner.

You don't run a business, do you? Knee jerk plans DO NOT work. I'm sure he's trying to deal MaJo. Least working the phones. Should we take a few quarters in the dollar just to remove him?

Again. Other than your fantastic Taylor Hall proposal, who has GMBM missed out on(and stop with the Kessel crap, many panned the move -- including Pens fans -- and was terrible most of the year). Rutherford's best deal was Hagelin. Not Kessel. Had the Caps had him, I think they win it all (instead of Wilson or Chimera or ?....)

How (edit) off would this board have been, had GMBM traded Wilson for Hagelin last winter?

(mod)

That's besides the point and none of that matters though.... all that we're doing is sharing our opinions on a message board. You don't know what the Caps can't do - so how can you criticize me for getting upset the Caps have made zero significant changes this entire offseason? It's my opinion and you cannot say I'm wrong about things because you do not know. I'm not asking Caps to trade Beagle for Hall - I was putting JUST AN EXAMPLE down of how Caps do have possibilities/very good players to acquire something big if they wanted/tried. You act like I'm "wrong" b/c I'm criticizing that the Caps haven't made a splash.

To your point on Brouwer/Oshie - Troy Brouwer wasn't a 3rd liner. The guy was coming off back to back 40+ point seasons and had 45+ goals those two years. Back to back 20 goal scorers are top 6 guys. Just look up goal scoring in the NHL and you'll see that. He also just got paid 4.5 million like a top 6 guy. Is Oshie better? Hell yes - and Caps got a better deal out of it - but they still gave up another top 6 guy, prospect, and a pick.

You keep bringing up regular season metrics that were obviously inflated by the first half success. For the eleventybillionth time - my whole argument has been about the playoffs and the consistent playoff failure. Why don't you keep talking about the postseason metrics where Caps weren't good at all? I brought up how the Caps have had the same top of the roster - and have had basically the same exact numbers/stats/metrics/whatever for FOUR PLAYOFFS IN A ROW when you look at goal scoring and goals against... but you still think I'm ridiculous for thinking the Caps should make a bigger move.

You bring up they added 2 top 4 defenders.... and that's true - and they did add 2 top 6 guys in Williams and Oshie. What about all the guys that have left over the past seasons since GMBM took over? You fail to bring up that. Fehr 20 goals - gone. Ward 20 goals - gone. Brouwer 20 goals - gone. Chimera 20 goals - gone. Grabovski 20 goals - gone. Green top 4 D - gone. For who has came in - other players have left that produced as well.

Also, I'm not in any way going to congratulate on Orpik signing - that was a stupid signing then - and is hurting the Caps now. The guy was awful in the playoffs this year - and couldn't stay on the ice - and is now entering year 3 of a 5 year deal of being vastly overpaid. Is he a solid player? Sure... but he's not worth ANYWHERE NEAR his salary.

Again, I'm not hating on GMBM for most of the moves - as I've said previously... but the TOP OF THE CAPITALS ROSTER THAT HASN'T GOTTEN IT DONE OVER AND OVER AND OVER always remains the same and nothing has been added to help them out still. It's not the moves he has made - It's the moves he hasn't made. He's still basically taking GMGM's top guys who failed over and over while just tweaking role players and thinking that's going to take them to a cup.

It's hilarious to me that you're literally calling me clueless and acting like the Caps don't have ANY POSSIBILITY to get better by adding a legit top end player when the Caps have had tons of assets, prospects, etc all the time. How do you know It's not possible? What is obvious is GMGM tells the truth and it's obvious he hasn't even tried to do that. He said all along he wanted to just improve the bottom 6/depth guys - which he has kind of done... maybe? Who knows if Eller/Connolly will be that good.

.... and I did criticize GMGM last offseason. I said their team would struggle scoring goals. In the regular season they did do amazing - which surprised me - but when the playoffs started they all started playing like I expected and just like every other postseason. They sucked at scoring goals and they didn't have the top end talent/difference makers to get it done. LA had Gaborik come in and played amazing. CHicago has had guys come in every year and help. Pitt had Kessel come in. Caps didn't have anyone get added that really helps them/you can count on - and sorry - I don't think Lars Eller - a guy who had more than 5 points in one month ONCE all of last season is going to all of a sudden add to our secondary scoring.

... Yet here they go again with the same damn top of roster/counting on the same players once again - for like the 5th/6th year in a row hoping for something different.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
What the hell is going on here?

Back to business, even as a shadow if himself after the Bork hit Backstrom had a hell of a postseason. He put up 4 points in 6 against Pitt while completely shutting down 87. Are people warching these games?

He's lost a lot of speed but he's a Selke level, big C on a fair deal. How do you upgrade that?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Changing the "culture" (whatever that means) for the sake of changing the culture, even if there are zero tangible benefits for doing so, sounds a lot like the catastrophic trade Montreal just made.

A winning culture doesn't win you Cups. Winning Cups produces a winning culture.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Changing the "culture" (whatever that means) for the sake of changing the culture, even if there are zero tangible benefits for doing so, sounds a lot like the catastrophic trade Montreal just made.

A winning culture doesn't win you Cups. Winning Cups produces a winning culture.

Every coach who has ever won anything will disagree with you.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Btw, in regards to GMBM - let's just agree to disagree with the topic. It is what it is at this point and some people like what he's done - some don't think he's really changing anything. No need to argue as we are all Caps fans overall.

Can it be October so we can just get the games started? Haha.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That's besides the point and none of that matters though.... all that we're doing is sharing our opinions on a message board. You don't know what the Caps can't do - so how can you criticize me for getting upset the Caps have made zero significant changes this entire offseason? It's my opinion and you cannot say I'm wrong about things because you do not know. I'm not asking Caps to trade Beagle for Hall - I was putting JUST AN EXAMPLE down of how Caps do have possibilities/very good players to acquire something big if they wanted/tried. You act like I'm "wrong" b/c I'm criticizing that the Caps haven't made a splash.

To your point on Brouwer/Oshie - Troy Brouwer wasn't a 3rd liner. The guy was coming off back to back 40+ point seasons and had 45+ goals those two years. Back to back 20 goal scorers are top 6 guys. Just look up goal scoring in the NHL and you'll see that. He also just got paid 4.5 million like a top 6 guy. Is Oshie better? Hell yes - and Caps got a better deal out of it - but they still gave up another top 6 guy, prospect, and a pick.

You keep bringing up regular season metrics that were obviously inflated by the first half success. For the eleventybillionth time - my whole argument has been about the playoffs and the consistent playoff failure. Why don't you keep talking about the postseason metrics where Caps weren't good at all? I brought up how the Caps have had the same top of the roster - and have had basically the same exact numbers/stats/metrics/whatever for FOUR PLAYOFFS IN A ROW when you look at goal scoring and goals against... but you still think I'm ridiculous for thinking the Caps should make a bigger move.

You bring up they added 2 top 4 defenders.... and that's true - and they did add 2 top 6 guys in Williams and Oshie. What about all the guys that have left over the past seasons since GMBM took over? You fail to bring up that. Fehr 20 goals - gone. Ward 20 goals - gone. Brouwer 20 goals - gone. Chimera 20 goals - gone. Grabovski 20 goals - gone. Green top 4 D - gone. For who has came in - other players have left that produced as well.

Also, I'm not in any way going to congratulate on Orpik signing - that was a stupid signing then - and is hurting the Caps now. The guy was awful in the playoffs this year - and couldn't stay on the ice - and is now entering year 3 of a 5 year deal of being vastly overpaid. Is he a solid player? Sure... but he's not worth ANYWHERE NEAR his salary.

Again, I'm not hating on GMBM for most of the moves - as I've said previously... but the TOP OF THE CAPITALS ROSTER THAT HASN'T GOTTEN IT DONE OVER AND OVER AND OVER always remains the same and nothing has been added to help them out still. It's not the moves he has made - It's the moves he hasn't made. He's still basically taking GMGM's top guys who failed over and over while just tweaking role players and thinking that's going to take them to a cup.

It's hilarious to me that you're literally calling me clueless and acting like the Caps don't have ANY POSSIBILITY to get better by adding a legit top end player when the Caps have had tons of assets, prospects, etc all the time. How do you know It's not possible? What is obvious is GMGM tells the truth and it's obvious he hasn't even tried to do that. He said all along he wanted to just improve the bottom 6/depth guys - which he has kind of done... maybe? Who knows if Eller/Connolly will be that good.

.... and I did criticize GMGM last offseason. I said their team would struggle scoring goals. In the regular season they did do amazing - which surprised me - but when the playoffs started they all started playing like I expected and just like every other postseason. They sucked at scoring goals and they didn't have the top end talent/difference makers to get it done. LA had Gaborik come in and played amazing. CHicago has had guys come in every year and help. Pitt had Kessel come in. Caps didn't have anyone get added that really helps them/you can count on - and sorry - I don't think Lars Eller - a guy who had more than 5 points in one month ONCE all of last season is going to all of a sudden add to our secondary scoring.

... Yet here they go again with the same damn top of roster/counting on the same players once again - for like the 5th/6th year in a row hoping for something different.

Your rants are becoming blather. Stream of conscience crap.

For the gazillionth time, there is a salary cap. You can't keep Fehr, Brouwer, Ward, Green, etc while adding Williams, Oshie, Niskanen, and Orpik. You don't want to trade someone out of the top 6, yet you want to add another top 6 salary/talent. Your plan is to leverage MaJo (who you think sucks, I suppose?) to get said player, and then add as much in the way of prospects and futures as you can to get said additional top 6 talent. you lament that they haven't done that yet, this year (because again,for the millionth time, they did it the previous 2 off-seasons to build the team they have now).

(Edit) -- and if Brouwer was top 6, then what is MaJo?

So again, under GMBM's regime, you are basically upset about this off season. Which isn't over. Which hasn't had a lot of star player movement outside of FA and Taylor Hall, when looking at forwards. It's easy to wish for something, but that's like wishing to win the lottery. You aren't being realistic, and you are being obtuse...all at the same time.

So, we agree to disagree. If the Caps fail next playoffs, I will scream from the rafter "Spinning Wheels was RIGHT!!!"

Or something like that. :naughty:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Back to business, even as a shadow if himself after the Bork hit Backstrom had a hell of a postseason. He put up 4 points in 6 against Pitt while completely shutting down 87. Are people warching these games?

He's lost a lot of speed but he's a Selke level, big C on a fair deal. How do you upgrade that?

He was a beast in the Philly series too.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Backstrom was pretty good in the playoffs. People expect him to score goals in each playoff game but we tend to forget he's a playmaker. He quietly racks up his assists and he shut down Crosby, which was one of the keys to winning that series.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Every coach who has ever won anything will disagree with you.

Not really sure that's true (Daryl Sutter and Gregg Popovich are two examples off the top of my head who rely more on tangibles when explaining success), and there are very specific examples of moves made to improve the "culture" backfiring big time:

Tyler Seguin was traded from Boston because he didn't fit their culture. Now Boston is a trainwreck and Seguin is one of the top players in the NHL with Dallas.

Phil Kessel was branded a loser by Toronto who couldn't do what it took to win. Now all of a sudden he's a winner.

Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were traded from Philadelphia in part because their off-ice transgressions didn't fit in with the culture the Flyers were trying to build. Both ended up in LA and won two Cups. Then Richards came to Washington, branded as a guy who knew how to win. A real character guy to help with the winning culture. He was ineffective and the Capitals still lost in the playoffs.

Dave Bolland, hero of the 2012-13 Blackhawks, went to Florida in part due to bring a winning culture. He failed in that role and is no longer really part of the team.

Same with Dustin Byguglien and Andrew Ladd who went to Atlanta/Winnipeg and have won exactly 0 playoff games.

Sidney Crosby went from winner to coach killer loser back to winner. Does this explanation really hold water for why the Penguins were playoff disappointments from 2010-2015? Or is it more likely that Crosby has always been a great player but that his team was great in 2009 and 2016? Seems to me his being branded as a "loser" is because they lost. Not the other way around.

Weber was brought to Montreal as a "culture change", and I am willing to bet Nashville will be the overwhelming winners of the Subban/Weber trade (already the media is slamming Bergevin for this trade and for good reason).

I have no doubt that some coaches believe certain players are "winners" and that they are the reason the team won. But it takes a lot of guesswork and unverifiable information to claim "winning culture" leads to playoff success when a much simpler explanation works: talent, tactics, and luck. It's fine to speak of culture if you aren't in a position of power, but if culture is the only reason a move is made then you are not very good at your job.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Probably don't. Say Caps flame out again next spring....and if you are looking for a hockey trade??

Say Boston wants to change up their make up, and Krejci or Bergeron are available.

Or Anaheim needs to trade Getzlaf

Or San Jose needs to deal Pavelski or Couture.

Point being, hockey trades happen, teams shake up cores, and great players get dealt. As I said before, I love Nick, but if they flame out again, and the right dance partner shows up....???

I don't know that those players are better, but they are different. Maybe that's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad