Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIV (Arbitration Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My main concern is coaching at this point. After the Capitals blew the 3-1 series lead to the Rangers, Trotz said the team lacked killer instinct because they couldn't finish the Rangers off.

My view is that this was Trotz poo pooing the effect of the Caps history on his team. The goal that tied game 5 v the Rangers was a perfect fit for the Caps narrative. Losing at all after running the rest of the league out of the building was the perfect follow.

They were both chokes. Yea, the Rangers were the President's Trophy winners and of all teams the Caps know that means nothing.

I still say that the way to defeat the team history to embrace it, identify it and beat it. Denying it just doesnt help.

As for Trotz and the hot seat. Either the Caps are going to repeat the breaking of their spirit after losing the Montreal and Trotz will get fired by half way or Trotz will have them playing like they should and they will win the conference again. If after blowing a 3 game lead and then failing to get past the 2nd round twice as a 1 seed, Trotz will have spent his cred and would have to go.

My money is on the character of Trotz to have the ready to take another swing at it this year and they will be the best team in the east again. What happens after that is all about the leadership to get them over that hump.

Lets be honest. I think there are a finite number of times that Ov and Backstrom can fail in the playoffs while holding the better hand and not become so damaged that you cant continue with them. I think they are close to that now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
My money is on the character of Trotz to have the ready to take another swing at it this year and they will be the best team in the east again. What happens after that is all about the leadership to get them over that hump.

Lets be honest. I think there are a finite number of times that Ov and Backstrom can fail in the playoffs while holding the better hand and not become so damaged that you cant continue with them. I think they are close to that now.

Character has nothing to do with tactics. I don't think anyone really questions the character of Trotz, but at some point his tactics have to change. The team played a very passive style at even strength especially during the beginnings of games and he was reluctant to change things that clearly weren't working. This carried through to the playoffs against the Penguins, where it seemed that for all but 1 or 2 games the Penguins came out flying and the Capitals seemingly came out flat.

And I don't think getting rid of the best goal scorer in the NHL or a good center on a good contract will do the team any good just because they are "damaged goods". If Ovechkin starts wearing down and his contract becomes a hindrance on his team, then you can consider your options (same with Backstrom). You don't just get rid of your best players because their team hasn't been able to succeed, you figure out why exactly the team has struggled in the postseason and try to solve those problems.

For the Capitals, I don't think the lack of goal scoring in the playoffs is solved by shipping out the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My view is that this was Trotz poo pooing the effect of the Caps history on his team. The goal that tied game 5 v the Rangers was a perfect fit for the Caps narrative. Losing at all after running the rest of the league out of the building was the perfect follow.

They were both chokes. Yea, the Rangers were the President's Trophy winners and of all teams the Caps know that means nothing.

I still say that the way to defeat the team history to embrace it, identify it and beat it. Denying it just doesnt help.

As for Trotz and the hot seat. Either the Caps are going to repeat the breaking of their spirit after losing the Montreal and Trotz will get fired by half way or Trotz will have them playing like they should and they will win the conference again. If after blowing a 3 game lead and then failing to get past the 2nd round twice as a 1 seed, Trotz will have spent his cred and would have to go.

Honestly? If they lose again, it's probably Backstrom that needs to go. I love him, but with Kuznetsov ready to be a #1, it would make a lot of sense to trade Nick in a hockey trade for another top forward. Swap like the Subban for Weber or Larsson for Hall deals. A high magnitude hockey trade.

I hope they win the Cup and that it doesn't happen. But if they don't, and things need to change? That's probably the move, right there.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Correct on all counts.

Look, I'm not afraid to bash management for what I deem stupid/short-sighted/backwards moves or thinking, as we all know. So I feel like I can be even keeled about this management group.

And they are doing a really good job. I can't say great, until if/when they win the Cup.....but it's really good, now.

And hell, we all know Rutherford was the Penguins Anti-Christ as little as 6mo ago, and was bringing on the Malkin trade apocalypse this summer. Then he made a few moves, fired a coach, and won everything in sight in about 4 months.

Things can change that fast. The Caps foundation today, is as good as anyone's. Period.

To think that there are moves to be made that would guarantee them anything next spring is foolish. Frankly, it's a lot easier to screw it all up with a move, than it is to ensure success. And they haven't done anything to screw it up. Not yet, at least.

Is that you BMac?

Sorry, not buying your Kool-Aid. YOu can keep preaching how great and elite the Caps front office is - but the fact is they're not. You're not an elite organization if you are the team constantly fails the most when it matter most.

Being conservative and scared to make moves? That has never worked. How can you argue that not making a move instead of a major move does more harm than good? What conservative approach and relying on the top guys/keeping them has ever worked in the past for the Caps? How has all the past Caps failures and similar playoff numbers not taught you anything? Also, I'm not saying Caps need to make a significant move and move one of their top guys - I'm just talking about adding a top guy similar to how Pitt added Kessel (they didn't move any of their big time/core players).... and Caps have even better prospects/more picks than Pitt!

How can you say the Caps foundation is as good as anyones in the NHL? They haven't been out of the second round in.... well since the Cup year last century and NEVER in BMacs 15 years in the Caps organization.

Past Cup winners? Pitt has made tons of significant changes. LA Kings? They made BIG TIME moves for their cup wins and sitll make big time moves. Chicago? Another team that constantly trades their first rd picks and brings in real talent around their top guys. All the recent Cup winners have been WAY MORE ACTIVE in adding top players to their team than the Caps.

Just look at the Caps past half decade of playoff numbers. 100 games - more than a sample size... Barely over 2 goals per game and have finished 14, 15, 15, and 9th in goals per game of the 16 playoff teams. Holtby's career GAA in the playoffs is 1.87...... and he's under .500. These numbers aren't dragged down by 1 or 2 really bad playoffs either. EVERY playoffs Caps suck at scoring goals - and EVERY playoffs Holtby has played elite. The results are always the same - and it's alway the same top end players that are a part of it. How can you year after year never even get to 2.5 goals per game in the playoffs but think bottom 6 moves are what's going to fix that? Bottom 6 guys are bottom 6 guys for a reason...

It blows my mind people are okay and thinking things are just going to be different now because we had a Lars Eller type move. Stop looking at the overall reg season numbers b/c it is exaggerated b/c of the Caps hot start in October - December. IF you watched the last half of the Caps season - you'd see this team wasn't a minor move away from having a real shot. They weren't playing well going into the playoffs and they were even slipping at the deadline - but all they did was add Weber for "insurance". End result - They won one playoff series - the same as 8 other teams.... Same thing as usual.

BMac has been in the Caps front office since 2001. It's been 15 years and people are still acting like he's changed this Caps team into such a great organization and that he's so new. You aren't GMGM's right hand man FOR OVER A DECADE unless you're on the same page/have a lot of the same ideas/etc as GMGM.

All GMGM has done is make the Caps good again - and Caps with the talent they have shouldn't try to just be good - they should be trying to be great like the GREAT franchises do. They have the top talent to do so. They have a top 15 defender, two top 15 offensive players, and arguably the best goalie in the game.

How can you say the Caps should stick to the same approach and not do any major moves? I just don't get that. You say they're close - I say they're at the same spot they've been for a decade. How has history over and over and over not taught you better? This team needs a GAMECHANGER like Gaborik was to LA - like Kessel was to Pitt - etc. Caps should find a way to make that happen. They've had/have the draft picks to make something like that happen. I can be figured out - but never has or doesn't look like it is. BMac seems completely happy with just adding a 3rd line center this offseason. Jesus...

Good news is Caps will probably have the best start of season roster again - and will be up to the cap to start the year too again. so we'll probably win the midseason Stanley Cup baby! .... Oh wait, that doesn't exist and doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Honestly? If they lose again, it's probably Backstrom that needs to go. I love him, but with Kuznetsov ready to be a #1, it would make a lot of sense to trade Nick in a hockey trade for another top forward. Swap like the Subban for Weber or Larsson for Hall deals. A high magnitude hockey trade.

I hope they win the Cup and that it doesn't happen. But if they don't, and things need to change? That's probably the move, right there.

I don't think you trade your best players when you're trying to get better.

You add more best players to your team by giving up prospects, draft picks, or an abundance of role players to get a top player.

Backstrom in no way is a player that makes a team better by adding by subtracting. You aren't going to have someone come in and just be better than him probably. The odds of that are very slim.

Plus, Caps have tried for years to solidify a second line center. If they move Backstrom and have Kuzy as the #1 - It's the same thing/issue once again. What are they going to do? Have Eller be the #2 center or some rookie from Hershey? No one in the organization looks anywhere close after Kuzy/Backstrom to be a top 6 center.

Backstrom is very far from the issue. Look at the Blackhawks. They have Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford... they add great talent around them. They don't move those players. Same thing with Pitt. They never moved Malkin, Crosby, or Letang - they added great players to join them. Look at LA with Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick - none of them are going anywhere - but studs are coming in to join them constantly.

I like a lot of the Caps moves they've made. Eller isn't a bad 3rd line option. Connolly I actualyl think has nothing but upside. Williams was a great deal. Nisky overpayment at the time I even liked. However, the big difference making move still hasn't happened that really makes me go "Oh yeah, that's the difference making move that can take Caps to the next level".

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Capitals really should take a look at James Wisniewski as a third pairing D. He's a right shot puck-moving, good possession defenseman and could fill in on PP2 if either Niskanen or Carlson are injured, and as a third pairing defenseman he'd be a great fit.

He's coming off a torn ACL but he should be ready for training camp and after getting bought out, it seems like a perfect buy-low opportunity. This is the type of player that could easily provide equal or better value than Orpik for probably less than $1.5M against the cap.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Your welcome ;)

I am pleased to announce that I am replacing him. Now you all get to see my mostly incorrect posts more often but this time I will do it with more big words :)

If you could work the word tenesmus in to one of your earliest posts, then I'll definitely become one of your loyal followers.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Or, you know, somewhere in between. There are a lot of possibilities. Pittsburgh could run things wire-to-wire. The Lightning or Panthers could separate themselves. There's also the additional World Cup games and compressed schedule to factor in. The Caps should be a safe playoff team in the Metro given all that's occurred this summer. I'm sure Trotz will have them ready to compete again and they probably won't collapse unless they get hit with injuries. But there are a lot of different playoff outcomes that could still lead to Trotz staying put. I don't think the leash is quite that short yet.

If Trotz has to go then, yeah, Ovechkin and Backstrom probably might as well go also. They're going to need different standard bearers up front if they continue to fail and don't know why. If all that needs to happen then they should move on from MacLellan too because they're going to need a fresh set of eyes and a different way of operating fundamentally. It may just be that these dogs can't learn new tricks for when it matters. It's asking a lot for the newer guys to make the difference, esp. when it becomes more about withstanding and dominating physically in order to do so (and haven't little disciplined structural team attacking).

The mental game tends to be the difference maker and it's still not really close to on point. Years and years of that takes its toll and may be what they're all searching for (or maybe disconnected from altogether due to so many changes over the years). Like I said shortly after their season ended, a sports psychologist could make a huge impact on this franchise. But they'd need to realize the need for it first and that there's more to the game than raw skill, a system and staying within their comfort zone.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The Capitals really should take a look at James Wisniewski as a third pairing D. He's a right shot puck-moving, good possession defenseman and could fill in on PP2 if either Niskanen or Carlson are injured, and as a third pairing defenseman he'd be a great fit.

He's coming off a torn ACL but he should be ready for training camp and after getting bought out, it seems like a perfect buy-low opportunity. This is the type of player that could easily provide equal or better value than Orpik for probably less than $1.5M against the cap.

I think he'd be an amazing addition.

Adds depth with Schmidt as RHD and Chorney as well. Good D depth right there.

Wis I think still could be a 25-35 point guy while providing excellent 15-18 mins/game.

However, I'd only make this move if Caps still have money leftover. They should save 1.5-2.5 to have plenty of cap space available by the deadline.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Character has nothing to do with tactics. I don't think anyone really questions the character of Trotz, but at some point his tactics have to change. The team played a very passive style at even strength especially during the beginnings of games and he was reluctant to change things that clearly weren't working. This carried through to the playoffs against the Penguins, where it seemed that for all but 1 or 2 games the Penguins came out flying and the Capitals seemingly came out flat.

And I don't think getting rid of the best goal scorer in the NHL or a good center on a good contract will do the team any good just because they are "damaged goods". If Ovechkin starts wearing down and his contract becomes a hindrance on his team, then you can consider your options (same with Backstrom). You don't just get rid of your best players because their team hasn't been able to succeed, you figure out why exactly the team has struggled in the postseason and try to solve those problems.

For the Capitals, I don't think the lack of goal scoring in the playoffs is solved by shipping out the best goal scorer in the NHL.

I didnt question Trotz character. I said in fact that believing in his character u think the pulls the team thru the heartbreak of that lost opportunity to focus on this season.

As for as the losing and its effect on the long time team members, you are not listening. You are absolutely wrong if you think the losing in the playoffs, the way this team loses doesnt have a last effect on these players. If this was an also ran team that lost, it would not be a big deal. This is a team that proves itself to be a contender and then they lose in some epic way. The kind of loss that most players may have to deal with once in their careers. For Ov its his entire career. Year after year. At somepoint he is going to break if he doesnt win first.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That would mean that the Caps failed to get past round 2 again. Only this time with Kuznetsov lighting it up. I think if 92 is producing, the Caps are winning. If he struggles again, I dont see the Caps reacting to that by trading Backstrom.

Of course having Center strenth is better.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I didnt question Trotz character. I said in fact that believing in his character u think the pulls the team thru the heartbreak of that lost opportunity to focus on this season.

As for as the losing and its effect on the long time team members, you are not listening. You are absolutely wrong if you think the losing in the playoffs, the way this team loses doesnt have a last effect on these players. If this was an also ran team that lost, it would not be a big deal. This is a team that proves itself to be a contender and then they lose in some epic way. The kind of loss that most players may have to deal with once in their careers. For Ov its his entire career. Year after year. At somepoint he is going to break if he doesnt win first.

Never said you questioned his character, I just mentioned that Trotz being a good man and good leader doesn't necessarily mean he employs the correct tactics to win come playoff time. I'm reasonably sure the Capitals will have another good regular season next year, but I question whether Trotz can get this team playing aggressive hockey come playoff time.

Regarding Ovechkin: he's lost in heartbreaking fashion since 2008 and has had the media pummel him left and right, yet he's still the best goalscorer in the league and isn't showing signs of slowing down. I'm sure past playoff failures weigh on him emotionally but there's no proof that it has or will affect his game. He's more likely to break down due to age and physical wear-and-tear than due to playoff disappointments weighing him down.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Never said you questioned his character, I just mentioned that Trotz being a good man and good leader doesn't necessarily mean he employs the correct tactics to win come playoff time. I'm reasonably sure the Capitals will have another good regular season next year, but I question whether Trotz can get this team playing aggressive hockey come playoff time.

Regarding Ovechkin: he's lost in heartbreaking fashion since 2008 and has had the media pummel him left and right, yet he's still the best goalscorer in the league and isn't showing signs of slowing down. I'm sure past playoff failures weigh on him emotionally but there's no proof that it has or will affect his game. He's more likely to break down due to age and physical wear-and-tear than due to playoff disappointments weighing him down.

You are ignoring the two year bump in the road that directly followed losing to Montreal. His two worst seasons came right after that and in my view as a result of that. The lack of scoring brought on the Boudreau change to defense first and the continued lack of scoring resulted in Boudreau and out Hunter in.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So does anyone think anyone in the Caps front office makes a move to Las Vegas?

no idea, and really have no idea who is actually in there and if they are good or not. i just know mahoney cant go anywhere since he is already an assistant gm and las vegas isnt a promotion

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think he'd be an amazing addition.

Adds depth with Schmidt as RHD and Chorney as well. Good D depth right there.

Wis I think still could be a 25-35 point guy while providing excellent 15-18 mins/game.

However, I'd only make this move if Caps still have money leftover. They should save 1.5-2.5 to have plenty of cap space available by the deadline.

They won't be able to sign him without shedding salary. They have $8M in space before Johansson and Orlov's deals and there's no conceivable way that they come in for less than $7M combined, leaving just $1M left.

It's more of a pipe-dream at this point given the cap situation, but adding a RHD who can log quality bottom pairing minutes and likely wouldn't look out of place filling in on the second pairing for what I believe would be less than $1.5M seems like an absolute no-brainer. Especially since they only have 2 RHD in their top 7 (Carlson and Niskanen).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You are ignoring the two year bump in the road that directly followed losing to Montreal. His two worst seasons came right after that and in my view as a result of that. The lack of scoring brought on the Boudreau change to defense first and the continued lack of scoring resulted in Boudreau and out Hunter in.

Ovechkin shot way below his career shooting percentage in 2010-11. His 32 goals would have been closer to 45 goals if he shot at his career rates. And in 2011-12 Hunter and Ovechkin never saw eye to eye and I think bad coaching is probably why his point totals dropped more than Ovechkin himself having some sort of mental letdown due to past playoff failures.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So does anyone think anyone in the Caps front office makes a move to Las Vegas?

Not sure, but I'm glad they promoted Mahoney since it will make it much more difficult for McPhee to pry him away.

no idea, and really have no idea who is actually in there and if they are good or not. i just know mahoney cant go anywhere since he is already an assistant gm and las vegas isnt a promotion

That depends. We don't know Mahoney's contract situation. Similarly, it's not impossible for an organization to allow an executive to take a lateral move to another franchise, just far more unlikely.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Gormless!

I wonder if he thinks his final piece was along the lines of Katie's final tell all article.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Yeah. That heartbreak really hurt Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau and Couture.

Most players across all sports never come close to a championship, but you put on your big boy pants and try your damndest.

The problem isn't magic or curses or Sisyphus' rock. It's Trotz's idiotic game plan and a lack of complementary players who can score at even strength.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Gormless!

I wonder if he thinks his final piece was along the lines of Katie's final tell all article.

That was the weirdest thing because I thought Katie Carrera kind of phoned it in on the beat, and then she came out with that article which was brilliant and had a lot of inside information that was previously hidden from the fans.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Is that you BMac?

Sorry, not buying your Kool-Aid. YOu can keep preaching how great and elite the Caps front office is - but the fact is they're not. You're not an elite organization if you are the team constantly fails the most when it matter most.

Being conservative and scared to make moves? That has never worked. How can you argue that not making a move instead of a major move does more harm than good? What conservative approach and relying on the top guys/keeping them has ever worked in the past for the Caps? How has all the past Caps failures and similar playoff numbers not taught you anything? Also, I'm not saying Caps need to make a significant move and move one of their top guys - I'm just talking about adding a top guy similar to how Pitt added Kessel (they didn't move any of their big time/core players).... and Caps have even better prospects/more picks than Pitt!

How can you say the Caps foundation is as good as anyones in the NHL? They haven't been out of the second round in.... well since the Cup year last century and NEVER in BMacs 15 years in the Caps organization.

Past Cup winners? Pitt has made tons of significant changes. LA Kings? They made BIG TIME moves for their cup wins and sitll make big time moves. Chicago? Another team that constantly trades their first rd picks and brings in real talent around their top guys. All the recent Cup winners have been WAY MORE ACTIVE in adding top players to their team than the Caps.

Just look at the Caps past half decade of playoff numbers. 100 games - more than a sample size... Barely over 2 goals per game and have finished 14, 15, 15, and 9th in goals per game of the 16 playoff teams. Holtby's career GAA in the playoffs is 1.87...... and he's under .500. These numbers aren't dragged down by 1 or 2 really bad playoffs either. EVERY playoffs Caps suck at scoring goals - and EVERY playoffs Holtby has played elite. The results are always the same - and it's alway the same top end players that are a part of it. How can you year after year never even get to 2.5 goals per game in the playoffs but think bottom 6 moves are what's going to fix that? Bottom 6 guys are bottom 6 guys for a reason...

It blows my mind people are okay and thinking things are just going to be different now because we had a Lars Eller type move. Stop looking at the overall reg season numbers b/c it is exaggerated b/c of the Caps hot start in October - December. IF you watched the last half of the Caps season - you'd see this team wasn't a minor move away from having a real shot. They weren't playing well going into the playoffs and they were even slipping at the deadline - but all they did was add Weber for "insurance". End result - They won one playoff series - the same as 8 other teams.... Same thing as usual.

BMac has been in the Caps front office since 2001. It's been 15 years and people are still acting like he's changed this Caps team into such a great organization and that he's so new. You aren't GMGM's right hand man FOR OVER A DECADE unless you're on the same page/have a lot of the same ideas/etc as GMGM.

All GMGM has done is make the Caps good again - and Caps with the talent they have shouldn't try to just be good - they should be trying to be great like the GREAT franchises do. They have the top talent to do so. They have a top 15 defender, two top 15 offensive players, and arguably the best goalie in the game.

How can you say the Caps should stick to the same approach and not do any major moves? I just don't get that. You say they're close - I say they're at the same spot they've been for a decade. How has history over and over and over not taught you better? This team needs a GAMECHANGER like Gaborik was to LA - like Kessel was to Pitt - etc. Caps should find a way to make that happen. They've had/have the draft picks to make something like that happen. I can be figured out - but never has or doesn't look like it is. BMac seems completely happy with just adding a 3rd line center this offseason. Jesus...

Good news is Caps will probably have the best start of season roster again - and will be up to the cap to start the year too again. so we'll probably win the midseason Stanley Cup baby! .... Oh wait, that doesn't exist and doesn't mean anything.

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad