Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I could see the Panthers, Isles, and Blues offering significantly better assets than us. I think he better fits needs in those places, and they'd be more desperate to improve. He's a really good fit for St. Louis in particular, who seriously lack goal-scoring depth after Tarasenko.

Dan Hamhuis/Roman Polak/Nicklas Grossmann/Kris Russell would be a lot cheaper than Buff and serve the same purpose.

Dam Hamhuis might not even be an upgrade after that eye injury. Marc Staal had that and he's basically all but done now. Nicklas Grossmann was traded from our divisional rival and one of the worst defenses in the NHL (Flyers) because he could barely crack their line-up. He was healthy scratched several times before that trade if i remember correctly. Orlov and Schmidt are both better.

Roman Polak is a good bottom-pairing option.

Calgary is still trying to extend Kris Russell. He'd be good option but he's not anywhere near the player Byfuglien is. I wouldn't give up that 1st round pick for him that Flames seem to want in return.

Why would the Jets want Hamonic? They've probably got the best set of RHD in the league already with Myers, Byfuglien, and Trouba.

I know that. They'd propably move one of those to the left-side if they were to acquire Hamonic. That's the only way it makes any kind of sense to me. I don't know why they want Hamonic, but unless all the reports regarding that subject are false, they do.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
CZlisvjUYAABWS0.png:large

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't see how Byfuglien is a perfect fit.

He's an RD when we already have Carlson, Niskanen and Orlov on the right side.

He takes bad penalties and is error prone. We need more Alzners.

This is a bit over-simplified, but basically how I feel. The marginal upgrades our powerplay would see by swapping out Niskanen and adding Byfuglien and increased 3rd pairing depth would not be worth the assets it would take to acquire Byfuglien and fit him under the salary cap. Byfuglien is a luxury asset, at best.

With the uncertainty surrounding Orpik's recovery and play, the real place to add on defense right now seems to be a top 4 LD to play with Carlson. That allows Schmidt to thrive against lower competition and for Orpik to be eased back into action in a limited role.

Dan Hamhuis/Roman Polak/Nicklas Grossmann/Kris Russell would be a lot cheaper than Buff and serve the same purpose.
Hamhuis is the guy I really want, depending on how things shake out when he returns from injury. That injury is a pretty huge question mark right now, but he seems like the ideal fit.

Grossmann is a possibility, but would be more of a 3rd pairing guy. The issues with Philly's defense wasn't so much the depth or bottom pairing, but the top end. That was a defense with essentially 8 #4-6 defenders fighting for ice time, but nobody worth matching against top competition. Grossmann wasn't a typical scratch option, despite some thinking he should be. He's a prototypical stay-at-home shot-blocker, but he's not mobile at all and is terrible at getting the puck out of the zone. For depth purposes he could serve a role, but I'm not in love with him.

Polak is similar to Grossmann, but better. His assignments haven't been quite as difficult, but his numbers are slightly more impressive. Either way, I'd be more inclined to have Orpik serve the role of the 3rd pairing, physical, stay-at-home defenseman than spending assets to go get another one.

Russell is just bad. I have no idea why Calgary values him. He's an undersized PMD, but he's not particularly great at moving the puck up ice and provides very little offense. Nate Schmidt is twice the player Kris Russell is. Russell's possession stats are bad, despite his balanced usage, and possession stats usually favor the mobile PMDs far more than defensive defensemen. Zero interest in Russell.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Buff is not a good fit, we're loaded at RD. He'd be on the 3rd pair below Carlson and Niskanen.

Defensive depth is huge in the playoffs, and Niskanen was fairly bad last year.

They could always add more grit if they're going up against NY or Chicago /LA.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I've just been laughing at this Byfuglien thing, but could you imagine if he took the Oshie spot on PP2? :laugh:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Loui Eriksson's name has come up in the rumors. He certainly is a guy capable of playing the top 6 or bottom 6.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Eriksson-Kuznetsov-Williams
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson
Laich/Latta/Burakovsky-Beagle-Richards

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Boston has a pretty good chance of playing the Caps in the 1st round. That would be enough to kill that idea.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Loui Eriksson's name has come up in the rumors. He certainly is a guy capable of playing the top 6 or bottom 6.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson

Burakovsky has been amazing of late. Burakovsky earned a spot in the top 9 in the playoffs last year and really needs to be in the top 6.

He's younger and faster than Eriksson, would cost ZERO assets, and would benefit greatly from the seasoning. If Burakovsky falters then Johansson can slot in easily his spot and Trotz lucky charm goes to 3C.

Not to mention what TX said about Boston being a potential playoff opponent.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
@NHLAdamK

Scouts in Philly for Flyers-Bruins tonight: Blue Jackets (2), Lightning, Canucks, Capitals, Red Wings

Scouting Loui?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
@NHLAdamK

Scouts in Philly for Flyers-Bruins tonight: Blue Jackets (2), Lightning, Canucks, Capitals, Red Wings

Scouting Loui?
I hope not.

These updates about scouts present are likely meaningless. I'm sure there are Caps' scouts at games every night. It's due diligence.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Defensive depth is huge in the playoffs, and Niskanen was fairly bad last year.

They could always add more grit if they're going up against NY or Chicago /LA.

Grit does not necessarily mean gut the prospect pool to get Buff. I think he doesn't fit well on the team, he's not a very smart player to begin with. He's very talented and strong though, that's for sure. I think a more conservative Dman in the mold of Alzner is what we need.

When Evgeny Kuznetsov farts, it smells like scoring chances.

You bet it does!
The guy could throw the puck on the tape of a teammate for an assist from 50 ft away blindfolded. He is easily the best skater on the team from a technique POV, only Schmidt gives him a run for his money.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Burakovsky has been amazing of late. Burakovsky earned a spot in the top 9 in the playoffs last year and really needs to be in the top 6.

He's younger and faster than Eriksson, would cost ZERO assets, and would benefit greatly from the seasoning. If Burakovsky falters then Johansson can slot in easily his spot and Trotz lucky charm goes to 3C.

Not to mention what TX said about Boston being a potential playoff opponent.

Eriksson is 4 times better than Burakovsky, what the hell are you talking about. And you're not even accounting for injuries and the usual disappointing performances we see every playoffs.

Anyways TX makes a good point but he's just one of the few wingers (potentially available) who can play anywhere on your roster, unlike Bura who has held a top 6 spot for like 5 games.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson

I don't buy the Eriksson rumors. The source on the main boards is a Boston reporter speculating based entirely on Eriksson having the same agent as Soderberg and Hamilton and the Bruins director of player personnel being at a Sharks-Wild game. He's also dumb enough to think the Bruins could pair an expiring contract in Eriksson with their 1st and Subban to get someone like Vatanen, Trouba, or Brodin. I like Loui a lot, but I really doubt he's available.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Why would the Jets want Hamonic? They've probably got the best set of RHD in the league already with Myers, Byfuglien, and Trouba.

Well.... Where do it start?

Buff is prob going to leave as a FA. So there is that.

Ham wants to be traded. There is that too.

Ham has some sort of NTC, and wants to be close to home (he's from the Peg). So there is that too.

Ham is signed beyond Buff, and the Peg is in a budget. So there is that, too.....

Peg need to build for next year, as this year is toast. So there is that, too....

Need I say more??

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
@NHLAdamK

Scouting Loui?

They haven't seen NHL hockey live in almost a week. Gotta watch something?

Bruins are not subtracting. They are adding. So think Flyers, not Bruins.

Oh and it is the Caps next opponent. So there is that.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

Ham has some sort of NTC, and wants to be close to home (he's from the Peg). So there is that too.

Ham is signed beyond Buff, and the Peg is in a budget. So there is that, too.....

Peg need to build for next year, as this year is toast. So there is that, too....

Need I say more??

Last I heard negotiations had broken down with Ladd and the Jets were now focusing on re-signing Byfuglien. Even without him, trading for Hamonic and playing either him, Myers, or Trouba on the 3rd pairing or their off-side isn't a good use of resources for a team with bigger problems.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Need I say more??

Hamhuis is not from the Peg. He is from Smithers, British Columbia.

EDIT: Oops...I see you are talking about Hamonic.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
1. Ericsson is Bruins' 2nd scorer. Just like last year. With plenty time on PK.

I've already mentioned I'll gladly see him in Caps uniform. Like 20 times. That's just hard to see until summer. Bura-Backstrom-Ericsson would burn down some villages.

The only problem (not for us) I see - Ericsson could thrive in some other team, not Julien's. So he can wait for summer and say them bye-bye. Do they keep him, having not much of a chance to win it all (debatable)?

2. Jets can trade Buff and trade for Ham separately. Trouba+ for Ham+ could be a trade still. Myers left me with impression of his strong play all over the ice in Caps-Jets games. So they would be quite good at RD anyway. Still I bet EDM would pay more for Ham.

But do they need to change young Trouba for older and mostly underachieving player like Hamonic? I mean wasn't he supposed to be MORE?

Jets could just send Buff for Fehr + Maata + #1 :P

3. We need bottom-6 upgrade. If he's able to play top-6 in a pinch - all the better. But I'm not sure Ladd will get into top-6 over Bura/Mojo/Chimmer even if an injury occurs. So strictly bottom-6 upgrade should be enough.

In this sense Ericsson is much better (and even more expensive) than Ladd. The bonuses? Ericsson > Ladd as a player, surely top-6, have chemistry with Backy, should have chemistry with Swedes, there is some chance to sign him after season. If you're banking on one of TJO/JW leaving after 2 years, you can try to sign Ericsson. That's the Swedish Dream Line in the making.

PS: 1y contract ~ 4M for Ericsson. Pipe dream, I understand, but he can make himself a fortune (for a next contract) scoring around 70 points on a powerhouse.

PPS: I'll just leave it here

Ovechkin-Johansson-Wilson
Ericsson-Backstrom-Oshie
Burakovsky-Kuznetsov-Williams
Chimera-Richards-Beagle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad