Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Buff or Ladd need minutes. We aren't trading top assets for these kinds of players as we won't have anyone to displace in the lineup with. For example Ladd is a LW. We aren't moving Ovie and Chimera is playing exceptional at 3LW. Burakovsky/Johansson are very good at 2LW. Why bump one of them out of the lineup AND trade scarce top assets for a UFA who would be a marginal upgrade (and yes if you don't like Brouwer in the playoffs then you won't like Ladd)

Key injuries would be the only reason we need a "minute guy" (ie top 9 forward, top 4 dman)

With Beagle, Carlson and Orpik on the road to recovery I see only depth maneuvers if any for the Caps.

"If ain't broke don't break it."

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't see how Byfuglien is a perfect fit.

He's an RD when we already have Carlson, Niskanen and Orlov on the right side.

He takes bad penalties and is error prone. We need more Alzners.

We're soft on D (and in general) without Orpik. Orlov has played on the left side before and I'm sure he could do it again. Buff can also play up front if need be. That's the logic.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It's an interesting case. He does have modified no-trade clause (details unknown) this season, so he can block the trades to atleast some teams.

Penguins can't fit him under the cap without losing someone, and they already traded their 1st round pick for Phil Kessel.
I could see the Panthers, Isles, and Blues offering significantly better assets than us. I think he better fits needs in those places, and they'd be more desperate to improve. He's a really good fit for St. Louis in particular, who seriously lack goal-scoring depth after Tarasenko.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Buff is not a good fit, we're loaded at RD. He'd be on the 3rd pair below Carlson and Niskanen.

Right. He'd be on the 3rd pair either way as there is no room for him in the top 4 with a healthy Orpik.

Buff is averaging 24 mins a night. He's not a good fit for the 3rd pair and he's defensive awareness is below either Orlov or Schmidt.

A cheap Gleason-like depth acquisition would be what we'd be looking at if anything. Chorney/Orlov/Schmidt is a good 5-7 so I'm not even sure we'd do that (again unless injury)

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I could see the Panthers, Isles, and Blues offering significantly better assets than us. I think he better fits needs in those places, and they'd be more desperate to improve. He's a really good fit for St. Louis in particular, who seriously lack goal-scoring depth after Tarasenko.

I would think WPG tries to move him east. Like you said, FLA and NYI make a lot of sense. Rangers are also desperate to make something happen but I'm not sure if they have the space to do anything.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Higher first round picks in particular most likely. Detroit and Anaheim also make sense.

Byfuglien's defensive zone awareness isn't below Orlov's and he probably should be on PP2 over Niskanen if added (if not PP1). That would allow them to rest Niskanen a bit in the event that 27/2 is chosen to be the top shutdown pair over 44/74 (as may be the way to go). Plus, the heaviness generally. I don't think they'd play him at forward unless injuries dictate it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I don't think we'll see Ladd traded to another Western team. It might happen if someone is actually willing to overpay, but i don't see that happening as Ladd is having a down year. Panthers would definitely be in the mix, but i don't know about the Islanders. If they are going for it this season it definitely makes lots of sense to go after Ladd but are they? Tavares is struggling, and adding Ladd it means they'll have 3 key UFA's in the summer (Okposo, Nielsen), and there are already rumours that they might lose one of them even before Ladd is even added. Plus you'll just know that once Islanders call Jets about Ladd, the discussion takes a shift turn to Travis Hamonic.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
Ladd could be great for this team, but if Burakovsky keeps developing through the season, don't think we need him. The chemistry now is great, so why try to fix something that isn't broken. Only thing this team needs to do is defeat some playoff demons, not stack up rentals and lose good prospects. Richards is looking like a fantastic addition, somewhat fixing our center problem, didn't cost us anything.

Only thing I would like to maybe acquire is a depth defenseman that is better than Chorney, but only if Orpik cant play this season, or looks really bad.

capsfan3

Feb 2, 2015
What about Kevin Shattenkirk? gonna cost more but would be a serious upgrade. just a thought

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
why not move Orlov in that deal? Have Shatty for another year, and then slot in Bowey or some other plug in there. Go all in.

because Salary cap.

Same reason you don't want Mike Green making $6 mil as a 5/6 D.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Orlov+ laich more than takes care of his hit. his cap hit is like 4.25 i believe.

I didn't see Laich included.

But lets say he is....St Louis is only considering trading Shattenkirk b/c of his salary and how they are up against the Cap.

Why would they take Laich???? Why would they INCREASE their cap situation and give away the best player in the deal??

This doesn't work on many many levels.

capsfan3

Feb 2, 2015
And why in the world does St Louis do that?

Obviously there would be more involved. It just a thought because they are going to move him because they won't resign him. They would prob want a offensive prospect coming back. But just throwing out ideas. GMBM fleeced armstrong once, why not try and do it again.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Dan Hamhuis/Roman Polak/Nicklas Grossmann/Kris Russell would be a lot cheaper than Buff and serve the same purpose.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I don't think we'll see Ladd traded to another Western team. It might happen if someone is actually willing to overpay, but i don't see that happening as Ladd is having a down year. Panthers would definitely be in the mix, but i don't know about the Islanders. If they are going for it this season it definitely makes lots of sense to go after Ladd but are they? Tavares is struggling, and adding Ladd it means they'll have 3 key UFA's in the summer (Okposo, Nielsen), and there are already rumours that they might lose one of them even before Ladd is even added. Plus you'll just know that once Islanders call Jets about Ladd, the discussion takes a shift turn to Travis Hamonic.

Why would the Jets want Hamonic? They've probably got the best set of RHD in the league already with Myers, Byfuglien, and Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad