Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXV (Any Given Someday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The concept of fans judging a team's state based on a group hug is patently absurd.

Patently absurd, I say!:laugh:

Actually, as humans we're designed to read the body language, facial expressions and behavior of others in order to make these exact kind of judgments. It's part of our survival and socialization mechanism that's hardwired into our brains. And for fans who scrutinize probably more than is healthy every single game, it's pretty likely that some kind of deviation from the norm will get noticed.

Also, all you did was google some pics, and most of those were from past seasons (a few pretty old). That doesn't prove the group hugs are a regular thing. Teams will frequently congratulate the goaltender and pat each other on the helmet, but you rarely see a coming together like the one in question unless there as a big win or some kind of emotional element (which could have been the case in the pics you posted, absent context, regular season or not).

This team has shown some serious resiliency and mental toughness late in games despite some horribly unfair officiating and/or other obstacles. I don't think it's any coincidence that they're pulling these games out, winning back to back matches instead of folding, winning games with the backup in net, and so many other things that would previously have knocked them off their game. Not to mention guys who are already hurt throwing themselves in front of slapshots like it's nothing.

They're rallying in support of each other as a team, and it seems pretty clear that they really, really want to do whatever it takes to win.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We all see what we want to see (and I've watched the Caps as long as anyone..since the late 70's...so lets not play that card, its silly).

Sure, the team is close. I get it.

But that's due to Trotz. Sprinkle in maturation as well. Those 2 elements wont quickly go out the window if they add some players. This whole chemistry piece is being way over blown. Trotz and GMBM know the room a helluva lot better than we do. So if they add, then they knew it would work. I trust those 2. This isnt some George/Adam combo that isnt communicating. These guys are a team.

Look-- In watching all the deep playoff runs over the years, and in also watching the Caps failings...you always see depth winning out. Players get injured in the playoffs....all the time. We are ONE MORE defensive injury away from having to start Chorney and XXXX (insert one of Stanton/Carrick/Ness, etc). That could be the difference in winning a series vs losing it.

Caps need to add depth, period. Especially on D. Worrying about ego's is the least of their worries.

Bingo. Outside fans trying to read body language and victory celebrations as signs of team chemistry is ridiculous. Let the people with actual knowledge of the situation make those judgements. And do so with the knowledge of what type of roster it takes to handle the haul in the playoffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bingo. Outside fans trying to read body language and victory celebrations as signs of team chemistry is ridiculous. Let the people with actual knowledge of the situation make those judgements. And do so with the knowledge of what type of roster it takes to handle the haul in the playoffs.

You realize these are fan opinions, right? It's not copy from vetted journalists in an article that demands scrutiny for accuracy and sourcing. You're free to disagree.

Would you say this team doesn't have any chemistry at all? How would you make that determination? Are you saying there's no way to judge that whatsoever unless you're on the bench and in the locker room? Tight teams and fractured teams look the same to fans?

Why assume fans have never been a part of a tight, bonded sports team before? I'd bet many here have and can see the signs.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
sometimes the greatest perceptions don't come from within but from the outside, that's where we fit as fans. I'm not saying that upgrading a bottom 6 player would be detrimental to the team in any fashion. I really don't think the bottom 6 (primarily checking) chemistry is as important as top 6 (scoring).

Trotz does want 3 scoring lines though and one checking yes?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Patently absurd, I say!:laugh:

Actually, as humans we're designed to read the body language, facial expressions and behavior of others in order to make these exact kind of judgments. It's part of our survival and socialization mechanism that's hardwired into our brains. And for fans who scrutinize probably more than is healthy every single game, it's pretty likely that some kind of deviation from the norm will get noticed.

Also, all you did was google some pics, and most of those were from past seasons (a few pretty old). That doesn't prove the group hugs are a regular thing. Teams will frequently congratulate the goaltender and pat each other on the helmet, but you rarely see a coming together like the one in question unless there as a big win or some kind of emotional element (which could have been the case in the pics you posted, absent context, regular season or not).

This team has shown some serious resiliency and mental toughness late in games despite some horribly unfair officiating and/or other obstacles. I don't think it's any coincidence that they're pulling these games out, winning back to back matches instead of folding, winning games with the backup in net, and so many other things that would previously have knocked them off their game. Not to mention guys who are already hurt throwing themselves in front of slapshots like it's nothing.

They're rallying in support of each other as a team, and it seems pretty clear that they really, really want to do whatever it takes to win.

Thats all well and good.....but it should in no way preclude the people that...you know....actually created this team, to improve it where needed.

Orpik stays hurt, and then say Niskanen or Alzner goes down in round 2 versus the Rangers. We lose to them as we are having to play Chorney AND Stanton/Carrick/Ness. Awesome.

At least we will be able to say "yes, but our team chemistry wasnt upset or imbalanced, so thankfully we still have that to hold onto...those special moments during the season that bonded us!!!"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You realize these are fan opinions, right? It's not copy from vetted journalists in an article that demands scrutiny for accuracy and sourcing. You're free to disagree.

Would you say this team doesn't have any chemistry at all? How would you make that determination? Are you saying there's no way to judge that whatsoever unless you're on the bench and in the locker room? Tight teams and fractured teams look the same to fans?

Why assume fans have never been a part of a tight, bonded sports team before? I'd bet many here have and can see the signs.

Fans should be cognizant enough of the limitations on their knowledge. Very few are professional athletes, and none are members of the Washington Capitals or its management. Whatever experience with a "tight, bonded" team they had in high school or college isn't going to apply much to the Capitals, especially when viewed in hindsight. The bottom line is we don't know what goes on in the locker room, what is said between players and coaches, what happens during team meetings, and how each one of this collection of individuals feels. Trying to make meaningful insights based on the scraps of information we have would be foolish when compared to those who have access to a much larger amount of information.

In other words, opinions based on too little information shouldn't be given credence.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thats all well and good.....but it should in no way preclude the people that...you know....actually created this team, to improve it where needed.

Orpik stays hurt, and then say Niskanen or Alzner goes down in round 2 versus the Rangers. We lose to them as we are having to play Chorney AND Stanton/Carrick/Ness. Awesome.

At least we will be able to say "yes, but our team chemistry wasnt upset or imbalanced, so thankfully we still have that to hold onto...those special moments during the season that bonded us!!!"

You and I agree on just how much movement should be made (1 maybe 2 players, probably bottom forward and d-man). It's possible that what we both said is true.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fans should be cognizant enough of the limitations on their knowledge. Very few are professional athletes, and none are members of the Washington Capitals or its management. Whatever experience with a "tight, bonded" team they had in high school or college isn't going to apply much to the Capitals, especially when viewed in hindsight. The bottom line is we don't know what goes on in the locker room, what is said between players and coaches, what happens during team meetings, and how each one of this collection of individuals feels. Trying to make meaningful insights based on the scraps of information we have would be foolish when compared to those who have access to a much larger amount of information.

In other words, opinions based on too little information shouldn't be given credence.

This just sounds like an appeal to authority fallacy. We don't need to know everything to know something.

Again, are you telling me that tight and fractured teams look the same all the time? We can't recognize signs of either?

Of course the actual roster decisions and full awareness of who's key to the cohesiveness are going to rest with those closest to the situation. That doesn't mean we can dismiss the notion of chemistry altogether, as you seem to be doing, or form no educated opinions about how other people are interacting.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The concept of fans judging a team's state based on a group hug is patently absurd.

I think you need a good long hug.

tumblr_inline_mjw8zw5DzA1qz4rgp.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You and I agree on just how much movement should be made (1 maybe 2 players, probably bottom forward and d-man). It's possible that what we both said is true.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think the one piece that hasnt been addressed is "if" something happens, then "when".

I hope soon. Like in Jan soon. I guess it really depends on the Orpik LTIR issue, so its hard to predict.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

If were just supposed to let people with actual knowledge of the situation make the calls, then what do we talk about on here? And then a step further, why should I listen to you on who should make the calls in the first place?

Its a message board, loosen up a bit.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So we need to trade some premium assets for a player with good contract, health and playing ability.

Ladd/EStaal/Stamkos dreams aren't making the picture clearer.
Gordon types are possibly CGX type scenarios again.
What's left? The player you have to give up your nut for (like Brouwer for Oshie ofc :D).

Flash for Hannan type of a deal. That trade was made in late November, btw.

I'd not trade anyone from current roster (and we know Laich isn't much appealing) but if it takes Bowey - so be it. Bura shouldn't be traded.

Mojo - should be kept too, he's money in several roles and you can't be sure his successor will adapt to those roles so good and in no time.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Komarov would be interesting. I know we'd have to overpay for him, but he'd be a great bottom-6 addition and seems like a great guy to have in the playoffs.

I wonder if a 1st and Laich would be enough? (Laich to make the cap hits work...)

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Some names I've been thinking of;

Matty P; Too expensive? He would add some skill to the bottom 6. (3 mil Yr)
B. Dubinsky; Could he help us beat his old team the rags? (NMC / 5.8 yr)
C. Soderberg; Big guy, didn't like playing him vs the bruins (Full NTC / 4.7 yr)
J. Iginla; One last run before retirement? (NMC / 5.3 yr)

Edit; looked up the contracts..... still like matty p

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Do they bring in a real impact player or two, or two fringe/depth guys that might be in the press box come May? That decision will impact the chemistry of the team significantly. Very interested to see if GmBm takes a "if it ain't broke" stance and grabs a little depth, or if he really goes for it with an impact addition.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Do they bring in a real impact player or two, or two fringe/depth guys that might be in the press box come May? That decision will impact the chemistry of the team significantly. Very interested to see if GmBm takes a "if it ain't broke" stance and grabs a little depth, or if he really goes for it with an impact addition.

I just don't see where an "impact" guy can be brought in short of a dominate 3rd line type. Unless they made a move for another big time scorer, they've got plenty of play makers in the top 6 and I think the group as a whole can score plenty fine if you aren't counting Ovi with them. Beyond that, it'd be insanely expensive.

Maybe they go for another big time defender? I mean, Schdmit has played great and Alzner/Niskanen has been awesome so where do you improve that? I feel like Goalie is basically laughable to make a move their.

And even if they wanted to make one of those moves, gotta give to get and I don't see us getting someone like that without unloading Burakovsky which the front office has said they don't want to do. I think, whatever we're aiming for, will have to basically be Mojo + 1st + Prospect as the ceiling.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Some options I like: John Mitchell (COL), Mikael Backlund (CGY), Michael Grabner (TOR), Jamie McGinn (BUF), Brandon Prust (VAN), Nicklas Grossman (ARI), Mike Weber (BUF), Zach Redmond (COL), Roman Polak (TOR) and Luke Schenn (PHI). Mitchell & Backlund aren't rentals and given how jumbled the Pacific is who knows who ends up selling in that division. The rest are basically depth players.

I like the idea of giving up some prime assets (Vrana or Samsonov) for someone in their prime that could help this year and next potentially but it's hard to say who might be available beyond typical rentals. I don't know that there's an impact rental target out there that would justify giving up prime assets for.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Do we have any prospect playing in the WJC? Vrana? Samsonov? Siegenthaler?

Siegenthaler (SUI), Vanecek (CZE), Samsonov (RUI) are all at the WJC, I believe. Vrana would've made the team (I assume) but I think he's still injured.

Hopefully Vanecek and Samsonov put on a show in net! :handclap:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Siegenthaler (SUI), Vanecek (CZE), Samsonov (RUI) are all at the WJC, I believe. Vrana would've made the team (I assume) but I think he's still injured.

Hopefully Vanecek and Samsonov put on a show in net! :handclap:

Samsonov is already good enough to get solid numbers at the pro level in the KHL with Magnitogorsk. I'm sure he can handle the kids at the WJC (except maybe the beasts like Matthews or Crouse).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I just don't see where an "impact" guy can be brought in short of a dominate 3rd line type. Unless they made a move for another big time scorer, they've got plenty of play makers in the top 6 and I think the group as a whole can score plenty fine if you aren't counting Ovi with them. Beyond that, it'd be insanely expensive.

Maybe they go for another big time defender? I mean, Schdmit has played great and Alzner/Niskanen has been awesome so where do you improve that? I feel like Goalie is basically laughable to make a move their.

If they make an impact move, I see room to upgrade at 2LW or D. Mojo has been pretty uneven this year, and Bura's struggles are well documented. Adding a 2LW at the deadline would bolster the forward corps depth significanctly, and push both Mojo and Bura down the depth chart.

D is tough because the D has been excellent without Orpik. Is there really room to improve there without adding an elite talent? Probably not for what it would cost, but I don't believe in Orpik as a difference maker at this stage of his career, and who knows if Schmidt will play this well all season. If there's a 2nd pairing D to be had for a reasonable price, I'd at least kick the tires.

As for G, either Holtby is healthy or not. They aren't going to add a #1G unless he's hurt, and there's no reason to think he'll be hurt, so forget it.

Having thought about it, 2LW seems like the ideal spot for an impact upgrade.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
As far as deadline goes I think of course they'll want to add some vet on D just for depth purposes. We all assume Orpik we'll be back but I half waiting for the other shoe to drop with news of a season ending surgery, etc.. As far as forward would not mind Ladd as a 3rd/2nd line tweener depth.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Samsonov is already good enough to get solid numbers at the pro level in the KHL with Magnitogorsk. I'm sure he can handle the kids at the WJC (except maybe the beasts like Matthews or Crouse).
Unfortunately U20 Russia defense doesn't resemble the 2014 KHL champions in any way.

Would someone please chreate a "Caps prospects 2016 WJC watch" thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad